• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Engagement Attire Recommendations

Cidermonk

Reaction score
In mid-May, I will be proposing to my significant other of seven years in Savannah, Georgia. There will be a hidden photographer present so I will want to look my best. Any recommendations for attire for the event? It will be late morning at the Wormsloe Historic Site. Weather should be in the high 60s to mid 70s. I've included the photographer's work at the site below.
1618928301512.png

BPL Esq

Reaction score
What would you normally wear in similar circumstances (absent the engagement part of it)? What can you reasonably wear without raising suspicion about what's happening, and what do you anticipate telling her about what the 'dress code' is for the morning at Wormsloe (if anything)? If she's dressed casually and you dress up for the secret pictures, there's going to be a bit of a mismatch, and she may wish she'd known to dress up a bit more. If you're normally a cargo short and sneakers guy, a sportcoat and chinos (probably a good choice in isolation) may seem very odd to her going in.

Last edited:

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If she's dressed casually and you dress up for the secret pictures, there's going to be a bit of a mismatch, and she may wish she'd known to dress up a but more.

This. You obviously know your partner better than we do, but if you are thinking about 'dressing up' for this, I'd do a separate photo session so that they can have the same opportunity to dress up as well. Otherwise dress the way you'd normally dress for such an outing.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with both of the above. I would also add this thought: be sure a professional photo shot is something your new fiance would want. Otherwise, it can come off the wrong way - i.e it's a photo about you and YOUR proposal. As a hobbyist photographer who used to run a side business I will suggest having the photog there could go either way - it depends on your significant other's personality. In any case, you certainly don't want to upstage your significant - they're dressed sloppy and you're not AND you hired a photographer for it. So give that all a thought so the grand plan doesn't backfire

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is, thankfully, no dress code for marriage proposals, which can take place on the beach, at the top of a Ferris wheel, or (more often than not) in a bed—the latter venue presumably without a hired photographer.

Back in the day, a proposal was actually made to the father of the bride—in which case you would wear your nicest business suit and necktie. Assuming you are not first seeking the approval of her dad, you’re free to dress as you wish when you take the knee.

Without wanting to judge too harshly your plan to have a paparazzo hiding in the bushes, I might instead suggest one modern sartorial accessory: the selfie stick.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A friend of mine proposed to his wife in a photo booth. The guise was to get dressed up for the photo booth, and then he asked her to marry him while the photo booth was snapping. The photos ended up looking a bit more organic that way, but also charming.

Cidermonk

Reaction score
I truly appreciate all of the advice. As we're going to be on vacation, we tend to dress nicer than we otherwise would at home. I plan to encourage her to dress nicely so that we can take pictures of each other at the venue. I will be reasonable though given that wearing a suit would be very odd. Likely, I'll just match the formality of her attire.

I agree with both of the above. I would also add this thought: be sure a professional photo shot is something your new fiance would want. Otherwise, it can come off the wrong way - i.e it's a photo about you and YOUR proposal. As a hobbyist photographer who used to run a side business I will suggest having the photog there could go either way - it depends on your significant other's personality. In any case, you certainly don't want to upstage your significant - they're dressed sloppy and you're not AND you hired a photographer for it. So give that all a thought so the grand plan doesn't backfire

Regarding the decision to have a photographer. This was at my partner's request. Personally, I would have preferred to propose privately and then have an engagement photoshoot at a later point, but she has stressed that she wants pictures of the moment itself. I've even mentioned this to her several times but she seems determined otherwise. Happy wife, happy life.

Pulpo

Reaction score
Congratulations to you both! I went through a very similar dilemma this past November. Was hesitant about doing proposal photos and coordinating them was stressful, but they turned out great and I'm so happy I went through with them. There's really no substitute for capturing that moment.

Honestly they turned out much better than the more "posed" ones we got all dressed up for with the same photographer later on.

We were going to a museum and I told her we should wear something nice because it was probably going to be our last time going outside before winter set in lol. She also knows I'm weird so getting randomly overdressed on a Saturday afternoon wasn't super suspicious.

Still amazed that she didn't get tipped off / extremely pissed when I suggested she put on some makeup before leaving the house lmao.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife got back at me for my casual proposal with the most over the top engagement photos ever. Follow your to be's wishes for sure!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads