• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Energy drinks . . . are they safe?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
6,714
Reaction score
163
I read this article and the message I got was, in moderation, they are fine.

I don't like coffee, so my Monster each morning should not be a big deal, but even on the can it says to not drink more than 3 a day.

Obviously, if you abuse any substance, be it energy drinks, Starbucks or whatever, it is going to be a problem.

These kids ingesting massive amounts of energy drinks with No-Doz pills are just stupid, but it's no surprise. Every generation pushes the envelope.
 

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
2,114
Reaction score
1
Well said. I tried an energy drink at a Quixtar meeting. Couldn't handle it. Coffee, for me. Black and strong.
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
I gave a speech a month or so ago about how things like energy drinks tend to eat away at your pocketbook, and used a colleague's daily routine (1 Starbucks, 1 Red Bull, 1 Monster, 1 Sonic fountain beverage) to illustrate how the dollars tend to pile up. From a health perspective, the sugar and caffeine can be troubling in large doses, but - gee whiz - the companies are raking it in ($$$) and that's bad news for the kids who are getting hooked.

What was most telling was this - a day before speaking, I casually asked a few folks for their empty cans. From my small office, I got a shopping bag full of empties that afternoon.
 

Young Scrappy

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
324
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
Well said. I tried an energy drink at a Quixtar meeting. Couldn't handle it. Coffee, for me. Black and strong.

I'd quit quixtar first.


"Cocaine looks so freaking tight. I NEED THIS STUFF. Next weekend, me and 3 friends are going to take a 6 hour roadtrip to NYC just to get our hands on this stuff.

Hahahaha, it must be peruvian
 

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,238
Reaction score
197
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
"Cocaine looks so freaking tight. I NEED THIS STUFF. Next weekend, me and 3 friends are going to take a 6 hour roadtrip to NYC just to get our hands on this stuff.

Anybody that uses the word "tight" in that context should consume twenty energy drinks in the span of an hour. That should solve that problem.
 

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2006
Messages
2,114
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
I'd quit quixtar first.


"Cocaine looks so freaking tight. I NEED THIS STUFF. Next weekend, me and 3 friends are going to take a 6 hour roadtrip to NYC just to get our hands on this stuff.

Hahahaha, it must be peruvian


Oh, give me a break. I attended a meeting, to help out a friend. Wouldn't join that circus, for all the energy this side of Manhattan Island.
 

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
7,031
Reaction score
17
Energy drinks with all those carbs and sugar are just going to make you fat and get you hooked. If you want one every now and then cuz you like the taste, then do it, otherwise stick to water and exercise.

If you are in search of some real energy though, I have heard some great things about this cocktail:
http://www.ei-resource.org/Articles/cfs-art20.asp

The d-ribose in particular is quite expensive. Probably cost you $100/month but I hear good things. I take some this stuff already but you need to take all too see the full benefit.
 

MCsommerreid

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2006
Messages
497
Reaction score
0
I've been basically living off energy drinks during college. The good ones are a great way to get a swift wakeup kick to the pants.

Biggest downside in the short term is that some of them taste like absolute crap.
 

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2004
Messages
3,238
Reaction score
197
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
Biggest downside in the short term is that some of them taste like absolute crap.

So does coffee.
 

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
7,031
Reaction score
17
Originally Posted by MCsommerreid
I've been basically living off energy drinks during college. The good ones are a great way to get a swift wakeup kick to the pants.

Biggest downside in the short term is that some of them taste like absolute crap.



I just "Do the Dew". mmmmmm. Bad for me, but so worth it.
 

Liberty Ship

Senior Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Energy drinks with all those carbs and sugar are just going to make you fat and get you hooked. If you want one every now and then cuz you like the taste, then do it, otherwise stick to water and exercise.

If you are in search of some real energy though, I have heard some great things about this cocktail:
http://www.ei-resource.org/Articles/cfs-art20.asp

The d-ribose in particular is quite expensive. Probably cost you $100/month but I hear good things. I take some this stuff already but you need to take all too see the full benefit.



That's a great link, thanks. From what I 've seen on the labels, I wouldn't touch an "energy" drink. You're setting yourself up for a crash. Not only blood sugar instability, but you'll blow out your adrenals, and long term, the caffiene will be a drag on your liver. (I was surprised to learn a couple of years ago that caffiene and fried foods are as big a risk to the liver as alcohol.) There will come a point where the "energy drinks" put you into a syndrome of fatigue from which they can not help you recover, even short term.

I was going to recommend CoQ10 in large quantities like 100+mg/day; eleuthero, perhaps Sibergin; a multiple with huge amounts of B complex; and 750mg magnesium/day for starters.

It looks to me like those drinks will cause weight gain, not just because of the calories in the sugar content, but in the fact that they will mess up your glycemic response.

I drink one cup of black coffee each morning and that's it as far as stimulants go. I'm in my 50's and my energy lever is through the roof compared to anyone else I know, including people in their 30's. I work at least 10 hours a day in a high stress job. Minimize caffiene, no refined carbs or sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, and supplement.
 

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
6,714
Reaction score
163
Originally Posted by Liberty Ship
That's a great link, thanks. From what I 've seen on the labels, I wouldn't touch an "energy" drink. You're setting yourself up for a crash. Not only blood sugar instability, but you'll blow out your adrenals, and long term, the caffiene will be a drag on your liver. (I was surprised to learn a couple of years ago that caffiene and fried foods are as big a risk to the liver as alcohol.) There will come a point where the "energy drinks" put you into a syndrome of fatigue from which they can not help you recover, even short term.

I was going to recommend CoQ10 in large quantities like 100+mg/day; eleuthero, perhaps Sibergin; a multiple with huge amounts of B complex; and 750mg magnesium/day for starters.

It looks to me like those drinks will cause weight gain, not just because of the calories in the sugar content, but in the fact that they will mess up your glycemic response.

I drink one cup of black coffee each morning and that's it as far as stimulants go. I'm in my 50's and my energy lever is through the roof compared to anyone else I know, including people in their 30's. I work at least 10 hours a day in a high stress job. Minimize caffiene, no refined carbs or sugar, especially high fructose corn syrup, and supplement.


Hadn't heard that about caffeine and fried foods related to the liver and would like to know more.

I try and steer clear of high fructose corn syrup as well. That's one reason I prefer Monster Energy as it is made with real sugar. Shouldn't mess with the glycemic response like most sodas do - right?
 

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2006
Messages
7,031
Reaction score
17
Originally Posted by Bradford
Hadn't heard that about caffeine and fried foods related to the liver and would like to know more. I try and steer clear of high fructose corn syrup as well. That's one reason I prefer Monster Energy as it is made with real sugar. Shouldn't mess with the glycemic response like most sodas do - right?
Regular sugar is better than high fructose corn syrup, but I would still think that since regular sugar is somewhat refined, it still isn't good for you. I'd think the best is to get your sugars from fruit and other foods. However, monster is better than something like Jolt I'm sure. As for the CoQ10, it is a rather large molecule. I get the really expensive stuff with Q-gel Mega bioavailability technology. It is almost $50 for a 2 month supply. I have read reports though that CoQ10 even in excessive quantities will not cause any side effects. The basic stuff is pretty cheap at Costco. It is a strong anti-oxidant and has been known to put cancer patients back into remission long term. Wish I had read about this stuff when my dog got cancer 2 years ago so I could have maybe given her some. Ever since I started taking vitamins and proper supplements I look younger and my hair grew back. I'm only 25 and I was starting to look 35. It is amazing how much you are what you eat. If you want to cleanse your liver there are some liver cleansing techniques you can use. I have read about home remedies involving lemon juice and a few other simple ingredients. I have not tried them yet. Colonics are supposed to help as well with liver cleansing. I have only had one but plan on going back for another.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 131 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 248 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 8.9%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,707
Messages
9,222,823
Members
193,601
Latest member
CitizenJustin
Top