Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

End of an Era | Johnston & Murphy shuts down US production/factory/services

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rdstour, Nov 13, 2017.

1. rdstour

rdstour Senior Member

Just a PSA.

Heard some rumblings about this and noticed they scrapped the refurbishment/recrafting section of their website, so finally gave corporate a call to confirm:
    • Johnston & Murphy just shut down their sole US factory in Tennessee, which provided both refurbishment services, as well as production of "Crown Aristocrafts" and "Custom Select" shoes
    • This is a huge blow honestly, as it leaves only Allen Edmonds at the mid-range tier, still offering reasonably affordable dress shoes, across a national distribution network, with recrafting services
    • Also a sign of the times, but a sad, but probably inevitable end for Johnston & Murphy--whose American made shoes, through the last 150+ years (and for every president since the late 1800s) were top notch.

Granted, they shifted their shoes mostly to other countries a while ago (Mexico, then India and China now), but I always bought them because they were more affordable than AE, more comfortable (for me--I liked how they did the poron insole better than AE), and with the security of knowing they could be refurbished to original lasts.

I have a handful of vintage "Made in America" pairs from the 80s-90s, and the quality then was still exquisite. Older pairs are even better.

If anyone has recommendations for a cobbler who does great work with J&M, I would appreciate it. I know B. Nelson does great work overall, but if there's someone who specializes moreso with the J&M construction (given the Trampoline system and all that)--would greatly appreciate it.

Guess my business shifts to AE--let's just hope they can still retain their place in the market.

2. Omega Man

Omega Man Senior Member

Well, I wonder whether (and when) AE will go down the same route....
    While some of us do appreciate shoe re-crafting; buy it, wear it and dispose it is probably more prevalent in this day and age.

3. rdstour

rdstour Senior Member

Anyone else have any experiences/recollections to share?

4. papa kot

papa kot Senior Member

I liked JM shoes as they were always easier to break-in than AEs and Aldens. However, I've always questions the company's strategy as JM seemed to be everywhere: clothing, accessories, shoes. Add an interesting distribution network that involves stores at major airports and you end up with a company that, IMHO, is a bit lost.

By the way, buying an expensive pair of shoes from a company that does not offer re-crafting services is not an easy decision. This is why, in part, I default to Alden. JM just made the decision for me.

5. rdstour

rdstour Senior Member

Can anyone recommend a good cobbler who can do a good job with these shoes? Especially considering i have a mix of traditional cork soles and poron/cork/trampoline shoes?

Would like to get both types done really well.