• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EmporioArmani suit - Is this a nice look?

kkraemer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

so I'm probably going to buy this suit next week (if they have a size that fits me, we'll see about that, but it's very likely going to be an EA suit; I have attached a screengrab for your quick looks). My parents are going to pay for it, it's my first suit in such a pricing category (800-900€). My current suit is a Strellson one i bought 2 years ago, but it's gotten a bit small (it was about 300€ I think).

Do you think that it's a nice look for a 21-year-old? I'm going to wear it to Law-Faculty-Receptions and other balls throughout the year. The Strellson one is plain black, so I wanted a striped one this time, and I especially like the look of this one, because it's still discreet.

Am I correct to assume that with a two-button-suit, one usually unbuttons the the lower button?

And a last question: can I wear a white Strellson shirt I already own with that? It's the nicest looking white shirt I have (it was about 80€ or so I think), and I'm not to keen on spending another 200+€ on a new shirt (even though my dad's paying, but I'm really not a spoiled brat, and they're buying it for me because I finished third in my class last year). However, I am worried it might look a bit cheap. Same for my shoes, I don't have them with me right now, so I don't know the brand, they were about 130€, but they still look pretty new, I've worn them twice.

I am, however, probably going to buy a new silk tie (black). I really like the look of the one the model is wearing, but that might be the lighting.

Is there anything else I should know, about EA suits or in general?

Looking forward to your comments.

danyllau

Reaction score
-the design might have a lot of subtle flare, and you might want something more conservative for Law-Faculty-Receptions? some EA are not discreet at all
-Pants sometimes are cut very wide depending on style.
-800 Euro is quite steep for EA, that's like retail of retail, maybe if u get a lot of free tailoring service... but ur parents paying for it anyways.

izlat

Reaction score
+ one on watching out with the pants.

I have some that are quite wide towards the bottoms, and also others that taper almost severely. These are old purchases from years ago. You don't want to get something extreme and not like it next season (I myself am a bit careful where I wear these different styles - e.g. the tapered ones don't get to my office very frequently)

kkraemer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by danyllau
-the design might have a lot of subtle flare, and you might want something more conservative for Law-Faculty-Receptions? some EA are not discreet at all
-Pants sometimes are cut very wide depending on style.
-800 Euro is quite steep for EA, that's like retail of retail, maybe if u get a lot of free tailoring service... but ur parents paying for it anyways.

1) No, that should be ok, what I meant with "discreet", was that I don't want the suit to have huge stripes looking like Mafia-Big-Business.

2) Hm, judging from the picture, the suit looks normal to me! What exactly do you mean? Wide legs, etc.? But well, I'll see about that when I'm trying it on.

3) What other brand would you recommend? My budget is 1000€, I'm going to buy it next Wednesday, and my parents are coming over and we're going to Brussels, because there is an EA store - do you know any other good stores in that city?

kkraemer

Reaction score
Oh, and I forgot: the breast pocket looks like it's very high on the suit - is it still possible to use a pocket square?

kkraemer

Reaction score
Oh, and moreover, could somebody answer my question about the EA suit and Strellson shirt combo?

Also, I'm going to need that info by Tuesday evening
smile.gif

Thanks guys.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally, nicer can be had for 800euro; Italian certainly. Where are you?
Always do up both buttons.
sarcasm.gif

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in Italy, an Armani product, under 1000 Euros is pretty good. You are getting a modern look and their full suits are not crazy like their casual can occasionally be. I know a lot of people that find the EA suits to be a great value, especially on sale in the US they are as low as $400 on sale.

kkraemer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Generally, nicer can be had for 800euro; Italian certainly. Where are you?
Always do up both buttons.
sarcasm.gif

I'm between Luxembourg and Brussels. What do you have in mind?

Does the "sarcasm"-smiley mean, I should not do up both buttons? I'm a little confused, since I've always been told, a three-button-suit is, from top, sometimes-always-never, and a two-button suit always-never ..
eh.gif

And again, I'm referring you to my Strellson-Armani-Combo-Question (see above) ;-)

Thanks.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PaoloM
Made in Italy, an Armani product, under 1000 Euros is pretty good. You are getting a modern look and their full suits are not crazy like their casual can occasionally be. I know a lot of people that find the EA suits to be a great value, especially on sale in the US they are as low as $400 on sale.

Quite. Why pay retail for this season? Going to an Armani outlet would offer a good saving on 800e. Even so, other designers, not necessarily ultra-branded, come in way under 800. Every day I pass shops offering other, less well-known (Italian) brands, for around 450-500. However, if you're might be influenced in your choice by the recognition factor - "Armani? Neat, man...' -, I can understand the safety of the choice.
If you had long enough to wait, and hung around this forum before buying, you might, just might, regret such a purchase in say six months' time. On the other hand, you might not. Especially if your folks are coughing-up the readies.

danyllau

Reaction score
You need to post the shirt, b/c it's really hard to tell.... some ppl here can wear Jantzen of utter crap fabrics and looks decent if not great with high end suits.

Btw, I believe u usually button the top for 2-button and the middle for three buttons.

kkraemer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Quite. Why pay retail for this season? Going to an Armani outlet would offer a good saving on 800e. Even so, other designers, not necessarily ultra-branded, come in way under 800. Every day I pass shops offering other, less well-known (Italian) brands, for around 450-500. However, if you're might be influenced in your choice by the recognition factor - "Armani? Neat, man...' -, I can understand the safety of the choice. If you had long enough to wait, and hung around this forum before buying, you might, just might, regret such a purchase in say six months' time. On the other hand, you might not. Especially if your folks are coughing-up the readies.
Thanks, I totally get your point. I think I'm going to try on the Armani suit I posted in the first message (because I really really love the design), and then stroll around Brussels to see if anything else could fit my taste. I don't know if any of you know the city, but I've heard that Avenue Louise has a lot of "upper-class" stores, and as long as it stays below 1k, I'm willing to accept my father's generosity for once (even if I already have a bad conscience
tounge.gif
) @danyllau: This Saturday, I should be able to take a pic of my Strellson shirt. I guess it looks kinda nice, but I'd like to show it to you guys, so you might wanna take a look then
smile.gif
Edit: before I forget, i asked something about a pocket square, I really like the look of a straight-folded hankie, but the breast pocket just looks so misplaced on that suit? Just too high up? Or is that normal?

wind88

Reaction score
Try to look for Ralph Lauren Black Label suits. The cut is very modern as well and the quality is just much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads