• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emperor needs new clothes

Uberjebus

Reaction score
As I've been wearing t-shirts and jeans most of my life I decided it's time to add some style... well completely change directions really. I'm in Winnipeg so it seems my choices are limited, as I've read in a couple of related Wpg threads. I'm 40 so I'm not looking to be dressing like Timberlake but I'm not ready for Grandpa gear from Eddie Bauer either.

I'm in the healthcare field so I wear scrubs to work, no need to buy clothes for that. I will need a suit for interviews and such. I'm employed but relocating to Ottawa and my old Gap Oxford button down isn't cutting it these days.

For the casual wardrobe I like the jeans/blazer look. I've been looking at the GQ 50 best dressed men slideshow online and getting some inspiration there. I'm looking to add slowly and not go on a spree or anything. Kids and bills will keep my budget 'realistic'.

Any recommendations on the made to order Harry Rosen suits (as it's one of the few choices) and what are the thoughts on Hugo Boss. Harry Rosen added a Boss section when they expanded their store here a while back. Rambling and vague I know but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't read your post, but it would have benefited from using the carriage return a few times.

Uberjebus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mildly Consumptive
I haven't read your post, but it would have benefited from using the carriage return a few times.
The post is now ready for your viewing pleasure
smile.gif

Uberjebus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fcuknu
well thats an old reference.

And an obvious one so I'm surprised it hasn't been abused... or perhaps it is I didn't do a title search prior to posting
smile.gif

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uberjebus
The post is now ready for your viewing pleasure
smile.gif

Huzzah! Your in luck. Harry Rosen is holding their annual made-to-measure events in your area shortly. I recommend you check out their J.P.Tilford/Samuelsohn line. It is better made, and more classically styled than Hugo Boss. Also, it is made in Canada, which is a bonus in this wintry economic climate.
\t \t J.P. Tilford by Samuelsohn Special Event, from Saturday, April 4th to Friday, April 10th Featuring Made to Measure and Ready to Wear. Select from a range of sizes and styles from off the rack. Should you not fit off the rack, express your unique style with our complete Made to Measure program of exceptional fabrics for suits and sports jackets. Whether your desire is for a 2-button suit, a double breasted suit or a sports jacket, you'll find a fabric to suit your personal taste. Special prices apply for Made to Measure garments during this event. A representative will be instore Thursday, April 2nd and Friday, April 3rd.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or, wait until you move to Ottawa and then take a day trip to Montreal and order something bespoke from Achod at the Cours Mont-Royal Rosen.

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
welcome to the forum - you have come to the right place.

Uberjebus

Reaction score
Or, wait until you move to Ottawa and then take a day trip to Montreal and order something bespoke from Achod at the Cours Mont-Royal Rosen.
That would be very nice indeed, but I shudder to think what that would set me back. I know they start at $3400 at Rosen's in Toronto. Just noticed that is a Rosen store (duh) There are many more shopping options in TO and Montreal but I think I'd like to have at least one suit ready go when I get there. Just in case
wink.gif

Uberjebus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rioni
welcome to the forum - you have come to the right place.

Thanks. Certainly no shortage of info here, it's a bit overwhelming.
bounce2.gif

Uberjebus

Reaction score
Huzzah!

Your in luck. Harry Rosen is holding their annual made-to-measure events in your area shortly. I recommend you check out their J.P.Tilford/Samuelsohn line. It is better made, and more classically styled than Hugo Boss. Also, it is made in Canada, which is a bonus in this wintry economic climate.

I'll have to mark that on the calendar and go check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Mildly Consumptive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Uberjebus
I'll have to mark that on the calendar and go check it out. Thanks for the tip.

No problem. Despite my first post, I actually like helping people.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads