• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"emo" sunglasses - square and thick...

Reaction score
I've pretty much fallen in love with some Paul Smith sunglasses:

http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/paul-smit...roductId=15867

But they're £186. That's $262. That's a lot. I can't really justify that much when I'll probably lose or break them.

Can someone recommend me some sunglasses in a similar sort of shape (thick, black, rectangular) for not that much cash ($5 off ebay is fine, but no fakes obv')

I will love you forever.

Thanks in advance...

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
They had this model last season and I picked it up for $80 on Gilt. The only difference is that the inside of the frame isn't teal.

Your're in luck: Gilt is having a Paul Smith sunglasses sale today.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestWorthing
I've pretty much fallen in love with some Paul Smith sunglasses: http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/paul-smit...roductId=15867 But they're £186. That's $262. That's a lot. I can't really justify that much when I'll probably lose or break them.
those are my daily sunglasses, easily the best fitting ones I've ever had since plastic frames dont often fit **** faces very well without sliding off. Worth the $ if you arent the lose/break type of fella I tried on a similar pair from Moseley Tribes that were about $160 retail

Patrician

Reaction score
I wouldnt call them 'emo', just very SoHo-artist-with-tight-jeans-and-a-too-large-'hip'-tshirt-together-with-a-scarf....ish.

dave

Reaction score
$2-300 is a decent price for a good pair of frames. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, good frames are worth the expense. more so than anything else you wear. they are the first thing people see when you wear them. they are ON YOUR FACE!

buy $300+ jeans, $250+ for a shirt, $500 for shoes and $60 glasses **** the whole thing up. you'll only ever break one pair of expensive glasses, after that you'll learn to take care of them.

oh, and I'm looking at a pair of these if I can find a pair to try on:
http://www.paulsmith.co.uk/paul-smit...roductId=15882

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger

I'm not a member, could you invite me? Tomeck. Gmail. Thank you.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dave
$2-300 is a decent price for a good pair of frames. I've said it before and I'm sure I'll say it again, good frames are worth the expense. more so than anything else you wear. they are the first thing people see when you wear them. they are ON YOUR FACE!

buy $300+ jeans, $250+ for a shirt, $500 for shoes and $60 glasses **** the whole thing up. you'll only ever break one pair of expensive glasses, after that you'll learn to take care of them.

I do see your point, I think I'm talking myself round
smile.gif
My other problem is the same as yours, need to find somewhere to try them on, I'll pop into selfridges on the way home...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
you'll only ever break one pair of expensive glasses, after that you'll learn to take care of them.

QFT, I've only broken one pair of expensive sunglasses many moons ago

and those PS sunglasses are currently my bone of contention. They should have been delivered last monday, but got stuck in Fedex customs since apparently glasses that come into the US need 1. Drop Ball Statement 2. Original manufacture info so now it's in limbo while the PS site sorts out the needed paperwork to Fedex.
frown.gif

So if you do order those from PS, make sure in the notes you ask them to include those 2 pieces of info.

dave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
QFT, I've only broken one pair of expensive sunglasses many moons ago

and those PS sunglasses are currently my bone of contention. They should have been delivered last monday, but got stuck in Fedex customs since apparently glasses that come into the US need 1. Drop Ball Statement 2. Original manufacture info so now it's in limbo while the PS site sorts out the needed paperwork to Fedex.
frown.gif

So if you do order those from PS, make sure in the notes you ask them to include those 2 pieces of info.

thanks for the heads up. I'm hoping my local Paul Smith eyewear shop can order them for me. they love me there since I'm blind as a bat and can't wear contacts.

now that I think about it though, anyone know if the ones on the PS site are made by Oliver Peoples or are they just fashion frames?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Oliver Peoples makes most of his frames, the "Show" glasses you linked are Made in Japan, so not sure who's making those.

MLIW

Reaction score
The Paul Smith frames at the top are pretty nice, Im not sure however if you could really categorise them as "emo" My impression was that emo ones where slightly more rounded?!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'm hoping my local Paul Smith eyewear shop can order them for me.

keep in mind if you order direct from UK site, it's $340 shipped next day Intl (what I was charged)

if your local store orders them they'll definitely be over $500

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
They had this model last season and I picked it up for $80 on Gilt. The only difference is that the inside of the frame isn't teal.

I can't find it if they are, do you have a link?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads