• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emmy Black tie Dos and Don'ts...

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else watch the Emmy's tonight? It's amazing some of these male celebrities can make so much money and dress so horribly.

What is with these men showing up to a black tie affair in business suits? Being an average citicen I would feel like a total douche being in a business suit when all of the other men present are in tuxedos-so how should one feel being dressed so inappropriately while being broadcast to millions of homes?

I have to say however that Jeremy Piven and Alec Baldwin really looked sharp tonight-they must have been dressed by professionals.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you see the ill-fitting tux and plastic FIH tie that Ryan Seacrest was sporting?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Did you see the ill-fitting tux and plastic FIH tie that Ryan Seacrest was sporting?

Yeah, and then I left the room.
laugh.gif

beasty

Reaction score
Anyone else watch the Emmy's tonight? It's amazing some of these male celebrities can make so much money and dress so horribly.

What is with these men showing up to a black tie affair in business suits? Being an average citicen I would feel like a total douche being in a business suit when all of the other men present are in tuxedos-so how should one feel being dressed so inappropriately while being broadcast to millions of homes?

I have to say however that Jeremy Piven and Alec Baldwin really looked sharp tonight-they must have been dressed by professionals.

I thought most of the celebs wear sponsored clothing?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I only caught a glimpse, but it was interesting to compare the apparel of Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart and Steve Carrell. Colbert looked pretty well put together, from what I could see.
Colbert is generally always dressed well when he's out in public and always to the occasion.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Colbert looked very nice (peak lapels, bow, pocket square, etc.), and Jeremy Piven's tux was just smashing. He even wore a waistcoat.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by beasty
I thought most of the celebs wear sponsored clothing?
Quite a few must have been sponsored by Men's Wearhouse.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Quite a few must have been sponsored by Men's Wearhouse.

lol.

i dont mind if guys wear black business suits to such events, i have worn a black business suit as an usher to one of my friend's wedding before.

the only thing that i dont like is the shoes they tend to wear. bacco bucci and if they try to be 'in the know' in regards to shoes, it is Armani shoes.

i remember one time, samuel jackson was being interviewed for attire wear for emmys and such, and he stated that his wife said he needed to get serious with his shoes, that his shoes are key and must wear quality , high end , stylish shoes .
so she bought him Armani shoes.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoe

i remember one time, samuel jackson was being interviewed for attire wear for emmys and such, and he stated that his wife said he needed to get serious with his shoes, that his shoes are key and must wear quality , high end , stylish shoes .
so she bought him Armani shoes.

A single tear just ran down my eye.

mbell

Reaction score
Did anyone see what the male dancers were wearing when Tony Bennett was singing? Formal jackets with tails, shirts untucked and completely unbuttoned, white braces dangling from their pants. I do understand it was a theatrical setting and really a costume, but it just looked really wrong. Mr. Bennett himself was not in a tux, but looked great (although no cuff showing on the hand without the mic). The female dancers, well...
blush.gif

mike

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Wife and I watched the interviews sections and both were less than impressed with the attire.

3/4ths of the men failed to shave. The poorly fitting everyday suits generally looked awful. Piven had the face hair issue too, but at least wore appropriate formal wear. Although I think it was a mismatch for his frame - the lapels went to his arms. For a thick guy he benefits from a more balanced look.

Overall, I'd say 1 in 20 looked appropriate. 1 in 100 looked like a movie star.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I watched very little of it and kinda threw up in my mouth a little bit at some of the attire. The only person I saw (limited watching) that seemed to get it right was Patrick Dempsey.

Frankly I was disappointed at the number of people that bagged the tux altogether and just wore suits. But that was infinitely better than the jungle of long ties with tuxes on display. I thought after the return to the bow tie at the Oscars this year that we'd finally gotten over that bad look, but apparently it's alive and well in TV land. Bummer.

a-rock

Reaction score
jeremy priven on entourage generally seems to be dressed well. his suits fit and he looks comfortable in them while running around town on ari gold antics. occasionally he does the whole black suit, black shirt, shiny tie ensemble though which really sucks.

the worst of the emmys was by far simon cowell. sans tie with a dress shirt that appeared to be unbuttoned down to his belly.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by a-rock
the worst of the emmys was by far simon cowell. sans tie with a dress shirt that appeared to be unbuttoned down to his belly.

At least he didnt wear his too tight t-shirt that exposes his nipples.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads