• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emergency Wedding Guest Attire

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In about 12hrs time I will be a guest at some wedding. I'm essentially an emergency +1 there.
These are the only ones that are close enough to wedding ties. Which to go with? And perhaps I have to lose the square too. Really lacking a solid white cotton/linen one.

Silver Grey check:

Pale Silver Herringbone:

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Both ties are fine. Pick the one that you like best. Lose the square, although I encourage you to dart out to buy a white one.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the check so it's probably best to go with the solid.

sns23

Reaction score
You are a guest, who was not even originally going to be there. Nobody cares what tie you wear.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In about 12hrs time I will be a guest at some wedding. I'm essentially an emergency +1 there.
These are the only ones that are close enough to wedding ties. Which to go with? And perhaps I have to lose the square too. Really lacking a solid white cotton/linen one.

Pale Silver Herringbone:

This one ^ The middle one. Have a great time!

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Either tie will look good. I slightly prefer the herringbone. F. Corbera is right that a plain white handkerchief would be somewhat better, but I think it would look fine with the herringbone, so long as the polka dot isn't showing (i.e., as long as it's just the white and the blue trim showing).

Have fun.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar request. This weekend my wife and I are headed to LA for the first time. We'll be attending the wedding of a college friend. Normally, I am a dark suit, white shirt kind of wedding guest as I feel it is proper and traditional. However, I'm trying to determine if I want to step out of my comfort zone a little. I recently purchased a dark purple (plum) gingham dress shirt. So far I have only worn it with jacket only, no tie. But I'm thinking of pairing it with a mid-gray tie with a subtle glen plaid design, and solid charcoal suit. The wedding and reception is in the evening (hence the dark on dark on dark combo) and being held at a downtown rooftop banquet hall / outdoor garden. What do you think? Sprezzy outfit for an LA wedding, or dumb? thanks!

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a similar request. This weekend my wife and I are headed to LA for the first time. We'll be attending the wedding of a college friend. Normally, I am a dark suit, white shirt kind of wedding guest as I feel it is proper and traditional. However, I'm trying to determine if I want to step out of my comfort zone a little. I recently purchased a dark purple (plum) gingham dress shirt. So far I have only worn it with jacket only, no tie. But I'm thinking of pairing it with a mid-gray tie with a subtle glen plaid design, and solid charcoal suit. The wedding and reception is in the evening (hence the dark on dark on dark combo) and being held at a downtown rooftop banquet hall / outdoor garden. What do you think? Sprezzy outfit for an LA wedding, or dumb? thanks!

With this shirt, I think a dark navy / midnight tie would be more suitable (pun intended). And one as plain as possible, given the bold purple check.

Keep everything else but the shirt quiet.

FWIW, I'm a white shirt, silver tie and dark suit kind of guy myself. This, for example , is what I wore to a recent wedding (I was one of the ushers):

I finished it off with a pair of black cap-toed, brogued balmorals.

I just like to be as low-key as possible to honour the elegance of the event. :)

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As long as you are not in the wedding party the Gingham shirt with dark tie and jacket will be just fine, especially that it is an outdoor rooftop setting. Enjoy!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No problem wth the shirt in the context you describe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads