• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Emergency Suit-Bulge Bracket Ibank Interviews!

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dr.no
No chain store will be able to tailor a suit for you within a day or 2. Def buy some shoes in person so you can try before you buy, ditto for shirt. Without more lead time, I think you're only bet is to have your current suit slimmed down by a local tailor.

Depends where you are. I've been in Brooks in DC on more than one occasion when they offered to turn around alterations in 1-2 days for people claiming to have to appear in front of Congress. I think at a service-oriented store such as Brooks or RL, it's possible.

+1 on buying shoes in person.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1-2 day turnaround is possible in many stores if you tell them you have a deadline.

GBer

Reaction score
Please don't go there with brown tassel shoes. That's a good way to get "dinged"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba

63525_623705711839_24807352_36002260_3590819_n.jpg

58307_623705063139_24807352_36002239_5848986_n.jpg

GBer

Reaction score
1-2 day turnaround is possible in many stores if you tell them you have a deadline.
1-2 day turnaround over the weekend? Forget it! Unless you are a good customer, they will not help you even for an "express" charge. More than likely you will need some tailoring and I doubt most would be willing to bump existing clients for some new guy on a beginner's budget. Maybe if you go to a store that's not busy (probably there is a reason for this).

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
For realsies, anyone interviewing you at a bulge couldn't care less how your suit looks. Pick a sartorial horror and I guarantee that you can find it sitting in front of an excel sheet at this very moment within a 5 block radius of 51st & park. Square toes shoes? Check. One-button jackets? Yessir. What must certainly be a quadruple windsor knot? Sure, why not.

Hmmm. Which bank are you thinking about? I often hear people saying things such as, "what an outfit that guy had". Or "check out the tie he's wearing". Once the candidate is out of the room, the talking begins. It's one thing for everyday dress once you've established yourself. Entirely another matter for someone trying to break in. It does depend on which department he is interviewing for. For most of these banks, you will be interviewed and interact with many people. Why not look like you will fit into the company culture? This is part of the assessment.

GBer

Reaction score
You didn't mention which department you are interviewing for. Nor which day is your interview since you have such a tight timeline. Is it for full-time or an internship? It makes a difference. Is it a "Super Day" interview? If it's a client facing job, you better dress the part. It's expected. Dress is a criteria for those positions. Analysts are dragged along for help in client meetings. Not unusual at all. For IT (and other back office), it doesn't matter so much, as long as you don't look like an oddball who doesn't fit into the company culture.

I would assume that you are applying to more than 1 bank and you have gone through at least a couple rounds of interviews to get to this stage. It astounds me that you are trying to do this so late in the game. In a job where you are expected to work 100+ hrs/week, you need to be able to set priorities and manage time effectively. This certainly speaks volumes about you.

Anyway, don't know what your budget is, but it doesn't sound like much. For everything you want, you are looking at minimum $2000. Even that is stretching things with a sale. Don't forget taxes and tailoring fees.

BB has a 25% sales for a few more days. Suggest looking at their "Peal" line for shoes.

On another note:

Sounds like an "entry-level" position. Otherwise I would assume you already have several "uniforms". Therefore NO:

1) French cuff shirts

2) braces

3) animal print ties - stick to something conservative: e.g. stripes

Please only black conservative shoes - suggest oxfords

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.mj
Well have confidence in the knowledge that suit + shoes don't matter at all. Heavy hitters on the street are a veritable murderer's row of completely bald men, stress eaters, and fleece aficionados. Picture, if you will, certain distinguished gentlemen: Lloyd B., Raj R., and Steve C. They're not outliers.

What are you trying to say? Your "English" is difficult to comprehend. All the people you mentioned are wearing very good suits from some of the best tailors. Out of your list, only Lloyd is in banking.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBer
1-2 day turnaround over the weekend? Forget it! Unless you are a good customer, they will not help you even for an "express" charge. More than likely you will need some tailoring and I doubt most would be willing to bump existing clients for some new guy on a beginner's budget. Maybe if you go to a store that's not busy (probably there is a reason for this).

If there was mention of this happening over a weekend than I missed it....leave it to me to assume that something like an interview is going to happen during the working week.

Also, I did not suggest the tassels for the interview, nor did I suggest brown. Black tassels are a staple of the Ibankers wardrobe.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Run, don't walk, to purchase the following:

1. Fat suspenders
2. Giant silk tie
3. Massive Bruno Magli slip ons
4. Prostitute to hang on your arm
5. A bag of cocaine

Get ready to ROLL!!!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SG, you gave some really great advice to a noob with a question that was reasonably thought out. You should get a medal. Hopefully, you won't get banned.
laugh.gif

Honestly if you want to fit in you should consider something like a Brooks Golden Fleece model, which you can get in a 36S, charcoal or dark navy should go without saying.

I wouldn't wear black fleece or a fitzgerald to an I-banking interview, I meet a lot of Ibankers and those guys are super conservative, oxford stripe button downs, suits with pleated pants and fallard ties.

You might also consider polo if the 38S will fit you (should be 18" from shoulder seam to seam). This is how slim polo can

It's an odd navy sportcoat, but polo II model with the waist taken in. Also note that I have my sunglasses in the breast pocket and a large top pocket wallet in the inner pocket.

The pants were tapered down to 7.5" and hemmed with a light break. They're the Dalton model size 30.

In fact the shirt is polo OTR without tailoring.

I intend to do a MTM jacket to match these pants soon.

faketrain

Reaction score
I work on a trading desk in lower Manhattan. I go out with alot of accounts and other dealers on the street regularly, and I always observe what people wear to and from work. Nobody cares what you wear in finance/investment banking really. Its probably the worst dressed profession in the world. I'd rather work with someone that shops at sears that can make me money than an impeccably dressed person with a degree from Harvard.

I'd worry more about your personality than what you wear.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
SG, you gave some really great advice to a noob with a question that was reasonably thought out. You should get a medal. Hopefully, you won't get banned.
laugh.gif

Lols!

ginlimetonic

Reaction score
emergency suit...

e-immersion-suit-000119819-4.jpg

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by faketrain
I work on a trading desk in lower Manhattan. I go out with alot of accounts and other dealers on the street regularly, and I always observe what people wear to and from work. Nobody cares what you wear in finance/investment banking really. Its probably the worst dressed profession in the world. I'd rather work with someone that shops at sears that can make me money than an impeccably dressed person with a degree from Harvard.

I'd worry more about your personality than what you wear.

I would beg to differ. There is a big difference between client-facing front office vs back/mid office. The client does expect you to be well-dressed. Think of it as a uniform. Once you reach a certain level and have that established yourself, yes you can wear red cowboy boots. I knew an MD who did this, but only after he was established.

OP wants into this lifestyle, so he has to pay the entrance fee. Or else he's not allowed in the club.
laugh.gif

Hmmm... What type of personality do you think an I-banker has?
lol8[1].gif
If your shop has an I-bank arm, go try to chat up a conversation with them after telling them your function.

GBer

Reaction score
If there was mention of this happening over a weekend than I missed it....leave it to me to assume that something like an interview is going to happen during the working week.

He mentioned going to Chicago this weekend. I assume he wants them to start immediately - this weekend. Depends on the bank and program, but most of the bigger ones do "super days" which usually fall on Tuesday or Thursday.

I know from experience most tailors don't like to work weekends. What will he do? Get the salesman to mark the suit for the tailor? Hardly ideal.

Bottom line is that OP didn't plan for this, so he will get dinged for it. There are many things in life that you need to plan in advance and allow sufficient time. It doesn't even have to be for I-banking. For any reputable bank, he has more than likely gone through a few rounds of interviews to reach an on-site invitation. He has had plenty of time to prepare. He just thought of this last minute? Incredulous!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads