• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Emergency Suit-Bulge Bracket Ibank Interviews!

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
12
So I have interviews at bulge bracket and top elite ibanks next week and I need to look good. Normally I spend my time on SW&D but I am slowly migrating over here. My interviews are next week and I can make it up to Chicago for the weekend to buy a suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. My old suit is simply too baggy and I want something that is cut well. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.


I am a fairly slim guy, I wear size Small in BoO and I am 5'9. I was wondering if anyone had any brand suggestions for slim suits (not skinny/fashion forward), conservative enough for a bank and cut well. I am also somewhat on a budget, however it is not a set budget and I am willing to pay a bit of premium.


I have started looking into brooks brothers shirts/suits but I heard those are very traditionally cut and suited for bigger guys.

Thank you guys for any help you can give!
 

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
11,916
Reaction score
1,974
Have you tried the BB Fitzgerald Model? That seems to be the slimmest the cut OTR, other than Black Fleece.

You should factor in time at the tailor to shorten sleeves, hem pants, take in waist etc.
 

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
5,625
Reaction score
1,176
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Have you tried the BB Fitzgerald Model? That seems to be the slimmest the cut OTR, other than Black Fleece.

You should factor in time at the tailor to shorten sleeves, hem pants, take in waist etc.


+1. This really is the definitive answer to this question.

/endthread
 

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2007
Messages
5,225
Reaction score
483
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
Have you tried the BB Fitzgerald Model? That seems to be the slimmest the cut OTR, other than Black Fleece.

You should factor in time at the tailor to shorten sleeves, hem pants, take in waist etc.


+1
 

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
12
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a superday coming up and probably need new shoes. Any alternative to Allen Edmond captoes? Im looking max 150$
 

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
12,941
Reaction score
2,280
Honestly if you want to fit in you should consider something like a Brooks Golden Fleece model, which you can get in a 36S, charcoal or dark navy should go without saying. I wouldn't wear black fleece or a fitzgerald to an I-banking interview, I meet a lot of Ibankers and those guys are super conservative, oxford stripe button downs, suits with pleated pants and fallard ties. You might also consider polo if the 38S will fit you (should be 18" from shoulder seam to seam). This is how slim polo can fit:
It's an odd navy sportcoat, but polo II model with the waist taken in. Also note that I have my sunglasses in the breast pocket and a large top pocket wallet in the inner pocket.
The pants were tapered down to 7.5" and hemmed with a light break. They're the Dalton model size 30. In fact the shirt is polo OTR without tailoring. I intend to do a MTM jacket to match these pants soon.
 

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
12
Thanks Skinny for the advice! I was wondering if you had any advice in terms of shoes. I know to get captoes, however I can't stomach the 230$ Allen Edmond's price yet. Can you suggest any alternatives I can order online and have it shipped? Thanks!


Again, thanks for the help SF, Superdays are next week, and then a week after.
 

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Jan 3, 2008
Messages
12,941
Reaction score
2,280
Wish I could help but most of the good sales are over. Hah, I was going to suggest Aldens.

All I can say is that if you get a job in I-banking your going to need two pair (minimum) of good shoes that'll last you. Take the opportunity to get a nice set of shoes and pay it off with your first paycheck, if you're still wearing them in 10 years I wouldn't be surprised.

This



And this



Both in Black Calfskin.

Toe taps, heel cleats and hit the ground running.
 

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Thanks Skinny for the advice! I was wondering if you had any advice in terms of shoes. I know to get captoes, however I can't stomach the 230$ Allen Edmond's price yet. Can you suggest any alternatives I can order online and have it shipped? Thanks! Again, thanks for the help SF, Superdays are next week, and then a week after.
If you're not getting the AEs for a lot less than 200, you are better off stepping up to Alden. BB has a 25% promotion going on right now, I'd pick up a pair of Alden-made captoes from there. You can open a BB credit card and get an additional 15% I believe. Check the clearance section for your size as well in peals and aldens both- the coupon will stack. Stick to black or dark brown bals- people will disagree with me on the latter point, but honestly no one will notice as long as the shoes are dark. If you really want to do it up, #8 longwings will serve you well from jeans to suits for years to come, but you'll have to get them straight from Alden and they'll cost $600. Suit is trickier- I'm not a fan of the 1818, but it will work. Check out polo as well, can't remember if they have a coupon out. Both BB and RL will be good about altering in a hurry, which is a major plus for you. If you can find a USA-made BB golden fleece for 1600 with dual vents, and stack the 25% coupon, you'll be getting a fine, fine suit that can probably be given some shape with tailoring. To me, it's the most impressive value in the price range--the hand-done buttonholes, for example, rival those of much more expensive suits, and the overall quality kicks the ass of even the Caruso-made "Regent" golden fleece suits that run almost $1000 more. If you're a beanpole and it won't fit, though, no sense in wasting your money. If you're near outlets: John Varvartos USA makes a bunch of slim, staple solid suits that are available in barneys, saks, and NM outlets. They are typically 500, present in a full size run, and there are almost always coupons available. It's a drop 7 suit with slim flat front pants and dual vents. They are half canvassed, and the lapel padding stitches are actually visible behind the lapel. Fabric is decent, as is workmanship otherwise. Made in Mexico or something, but IMO a better value and more of what you're looking for than the 1818. While it's not the best value out there and you won't have it for years- ppl may be thinking "WTF" upon reading this rec- it will get you 85% of the way there at minimal cost considering the relative ease of acquisition.
 

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
2
This is not a bal, but honestly, a captoe blucher will work just fine. If you get it in brown, it will integrate into more business casual settings as well:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

For some reason there's no bal in calfskin listed on the website, but BB previously had a sweet black bal wingtip on the Plaza last on sale for $199. I've seen it in the stores recently, so it's worth a shot to go in and see what they have- if you could get that for the $199 - 25%, it'd be an awesome bargain. The dark brown CJ for Peal monk is on sale for $244, and is an awesome shoe that is one of the best in my rotation, but unfortunately, I think it's probably too flashy for this interview.

I don't think you're going to find the exact suit you're after in so little time, so I'd spend the majority of your budget on the shoes, which comparatively represent a better investment.
 

w.mj

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
303
Reaction score
0
For realsies, anyone interviewing you at a bulge couldn't care less how your suit looks. Pick a sartorial horror and I guarantee that you can find it sitting in front of an excel sheet at this very moment within a 5 block radius of 51st & park. Square toes shoes? Check. One-button jackets? Yessir. What must certainly be a quadruple windsor knot? Sure, why not.
 

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
1,850
Reaction score
12
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
This is not a bal, but honestly, a captoe blucher will work just fine. If you get it in brown, it will integrate into more business casual settings as well: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize= For some reason there's no bal in calfskin listed on the website, but BB previously had a sweet black bal wingtip on the Plaza last on sale for $199. I've seen it in the stores recently, so it's worth a shot to go in and see what they have- if you could get that for the $199 - 25%, it'd be an awesome bargain. The dark brown CJ for Peal monk is on sale for $244, and is an awesome shoe that is one of the best in my rotation, but unfortunately, I think it's probably too flashy for this interview. I don't think you're going to find the exact suit you're after in so little time, so I'd spend the majority of your budget on the shoes, which comparatively represent a better investment.
I agree also, unfortunately Im very far from the nearest BB store...I'll get a pair of AE's somewhere down the line anyway, just don't want to pay the 200 something bucks on a student budget.
Originally Posted by w.mj
For realsies, anyone interviewing you at a bulge couldn't care less how your suit looks. Pick a sartorial horror and I guarantee that you can find it sitting in front of an excel sheet at this very moment within a 5 block radius of 51st & park. Square toes shoes? Check. One-button jackets? Yessir. What must certainly be a quadruple windsor knot? Sure, why not.
I agree that once you are in as an analyst no one really cares as you wont be seeing clients, but the MDs will care I think. Im not saying the suit + shoes matters SO much compared to my knowledge/personality, but rather its a confidence thing for me.
 

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
1,715
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
So I have interviews at bulge bracket and top elite ibanks next week and I need to look good. Normally I spend my time on SW&D but I am slowly migrating over here. My interviews are next week and I can make it up to Chicago for the weekend to buy a suit, shirt, tie, and shoes. My old suit is simply too baggy and I want something that is cut well. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

No chain store will be able to tailor a suit for you within a day or 2. Def buy some shoes in person so you can try before you buy, ditto for shirt. Without more lead time, I think you're only bet is to have your current suit slimmed down by a local tailor.
 

w.mj

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2008
Messages
303
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
I agree that once you are in as an analyst no one really cares as you wont be seeing clients, but the MDs will care I think. Im not saying the suit + shoes matters SO much compared to my knowledge/personality, but rather its a confidence thing for me.

Well have confidence in the knowledge that suit + shoes don't matter at all. Heavy hitters on the street are a veritable murderer's row of completely bald men, stress eaters, and fleece aficionados. Picture, if you will, certain distinguished gentlemen: Lloyd B., Raj R., and Steve C. They're not outliers.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,403
Messages
9,446,697
Members
197,945
Latest member
6evane532fB9
Top