1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Emblematic / Club Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Grenadier, Jun 13, 2011.

1. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

I think with "statement pieces" like emblematic ties it looks quite gouache to wear the crest of something you have no affiliation with.

Come now...aren't you painting emblematic ties with too broad a brush here?

[​IMG]

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

[​IMG]

You are probably right. I fear I misspoke/didn't explain my stance well enough.

I meant to say that the only club/emblematic ties that I own are those that denote membership or patronage. Not that I am opposed to more generic and/or non-official ties, I just happen to not own/wear any.

However, perhaps a good club tie to start with is the one that makes you a part of the Put This On Mafia. I'm sure YoungAmerican will welcome you with open arms.
    https://www.kentwang.com/ties/red-stripe-white.html

3. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

(cue outrage from those in the US who cheerfully wear UK regimental ties)

We saved your asses in WWII. I think you can deal if we think some color combinations are cool and wear them without regard to the meanings that you think are so damn important.

Stripes are too basic a visual element to restrict like you do across the pond. If you want something for an organization, stick to the emblematic, where you can have your own unique thing without making it a pain in the ass (yes, that's how it's spelled) to wear a basic striped tie.

Finally,
    USA! USA! USA!

4. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

You'd look an absolute idiot when an old Cantabrigian asked you which college you went to.

College or regimental ties are always a bad idea...

Why do you want to wear a college tie ,ring if you didn't attend that particular place?

5. VelvetGreen

VelvetGreen Senior member

Hmm, I had assumed that the Polo crests were fictionalized. So can I wear a Cambridge tie even though they turned me down for my PhD? It's not as bad as it sounds, they just didn't have any history professors interested in Louis XIV...
    Don't do this. I might wear my old college tie on occasion but would never dream of wearing a Lancers/Artillery/ other regimental tie if I was going to any function in which people take notice of such things. I haven't earned the right to wear those colours, wouldn't want people to assume that I am something I am not, would rather avoid such awkwardness, and am well aware that there are thousands of other pretty ties I would rather wear! [​IMG]

6. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

another favorite
    [​IMG]

Now thats what I call a bull shit tie. [​IMG]

7. BBC

BBC Senior member

Look the first one...

Is the second one by Hermes?

Don't they wish - it was a special run by Chipp II for some of the guys on the trad forum

8. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

So was I wrong in thinking that most of the Polo crests were fictional?

9. cold war painter

cold war painter Senior member

Well played, sir; I was struggling to think of a joke involving heavy pigments in suspension.

We saved your asses in WWII. I think you can deal if we think some color combinations are cool and wear them without regard to the meanings that you think are so damn important.

Finally,
    USA! USA! USA!

In light of your signature, not sure if serious.

I'm actually surprised how many of the American posters have come out against wearing regimental/club ties.

10. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

11. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

So was I wrong in thinking that most of the Polo crests were fictional?

The majority are real.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Well played, sir; I was struggling to think of a joke involving heavy pigments in suspension.

In light of your signature, not sure if serious.

I'm actually surprised how many of the American posters have come out against wearing regimental/club ties.

I am strongly against wearing regimental ties.

13. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I am strongly against wearing regimental ties.

Me too...

It must be reserved to people having served in that particular regiment...

14. stinsonbass

stinsonbass Senior member

Well I have a red tie which has a pattern of golden fleur de lis.. it actually looks quite cool but I wear it like once a year if I have a sudden urge to wear it.. I think that it was from J.Press

All in all I agree that emblems like the one from Polo could be a bit tacky (not always but they could)
    And yeah you should buy one or two first and see if you are still psyched about it [​IMG]

15. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

As much as I like the ones from polo I avoided them on the basis that they usually garner comments. It's rather annoying and I'm glad I simply had to explain those around the shop and didn't buy any. Some of my European clients pointed out the origin of a few of the crests and found them to be old english military and family crests.

16. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored

I'm thinking of making a croquet emblem with crossed croquet mallets. I am a founding member of the Texas Croquet Society. I will grant even non-croquet players permission to wear it.

Would anyone buy such a tie? (six-fold of course)

17. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

I'd buy one as long as it's not in some color like hot pink.

18. Kent Wang

It would probably be on a dark green background, like the grass of a croquet field.

19. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

It would probably be on a dark green background, like the grass of a croquet field.
    I've been instructed not to wear "muddy" colors. Will this grass be from before the game or after?

20. Kent Wang

We're talking croquet, not rugby.