• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embassy reception

Casaubon

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was fortunate enough to receive an invitation for a evening reception at an ambassador's residence in July. The dress code was not specified so I am clueless as to the rules one should apply. It should be stated that 1) it can get quite hot here, and 2) people here are very lenient and/or clueless when it comes to rules on clothing, so there are bound to be many who will be underdressed no matter what. Given that, I won't obsess about my choices, but would still like to hear for more experienced members' opinions. I was thinking of wearing a navy check suit in a super 120s wool, which is completely unlined. White dress shirt with white cotton pocket square, plus silk tie (still undecided on the color though). I don't own any evening wear per se if that's what's expected.

Who would like to weigh in? What can I expect and what is expected of me? Looking forward to reading some comments!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suit. White shirt. Tie. Pretty much a no brainer.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is expected of you?

-Don't get drunk.
-Don't hit on the ambassador's wife/husband.
-Socialize.
-Network.
-You may want to have a small bite to eat before you head there.

Last edited:

Casaubon

Reaction score
Last time I accidentally spilled some salmon canapés on a dignitary of an unknown African country. But at least I had the dress code figured out.

Edit: That I should wear a suit, that much I do know. Just wondering if my idea was too casual in regards to the fabric and pattern. It's a pretty open weave, very breathable. Plus the jacket is just an ordinary single-breasted, two button, notch lapel deal. So there's that as well.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
As a former diplomat I cannot leave this without my two cents. At most receptions I have attended (or helped host) there would be some small amount of boors who showed up in jeans and sports coats. They are inevitable. You should not be them.

In a dictionary a reception is defined as a "formal" or "ceremonious" social event. That means you should forget linen or light colors, and you should wear a tie (at least before the elders blow the "all clear", which should never happen before the speech and anthems), a white shirt, and leather dress shoes. Whether your suit will be 120s is irrelevant, but it should be plain and dark unless poolside and daytime (and even then, I would not wear light colors unless you are a great donor or some community celebrity). Your tie should be conservative. You should look presentable and respectful. Bring your wife or a good friend. (I myself am a bit of a bumpkin at these events unless accompanied by my wife - she lends me that certain something, if you know what I mean.)

What is expected of you. Good behavior, a handshake upon entry, some smooth line (You will have 5-10 seconds to greet the Ambassador and his/her partner, so a brief "I'm X from Y, and this is my wife Z. Thank you for inviting us. We're happy to be here" will do). Then mingling. Good behavior is indicated no matter what others do. You are a cultured human being and you know that you are representing yourself, your company, your parents, while at the same time paying respect to the host country, the embassy staff (hosts), and the great cultural achievement world diplomacy is (no less).

Tips:
1) Learn something about the host country and its customs, be mindful of cultural differences. (Don't praise the pork chops or temperature of the beer when engaged in a conversation with a Muslim guest etc.)
2) Be empathetic to the stakeholders - the hosts. They want the reception to be successful as it reflects on them and their country. Guests dancing on tables or getting stoned throws a cloud of doubt as to the embassy staff's choice of invitees. So no matter what you see or how lenient or loose you think others are, bear this in mind, be the cream of the crop and do not allow yourself to insult your host by cheapening their reception.

But I don't need to tell you this. You are serious and responsible enough to research this topic. The suit you described should be fine.

Last edited:

zanci

Reaction score
Could anyone give advice about wearing a tuxedo at the event? Would a tux be preffered or just go for the classic suit?

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Could anyone give advice about wearing a tuxedo at the event? Would a tux be preffered or just go for the classic suit?

The rule of thumb is to go for a regular suit unless the invite expressly states "black tie". If it doesn't, chances are you'd be the only one wearing a tux.
Also, if it says "black tie", don't show up with a black tie :)

Casaubon

Reaction score
Thank you for the wonderfully insightful contribution, Jan! As I already mentioned above, I attended one similar event before, but the occasion was different and the dress code was clearly defined.

I suppose that my main concern was whether the suit I was thinking of was too casual, but your input helped clear any doubts. In that sense, the original question about expectations refered to what would be considered proper wear, i.e. what will the ambassador wear. Sorry if I was unclear and it came out if I was wondering about the general tone of the event. Nevertheless, it's always good to remind oneself about the general dos and don'ts.

P.S. I agree and definitely emphatize when it comes to the presence of the wife -- unfortunately even she was unable to prevent the aforementioned food spilling incident, me being the rube that I sometimes am.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads