• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Embarrassing

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
OK - I just looked down at my feet and realized that I am wearing blue socks - no problem - except that I am wearing black pants and black shoes and I thought I had put on black socks this morning. Yes - the lighting by the dresser is a bit dim and clearly I wasn't very awake this morning when I got dressed
dontgetit.gif
I'll probably just ride it out today - but my first thought was to run out at lunch and get a new pair of black socks. Bradford

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Quick, grab the Sharpie.
biggrin.gif

acole

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward making up a couple of canvas bags or other storage divisions to separate navy from black throughout the wardrobe, and maybe even marking the linings of jackets and trousers. I've wasted far too much time running around trying to tell the difference via incandescent, fluorescent, daylight, wife, etc...

johnw86

Reaction score
I picked up some RL socks the other day that handle this problem. The navy pair has a blue polo player; the black pair has a gray polo player; the gray pair has a black polo player. Maybe the other companies could adopt a similar scheme for marking socks.
smile.gif

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Quick, grab the Sharpie.
biggrin.gif
Wait - I vaguely remember some TV show or movie where the guy took a Sharpie and just colored his bare leg because he didn't have a pair of socks... Don't remember what I was watching though. Bradford

arvi

Reaction score
i know what you mean..sometimes even in the best of light blue and black are easily confused..same thing happen to my wife with tights..we usually hold item next to something definitively black like the telephone

acole

Reaction score
the gray pair has a black polo player.
Yeah, but is it really a BLACK polo player, or navy??
cheesy.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I solve that by only having black socks. a great solution is those socks where the black has red heal and toe and the blue has light blue heal and toe. very easy to tell apart. I think Brooks Bros and Ben Silver sell them amoung others.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
My ex once went out of the house with one black shoe and one navy shoe. Somehow or other as the resident "style expert" I wound up with the blame.
confused.gif
I also took a different colored suit coat with similarly colored suit pants. Needless to say, I didn't wear the coat doing sales calls that day.
smile.gif
You could also try patterned socks...Or separating black and blue in different drawers.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
steve, I actually did the same thing once - I had two identicaly cut suits, one midnight blue with a faint chalk stripe and one charcoal gray with a faint chalk stripe. I was in a meeting and looked down at my leg and realized that I had mismatched the pieces.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up some RL socks the other day that handle this problem. The navy pair has a blue polo player; the black pair has a gray polo player; the gray pair has a black polo player. Maybe the other companies could adopt a similar scheme for marking socks.
smile.gif
Odd, my navy Polo socks have a red Polo player... Jon.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(j @ 14 Dec. 2004, 09:02) Quick, grab the Sharpie.
biggrin.gif

Wait - I vaguely remember some TV show or movie where the guy took a Sharpie and just colored his bare leg because he didn't have a pair of socks... Don't remember what I was watching though. Bradford
capital idea.

Etruscan

Reaction score
Welcome to my world. As my bedroom faces west, I dress each morning in either dim or artificial light. Many a day I carry a handful of nebulously dark socks to the kitchen window to determine which are black, which are navy. Segregating them in different drawers only works to a point, as each pair must be re-identified and reunited correctly after each laundry, but usually there's more time for that on washday.

Except when I find a pattern with helpful toe stripes (gray with black, pale blue with navy), I try to avoid buying the same pattern in both black and navy, and can generally remember that the herringbones are blue while the pindots are black, for example. Even so, there will probably always be mornings when I get to the office and am embarrassed by my hosiery. When this occurs, I console myself that if that is the worst thing to happen that day, I'm a lucky man indeed.

Henry Boogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a case of the limp-collar syndrome the other day, right before an important meeting with the only person who would actually notice that Henry P. forgot something that morning. Let us all learn from my mistake: paperclips make excellent collar stays in a pinch.

Henry P. Boogers

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If this is really a serious problem, it should take very little effort to solve it by stitching white thread on either your navy or black socks at the top to indicate which ones you're looking at. If you have access to a sewing machine, put it on zigzag with white thread and stitch horizontally across the sock, somewhere near the top edge. Problem solved. Or if you were really lazy, you could use a spot of bleach, but that's pretty sad.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads