• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Elevator Exit Etiquette

TheD0n

Reaction score
After a silent elevator ride this morning, a gentleman at the front of the elevator turned around before exiting and said "Have a good day" to me and the woman remaining. Then, imitating his politeness, the woman did the said the same thing to me as she left. We are in a 27-story building and I don't recognize these people.

This is the second well-dressed Asian man to exit the elevator with a "Have a good day" in the last week, a friendly gesture that I am considering adopting. Do you or does anyone in your building address your elevator travel mates upon exit?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Only if they grabbed my junk!

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you work in the same building as Foo

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't think I have personal space issues and I think that talking to people on the elevator beyond natural conversations that occur is not really necessary, because lifts move far too quickly to get anything good in and so it is just as the same as any fast-moving traffic turnstile where moving and not speaking is the norm. Perhaps when waiting for the lift, but when on, stay quiet and don't stare too much, don't fart, hit the 'close doors' button when everybody for a certain floor is certain to be off, and keep moving. I live in a 14 story building (regular here) that is in front of a women's university, so there are quite a few 18-22 year old girls in my building, almost half of the occupancy perhaps. It's pretty nice odds; it boils down realisitically to like maybe 5 or 6 girls on my elevator (there are separate odd/even floor elevators) that I see from time to time and wouldn't mind talking to, but the shackles....
ffffuuuu.gif
but yeah, if it were an office building, you get that false sense of security since you get to go home everyday, but an elevator isn't the best place to impress the world with your gentleness or intriguing conversation, IMO. Waiting room, waiting for elevator, a lot of better places exist.

Hany

Reaction score
It is IMO good manners to greet people getting in and out of the elevator.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
also, disclaimer: I jsut watched 'Devil' last night

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n
After a silent elevator ride this morning, a gentleman at the front of the elevator turned around before exiting and said "Have a good day" to me and the woman remaining. Then, imitating his politeness, the woman did the said the same thing to me as she left. We are in a 27-story building and I don't recognize these people.

This is the second well-dressed Asian man to exit the elevator with a "Have a good day" in the last week, a friendly gesture that I am considering adopting. Do you or does anyone in your building address your elevator travel mates upon exit?

In Puerto Rico, that is considered proper etiquette, good manners, a gesture of chivalry. Some people have lost it and I consider it rude not to at least acknowledge the presence of the other person, especially if there is only one other person in the elevator and/or if you have previously seen that person. There is this guy that I see frequently in my office's building that in 3 years I've been working here has never even acknowledged my presence in the elevator. Of course, I said "have a good day" the first time. Since he never responded, I will never say it again.

rjakapeanut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't really speak during the ride or after, whatever. not my cup of tea.

i just ask "which floor?" when someone enters if i'm standing there so they don't have to do that uncomfortable reach-across-me-to-hit-their-button thing. lol. then when the door opens and we're both getting out i'll say "after you"

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
FWIW, I don't think I have personal space issues and I think that talking to people on the elevator beyond natural conversations that occur is not really necessary, because lifts move far too quickly to get anything good in and so it is just as the same as any fast-moving traffic turnstile where moving and not speaking is the norm. Perhaps when waiting for the lift, but when on, stay quiet and don't stare too much, don't fart, hit the 'close doors' button when everybody for a certain floor is certain to be off, and keep moving.

I live in a 14 story building (regular here) that is in front of a women's university, so there are quite a few 18-22 year old girls in my building, almost half of the occupancy perhaps. It's pretty nice odds; it boils down realisitically to like maybe 5 or 6 girls on my elevator (there are separate odd/even floor elevators) that I see from time to time and wouldn't mind talking to, but the shackles....
ffffuuuu.gif
but yeah, if it were an office building, you get that false sense of security since you get to go home everyday, but an elevator isn't the best place to impress the world with your gentleness or intriguing conversation, IMO. Waiting room, waiting for elevator, a lot of better places exist.

It is not necessary to initiate a conversation in the elevator. We're talking about saying "Have a good day", when entering or exiting an elevator. It is simply good manners. Nevertheless, it may be a cultural and/or personal space thing. As I said previously, here in PR, it is considered good manners.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by D Yizz
It is not necessary to initiate a conversation in the elevator. We're talking about saying "Have a good day", when entering or exiting an elevator. It is simply good manners. Nevertheless, it may be a cultural and/or personal space thing. As I said previously, here in PR, it is considered good manners.

are you seriously trying to talk good manners to a guy who's screen name is "impolyt_one?"

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
are you seriously trying to talk good manners to a guy who's screen name is "impolyt_one?"

lol!!! Nah, I'm just saying how we consider the matter over here. What he does is his problem.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
fresh swagger > manners

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheD0n

Originally Posted by ter1413
Only if they grabbed my junk!

lol. typical sf thread progres.

seriously, i wish there was more of that kind of courtesy around where i live and work. i think doing that in an elevator is a bit too unnecessary but i do wish there was more tradition around here.
everyone here are just your typical late 20s-early 40s middle rung yuppy types who are usually content in just displaying their smugness and passive aggressiveness when convenienced for them.
i likewise follow them and in turn makes me that small. i wish i hung out with a better crowd as im more reactive than proactive in these social things

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Everyone always enters and then turn to face the door. I prefer to step in and face everyone else, taking up the central position, and nod and smile at people. It freaks some people out and I enjoy it.

Desi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I enter I may say hello but when I leave I most definite will say "Have a good one." or "Take care". Never am I bothered if someone does or does not reply. I say a similar thing to customers when at work while they are leaving and rarely do I get a reply so it is just something that I adopted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics