• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

elevator etiquette

hamlet

Reaction score
Today I was walking to the elevator to go down to the parking garage when there was a man already waiting who'd alreadypressed the button to go up. The elevator was on the 2nd flr on its way down and I pushed the down button. We both got on and the elevator continued going down and I got off leaving the man to ride the elevator back up. He was clearly a little peeved that he had to go my way even though he was in line first.

Should I have let him go up first before pushing the button to go down? He obviously thought so.

What is the correct elevator etiquette?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stairs are a good idea, unless you are on the 50th floor, then I could see how that might be a problem (although its great exercise). I hate people in the office building that I work at that work on the 2nd floor, yet take the elevator.

Its faster to take the stairs, I'm on the 5th floor and I take the stairs most of the time.

Jon.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
I hate people in the office building that I work at that work on the 2nd floor, yet take the elevator.

Yeah, that is a real pet peeve of mine.

Since he was going down to the garage, I can't imagine it was any more than a couple floors.

blackgrass

Reaction score
I have a couple of ladies at my office that will not allow you to get off the elevator before they get on. It pisses me off to no end because they have no manners about it what-so-ever! As of late I have just stepped off and practically shoulder checked them...but even that hasn't seem to get the message across.

I'm very tempted to post a list of elevator etiquette inside the elevator. Is there such a list?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I usually save my farts until I'm about to exit.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hamlet
Today I was walking to the elevator to go down to the parking garage when there was a man already waiting who'd alreadypressed the button to go up. The elevator was on the 2nd flr on its way down and I pushed the down button. We both got on and the elevator continued going down and I got off leaving the man to ride the elevator back up. He was clearly a little peeved that he had to go my way even though he was in line first.

Should I have let him go up first before pushing the button to go down? He obviously thought so.

What is the correct elevator etiquette?

Was it a single elevator situation, or a bank?
confused.gif
In any case, when the elevator arrives the button indicating which direction the car is going will go 'off'. You're not obligated to wait for him to go up before pushing down. Assuming it was a single car situation, if the car were on it's way down with people already headed to 1st floor or garage you would have missed it. He's free to take a ride or wait for the car to return....

hamlet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Use the stairs like a man.

I have bad knees. Besides, your advice applies equally well to him. Who knows how far he was going? Maybe just one floor.

hamlet

Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Was it a single elevator situation, or a bank?
confused.gif
In any case, when the elevator arrives the button indicating which direction the car is going will go 'off'. You're not obligated to wait for him to go up before pushing down. Assuming it was a single car situation, if the car were on it's way down with people already headed to 1st floor or garage you would have missed it. He's free to take a ride or wait for the car to return....

Yes, single elevator and it was empty. I knew if I pushed the button I would go down before he went up. I could've waited to see if anyone was on the elevator heading down to the garage also. But if I did and there wasn't then he would've jumped the queue and gone up first. So I had to decide to step in front of him. And I did. Which pissed him off.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I usually save my farts until I'm about to exit.
I let the most foul gas loose in an elevator at the Omni Hotel. I was by myself. When I got out at the lobby, I peeked back to see the man stepping in physically recoil and gag. He gave me a nasty look and I smiled just as the doors closed on this poor guy.
Originally Posted by hamlet
Yes, single elevator and it was empty. I knew if I pushed the button I would go down before he went up. I could've waited to see if anyone was on the elevator heading down to the garage also. But if I did and there wasn't then he would've jumped the queue and gone up first. So I had to decide to step in front of him. And I did. Which pissed him off.
Seems like much ado about nothing.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't like using the elevator as it's usually crowded with unappealing people.

Instead I take the stairs. When I go to the library, I take the stairs up to the 8th floor, and then down again.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I let the most foul gas loose in an elevator at the Omni Hotel. I was by myself. When I got out at the lobby, I peeked back to see the man stepping in physically recoil and gag. He gave me a nasty look and I smiled just as the doors closed on this poor guy.

Seems like much ado about nothing.

When was Vanity banned?
marchal.gif

Hamlet - It sounds like your elevator was headed down anyway (coming from a higher floor). Even if you had allowed him to go in first and push his button, and then followed and pushed the garage I believe the car would have continued on its downward trip. It is much ado about nothing. If the guy was in such a hurry he could have taken the stairs....

jett

Reaction score
I've never seen an elevator that reverses direction, except on it's main floor (usually the first). So for example, you get in the elevator and hit the button to go to a floor that is up, next guy gets in and hits it for a floor that is down. On the main floor it will do whatever was hit first, or whatever is most efficient (depending on the elevator software). On any other floor the elevator is en route to its main floor, or was called from its main floor to go up or down. It doesn't matter if someone gets in and hits the up arrow if its already on part of a journey down, they have to go down until their order to go up gets executed.
In other words, there is no reason for the guy to get mad, it's the elevators fault. If he wanted to go up immediately he should of gotten on an upward bound elevator or taken the stairs.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, some elevators are set to remain on the last floor they stopped at - they don't have a main floor exactly, whatever floor they last stopped at becomes it. I don't recall ever seeing one configured this way, but I know it's possible.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're entitled to push the down button and take your chances.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
Don't whistle on the elevator.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads