1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Elephant leather shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MarcellHUN, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Now I want a pair of these in elephant, [​IMG] Is this wrong? [​IMG]

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

3. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

Sure, I think you should take a 12 gauge shotgun and hunt your own. We will make shoes from the hide of the survivor and distribute them among the posters of this thread. It's only fair.

4. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Sure, I think you should take a 12 gauge shotgun and hunt your own. We will make shoes from the hide of the survivor and distribute them among the posters of this thread. It's only fair.

You better take something a bit bigger than a 12 gauge shotgun otherwise the elephants will be making shoes out of your hide and distributing them among his friends.

5. asdf

asdf Senior member

Elephant? 12 gauge? Good luck!

EDIT: beaten to it.

6. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Incredibly cruel. What manner of monster are you, sir? Unless you mean the hide of the surviving hunter. In that case, it's all OK. As Mark points out, you are not going to get very far trying to hunt elephants with a 12 gauge shotgun. A 12 gauge shotgun probably wouldn't even disburse a cloud of self-respecting African flies.

7. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

Could there be any higher honor to a member of this forum then to tan their hide for pair of bespoke shoes? I want the cordovan leather myself. I think it is only right that the donor should get to choose the color and style.

8. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Could there be any higher honor to a member of this forum then to tan their hide for pair of bespoke shoes? I want the cordovan leather myself. I think it is only right that the donor should get to choose the color and style.
    You must have really small feet.

9. MarcellHUN

MarcellHUN Senior member

OK: This starts to be sick.

10. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

If things in Africa are as bad as you depict it, then we should still be getting Pateks with ivory dials, baby silverback gorillas as pets, Gucci jacket lion pelts with the head still intact and bronto skin shoes which will make Cleverley and their deer skin shoes weep.
    Naturally, name brands don't partake of black market, illegally killed animals. If they would, they'd be finished pretty quickly. But don't think there isn't a HUGE black market operation going on in Africa. Your post just confirms to me you've never been there and don't have any idea what you're talking about. And all those so called experts here who claim to know all about this, I doubt very much they've been there either and seen anything firsthand for themselves. And btw, I'm not dissing DWFII or anything he says here. CITES has helped a great deal, and I'm sure every leather he uses is legally and properly obtained. What I'm saying is, not everything is hunky dory in Africa just because one authority says so. This isn't a black and white issue. Lots of shades of grey and lots of shady things go on in Africa, CITES included sometimes, believe me.

11. pvrhye

pvrhye Senior member

Only if it were humanely killed and no parts went to waste.

giggity

12. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Senior member

I like elephant skin for this purpose only. I think it would be great for something that gets abused with wear like a wallet or case. Perhaps a boot but I don't think it is elegant enough for a wholecut.
    I was selling a travel/breast wallet a year or so back in B&S. Had no takers and gave it to a friend. Was quite lovely. You can get elephant made goods quite easily in Japan (along with seal, walrus, lizard, croco, stingray, shark... just about anything that walks, swims, or flies.)

13. kellgy

kellgy Senior member

I think kitten would be bad because you would have to sew a few together.

14. entrero

entrero Senior member

[​IMG]

What's with the lines, was this hide from a circus elephant?

15. Concordia

Concordia Senior member

I think its a sign, you should make more shoes from stingray, eel, shark, iguana, chicken (yes chicken), fish (yes fish) ... ...

At one time, Tony Gaziano could show you swatches of salmon hide.

16. Concordia

Concordia Senior member

I think kitten would be bad because you would have to sew a few together.

No whole-cuts, except for Chinese dowagers.

17. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member

At one time, Tony Gaziano could show you swatches of salmon hide.

he still can and for hippo and a few others too

18. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

19. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

You like it, the pachyderm?

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][/

20. Jangofett

Jangofett Senior member

Naturally, name brands don't partake of black market, illegally killed animals. If they would, they'd be finished pretty quickly. But don't think there isn't a HUGE black market operation going on in Africa. Your post just confirms to me you've never been there and don't have any idea what you're talking about. And all those so called experts here who claim to know all about this, I doubt very much they've been there either and seen anything firsthand for themselves.

And btw, I'm not dissing DWFII or anything he says here. CITES has helped a great deal, and I'm sure every leather he uses is legally and properly obtained. What I'm saying is, not everything is hunky dory in Africa just because one authority says so. This isn't a black and white issue. Lots of shades of grey and lots of shady things go on in Africa, CITES included sometimes, believe me.

Oh, there's a big black market for animal smuggling of course. We always hear news of smugglers smuggling lizards down their pants and macaws in their jackets through airports.

Not to mention all the massive numbers of snakes and fishes and even mammals smuggled through borders.

But your post gave the impression this is the norm and not the exception, which if true, will mean Africa will have no wildlife left because all the mercenaries and freedom fighters would have killed all the male pachyderms for their ivory and all the chimps would be exported out, so they can fund their latest arms purchases and civil war. Hey, if money can be plucked from the trees and are effectively free, would you have any hesitation in grabbing it?