Elephant leather shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MarcellHUN, Mar 16, 2011.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Either way, those shoes look ugly (the leather, not the way they were made).

2. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    Yes, but only when paired with a fur coat.

3. Tomboys

Tomboys Senior member

Paging Kitonbrioni...

4. banis

banis Senior member

Have we started wearing rhinos yet?
    I've seen a rhino jacket made by Hettabretz in one store in Moscow. It cost some ridiculous amount of money. 50 or 70 thousand USD.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Have we started wearing rhinos yet?

I've seen a rhino jacket made by Hettabretz in one store in Moscow.

A few years back, I saw in a vintage luggage shop a huge Edwardian Gladstone bag, weighing a ton, which was marked as "Rhino leather".

Whether or not it was the real thing, I wouldn't know, but I presume so.

6. laufer

laufer Senior member

A some hypocrasy in this thread. So people would not wear elephant skin but have no problem wearing shoes made of a month old calf. Leather is leather my friends.

7. EvilFish

EvilFish Well-Known Member

8. PTWilliams

PTWilliams Senior member

A some hypocrasy in this thread. So people would not wear elephant skin but have no problem wearing shoes made of a month old calf. Leather is leather my friends.

My concern is with the health of the wild animal populations, not sympathy for cute furry or scalely things.
    My guess is that there were more well-fed minks in the world when furs were acceptable than now. If elephants were bred for meat and leather, than thats OK with me. I believe you can get lion tocos in Arizona, and if lions are overpopulating, or are farm bred, then fine.

9. laufer

laufer Senior member

My concern is with the health of the wild animal populations, not sympathy for cute furry or scalely things.
    My guess is that there were more well-fed minks in the world when furs were acceptable than now. If elephants were bred for meat and leather, than thats OK with me. I believe you can get lion tocos in Arizona, and if lions are overpopulating, or are farm bred, then fine.

And I agree with you, I did not single out you specifically. I just hate when people are selectively compassionate about animals.

I believe a bootmaker Lucchese gets its elephants skins through sustainable methods. I read this in the news many years ago but I cannot find a link for it now.

10. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

My concern is with the health of the wild animal populations, not sympathy for cute furry or scalely things. My guess is that there were more well-fed minks in the world when furs were acceptable than now. If elephants were bred for meat and leather, than thats OK with me. I believe you can get lion tocos in Arizona, and if lions are overpopulating, or are farm bred, then fine.
    Almost all legitimate sources of elephant skin come from state-sponsored parks and are harvested by rangers from animals culled due to disease or population pressures. CITES and other international organizations have been pretty good at enforcing these standards. I have no doubt that the meat is distributed to the indigenous human population. No offense intended, but it is all too easy succumb to hysteria in this regard. Legitimate concerns about poaching and the ivory trade don't really enter into it. Some folks think elephant leather is ugly...regardless of the fact that it is one of the toughest, most scuff resistant leathers known to man while remaining remarkably supple....but I would argue that it is no more ugly than a Norvegese (sp?)...at least that's my personal opinion. I like it--for the same reasons and in the same context as I like Norvegeses[​IMG]

11. Icehawk

Icehawk Senior member

I kinda like the skin. I wonder what this would look like with a tan palette vs black.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Marcel you always do beautiful work, but I just can't see any justification for the use or purchasing of anything made from such a majestic creature. It just feels wrong for me to see this, sorry. To each his own I guess.

13. Patek

Patek Senior member

There is no such thing as "legal" elephant. It is banned under international law--for good reason.

If the villian in you needs relase, go buy some lab puppies from the local puppy mill, let your kids play with them for a few days, and just when they start to get attached clobber them to death and use the hides as place mats.

That'll teach them to eat their vegetables....

14. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

There is no such thing as "legal" elephant. It is banned under international law--for good reason.If the villian in you needs relase, go buy some lab puppies from the local puppy mill, let your kids play with them for a few days, and just when they start to get attached clobber them to death and use the hides as place mats.

That'll teach them to eat their vegetables....

No it's not. That's just a common myth. Elephant hunting is allowed in African countries where their populations are stable, adequately protected and well managed.

15. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

No it's not. That's just a common myth. Elephant hunting is allowed in African countries where their populations are stable, adequately protected and well managed.

Smells like a 'feel good' slogan to mask the problem of unethical salughter. [​IMG]