• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electronic Music Appreciation Thread

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Thread-Gay-Disturbing-copy.jpg

Oi! Conne! No self portraits allowed in this thread! That pic of yours belongs in "What aren't you wearing now"

tongue.gif

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Black Dog were no doubt hugely influential, but sheerly in terms of the music itself, I actually prefer Plaid. Even though they're obviously popular and are on the Warp label, I still feel that Plaid are underrated.
Wow really? I like Plaid a lot as well, but thought Black Dog had it going on! I guess it's b/c Plaid lacks the mid-eastern vibe that BD had on Spanners. I love it.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a huge genre, and one I find a bit hard to define sometimes. Here's a list of some of my favourites that I think fit in here:

New Order/Joy Division
Postal Service
Depeche Mode
VaST
Aphex Twin
Presence
Goldfrapp
Kosheen
KLF
Bentley Rhythm Ace
LCD Soundsystem
Chemical Brothers
Odd Modern
Talvin Singh
Nitin Sawnhey
Thievery Corporation
UNKLE/James Lavelle
Ian Pooley
Kruder & Dorfmeister
DJ Shadow

Some locals:
Gotye (Australian)
Endorphin (Australian - does some nice Satie variations)
Strawpeople (NZ)

Some old guilty pleasures:
Alan Parsons Project
Enigma
Human League

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I've been to a few Paul Johnson parties in my time, and although I don't like house, especially the chicago/discoy variants, I can respect the "founding fathers" of the genre. Around here, the original guys like Juan Atkins, Jeff Mills, Derrick May, Kevin Saunderson, and Carl Craig still do play out a lot, and although some of their music is not my style, it is kind of neat to hear them drop a track they used (or made) in the 80's. There's something to be said about being able to use such old material but keep it sounding fresh. They do a good job of that.

Juan Atkins is playing in NYC tomorrow night... I'm thinking of dropping by for old times' sake
atkins1.jpg

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Juan Atkins is playing in NYC tomorrow night... I'm thinking of dropping by for old times' sake
atkins1.jpg

I've been to some good parties at the Sullivan Room. Looks like this shouldn't disappoint.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This year has been amazing for the Kompakt label. The Field and Gui Boratto's new albums are some of the best I've heard this year in any genre. Oh, and I'm now the proud owner of a Sherman Filterbank 2, so we'll see what wonderful EM comes out of this beast.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads