• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electrical Shavers buyer guide

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For the guys who have a very thick beard/mustache that is a stubble, what type/brand of electric shaver would you recommend?

I am considering hitting the BedBath&Beyond among other places to shop for one to replace my dad's very old shaver.

Perhaps one with a 3-head as that is what he has been using to date.

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon and just purchase him any shaver that is priced at the $300 mark. I need something reasonable and will suit his facial hair. Again, thick stubble from his mustache to chin, very rough.

The high price of some shavers do not necessarily translate to best shaver right? Perhaps something that suits one skin type/facial hair would be better.

Appreciate the help, any suggestions or maybe something you personally use?

Alex C

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gettoasty
For the guys who have a very thick beard/mustache that is a stubble, what type/brand of electric shaver would you recommend?

I am considering hitting the BedBath&Beyond among other places to shop for one to replace my dad's very old shaver.

Perhaps one with a 3-head as that is what he has been using to date.

I don't want to jump on the bandwagon and just purchase him any shaver that is priced at the $300 mark. I need something reasonable and will suit his facial hair. Again, thick stubble from his mustache to chin, very rough.

The high price of some shavers do not necessarily translate to best shaver right? Perhaps something that suits one skin type/facial hair would be better.

Appreciate the help, any suggestions or maybe something you personally use?

I had a lot of trouble finding an electric shaver that would work for me on a daily basis. I stuck with one for about a year and then gave up.

If he liked the type he had, I'd stick with the same type. The Norelco multi-head and the Panasonic foil based ones shave very differently.

If I recall correctly, the price differences between the various Norelco models are based on small features. If you look around you should be able to find a feature comparison chart. I believe most of them use the same basic shaving head, but there are other incidental differences. At least, that's how it was a few years ago when I gave up on electrics.

countrygent

Reaction score
Not sure if this will help your situation or not, but I have experience with Philips/Norelco 3-head models and Braun foil shavers. The 3-head Philips/Norelco was much better than the Braun foil for heavier stubble (i.e. for me, 3-4 days growth, as I have fine stubble), while the Braun works better for my skin for daily use.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countrygent
Not sure if this will help your situation or not, but I have experience with Philips/Norelco 3-head models and Braun foil shavers. The 3-head Philips/Norelco was much better than the Braun foil for heavier stubble (i.e. for me, 3-4 days growth, as I have fine stubble), while the Braun works better for my skin for daily use.

I was home for thanksgiving and didn't bring my razor...after a few days I felt the need to shave.

Used my dad's 3-head rotary norelco and it really did just power through the stubble. I never liked it for daily use (I have a panasonic with the linear foils) but it did a way better job starting with stubble.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments.

I am considering sticking with a 3-head as that is what he used. Just did small research and saw some electric shavers going well over $100 to even $300 mark. I really think it is because of all the added futures that jack up the price, all of which my dad can do without. When I mention his old shaver--it is OLD! all it does is turn on and rotate the 3-heads.

Bartolo

Reaction score
I absolutely swear by the top of the line Braun shavers. Not the cheap-o foil models, but the Series 7 line. I have a pretty tough beard, and have been using these daily for many years. In fact, it's been quite a few years since I used a blade at all. I get absolutely as close as with a blade (but this does take a few minutes shaving . . . can't make one pass with the shaver to do this), with zero ingrown hairs. I'll use these forever!

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gettoasty
Thanks for the comments.

I am considering sticking with a 3-head as that is what he used. Just did small research and saw some electric shavers going well over $100 to even $300 mark. I really think it is because of all the added futures that jack up the price, all of which my dad can do without. When I mention his old shaver--it is OLD! all it does is turn on and rotate the 3-heads.

There definitely is a difference between the Braun Series 7 and the sub-$100 foil shavers of various brands. It's not just "features."

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Braun 8000 series. Forget triple headers--can't get in and around your nose. But you must be diligent in replacing the cutter and foil head every six months or so. AND you DON'T need the one with the goofy cleaning stand that pumps an alcohol based fluid through the head--it takes up room, is messy and the cartridges are expensive. A simple cleaning with a toothbrush after each use and a spray with an electric razor cleaning and lube spray (the spray only very occasionally) is all that is needed.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
Braun 8000 series. Forget triple headers--can't get in and around your nose. But you must be diligent in replacing the cutter and foil head every six months or so. AND you DON'T need the one with the goofy cleaning stand that pumps an alcohol based fluid through the head--it takes up room, is messy and the cartridges are expensive. A simple cleaning with a toothbrush after each use and a spray with an electric razor cleaning and lube spray (the spray only very occasionally) is all that is needed.

Agreed about the general uselessness of their cleaning system. A good brushing, occasional spray with shaver lube, and replace the cutter and foil head every 6 mos to one year and you'll be very happy.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

Really want to stick with a 3head model though

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
After recommending the Braun 8000 I forgot to mention an essential element: use a pre-electric shave lotion like Williams 'Lectric shave. It's alcohol-based and dries out the hairs. For electric shaving you want dry hairs, not wet or moisturized ones, so shave before showering.

sh1zy

Reaction score
Panasonic's ES-LA93-K is fantastic. It's a foil shaver that's easy to clean, as it doesn't require the cartridges but can be rinsed with soapy water; has a more powerful motor than its competitors, which really makes a difference; has great battery life; and the large head is able to mow down large chunks of beard/stubble at once.

I used the Braun activator and the Series 7 before I switched. First, there was no meaningful improvement in upgrading from activator to Series 7. Second, the Series 7 was okay for day-to-day shaving, but if you missed a couple days, it would be hit-or-miss on trimming a 2/3-day old beard. Also, the replacement parts and the cleaning cartridges were far more expensive.

Valproate

Reaction score
At $180, that Panasonic better be good! I have a lower-end Panasonic, and it is only okay; it was better than my low-end Braun though.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bartolo
I absolutely swear by the top of the line Braun shavers. Not the cheap-o foil models, but the Series 7 line. I have a pretty tough beard, and have been using these daily for many years. In fact, it's been quite a few years since I used a blade at all. I get absolutely as close as with a blade (but this does take a few minutes shaving . . . can't make one pass with the shaver to do this), with zero ingrown hairs. I'll use these forever!
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
+1 Also, most shavers have a trial period where you can try them and make sure you like them. You can always return it if he doesn't like it.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I ended up getting a 3-head shaver and dad likes it. HUGE improvement from his Sears one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads