• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electric Shaving

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I did a search to find a forum on shaving and didn't, umm, quite find what I was looking for... Who knew? (definitely some interesting threads)
blush.gif
I am interested in getting more info on the new Braun electric shavers. I am sure there is a forum out there (I've seen it) on shaving but I can't find it. Any suggestions on the Brauns or the Shaving forum? I don't think the Braun 360 (the top of the line) is really necessary but is activator or even the Syncropro just as good?

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I know better than to even try clicking on a mysterious "shaving" link from my office PC.
blush.gif

Somewhat related, what is the deal with these new battery-enhanced disposable razors -- the Fusion, etc.? Anyone here use those? I'm afraid of those suckers -- I keep imagining blood-splattered bathroom walls. How do they work exactly?

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found the site I was looking for. Lots of info and forum for electric shavers if anyone cares...

Link

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrSmith2U
My good fellow, come to your senses.

http://www.classicshaving.com/catalo...07.htm#image_1

I know this is great but I can't get behind it.
I can't get over seeing somebody getting chopped up and stuck in a meat pie for sale.

Electric shavers are really good if you have a tough beard, thin skin and have to shave everyday (I'm an artiste in his studio so I don't
bigstar[1].gif
)

The problem with an electric is, no matter how good they are, they don't give the look of a good close shave that you get from a blade.

I use a disposable with a gel most of the time.
I found a razor maker that makes the blade just the right sharpness.
Some of the blade makers products are so sharp, I might as well be using a straight razor.

The gel adds just enough distance between the blade and the skin.

If I have to shave frequently, I'll use an electric, reserving the close shave with the blade for something important.

arutha

Reaction score
I tried one the Braun 7 series (7526? I forget the number). It was Synchrosomething. It had the built in caddy with the automatic wash and dry gimmick.

It shaved OK, but still wasn't all that great. Braun cartridges have a thin film which is prone to breakage, and the cartridges are rather pricey. And you'll have to buy a new cartridge for the washer thing, too, which aren't cheap, either.

The wash-and-dry part wasn't that great either, since the unit started to rust out down by the head after several months of daily use.

Mine didn't have all the LCD panel goofy stuff. Even as a tech guy, those extra features, to me, are the epitome of superfluous.

Fact of the matter is, a 5, 4, or even 3 blade razor works much better and is a better investment.

BTW, did you know Braun is owned by one of the other big shaving companies (Gillette, I think).

(I also use a Braun electric toothbrush with the newest attachment that has a built-in flosser thing. I highly recommend the Braun-Oral B electric toothbrushes.)

Originally Posted by Tck13
So, I did a search to find a forum on shaving and didn't, umm, quite find what I was looking for... Who knew? (definitely some interesting threads)
blush.gif

I am interested in getting more info on the new Braun electric shavers. I am sure there is a forum out there (I've seen it) on shaving but I can't find it.

Any suggestions on the Brauns or the Shaving forum? I don't think the Braun 360 (the top of the line) is really necessary but is activator or even the Syncropro just as good?

alflauren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Electric shavers are really good if you have a tough beard, thin skin and have to shave everyday

Bingo!
teacha.gif

I shave nearly every day, so it's an electric for me almost always. If I have a big event or something, I skip shaving for a day, and then my face doesn't seem to mind a blade.

Zeriman

Reaction score
I alternate between a manual razor (Fusion Power) in the shower and a Braun Syncro if I am not showering. The Syncro is great. It gives a close shave and I love the self cleaning feature. I have been using it for several years and it still works great. The cleaning fluid cartriges are not cheap, but I stock up when I see them on sale. You also have to change the blade and foil every 6-8 months. All in all, it is cheaper than the replacement cartriges for an upper end manual razor.

The new Braun Activator (I think that is what it is called) is really the same thing but with a newly designed foil and some useless timer features. They sell replacement foils for the syncro with the same features, so I don't see any reason to upgrade.

Regarding the Manual Razor Vs. Electric Razor debate, I don't agree that a razor is necessarily closer than an electric. They are just different. The razor is closer with the grain, but the electric is closer against the grain.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only way I can use an electric shaver, is to start off with an unclean face, and two or three day beard growth. Under those conditions, my Braun does a good job.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Panasonic: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ES81.../dp/B000A1FFRM It's quick, it gives me a smooth shave, wet/dry, and the power adapter handles worldwide voltages (very useful if you do international travel). Also IMHO don't waste money on the models with the cleaning base unit. The cleaning cartrige refills are a rip off and you can just as easily clean the shaver in 1-2 minutes manually using some liquid hand soap. Plus you really can't take them with you when you travel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics