• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

electric shavers

alois

Reaction score
Hi
I am wanting to buy an electic shaver.So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which one was a good one to buy? Any help would be appreciated.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My opinion is that Braun is one of the best. I've had Braun and tried a couple of others but Braun seemed to work the best.

There are some forums dedicated to shaving (electric shaving) but since I am at work I don't have the links. Maybe someone could help?

Also, for me, the foil shavers worked the best and the rotary shavers I tried were terrible.

Braun

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I've flirted with electric razors but always gone back to wet shaving. However, in my somewhat haphazard experience Braun did seem to be the best of the electric shavers I tried. It's my impression that people's experiences - both with electric shaving generally and the pros and cons of various shavers - vary widely, depending in part on individual beard texture/growth rate, skin sensitivity, facial shape, shaving habits, etc.

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
My opinion is that Braun is one of the best. I've had Braun and tried a couple of others but Braun seemed to work the best.

There are some forums dedicated to shaving (electric shaving) but since I am at work I don't have the links. Maybe someone could help?

Also, for me, the foil shavers worked the best and the rotary shavers I tried were terrible.

Braun

How long did you give the rotary shaver before you gave up on it? I have tried various shavers from Remington, Philips (rotary) and Braun, and I find they're all good, but they all have one thing in common: when you first start using them they feel wrong. I recenty went from a Remington foil to a Braun foil, and even going from systems that are very similar is strange at first. After a couple of days though, you get used to the new shaver.

Some models run on either their rechargable cell or the mains, and often not both. It isn't just the el cheapo models which are like this. I would make sure that at the least you get one that runs on both. It's frusrating going to shave and finding that you forgot to charge it.

alflauren

Reaction score
I think for guys with tougher beards, the foil shavers work the best. I have had a Braun, and am currently using a Panasonic. Both have been great. The Panasonic is larger than my Braun was, but has better battery life.

I give my face a thorough once-over with the electric, and then usually there are a couple of hairs that the electric doesn't catch, so I just lightly nick those off with a regular razor, like a double-blade Schick.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
How long did you give the rotary shaver before you gave up on it? I have tried various shavers from Remington, Philips (rotary) and Braun, and I find they're all good, but they all have one thing in common: when you first start using them they feel wrong. I recenty went from a Remington foil to a Braun foil, and even going from systems that are very similar is strange at first. After a couple of days though, you get used to the new shaver.

I didn't stick with it for very long. I only used it a couple of times. The shavers were actually my dads. I've used a Braun for about 7 years (the same one but updating the heads and foil annually) but when I tried his Panasonic? Norelco? rotary shaver it didn't work very well. However, I tend to let my beard grow and from what I have read, that is more suited to foil shavers (don't remember why). My uncle has a very new Braun which is VERY nice. (I really need to get a new electric!)

My dad had better experiences with the foil when his beard was longer and better experiences with the rotary when his beard was shorter. We both found that the foil fit our faces better. The rotary was hard to get under the chin and around the neck. Works great around the face and smooth, flat surfaces but not around my (or my dad's) neck.

Now, my dad actually uses both for different circumstances or he takes the rotary to his face and shaves his neck with the foil. I know that the foil will work well under all circumstances so that is probably what I'll stick with.

I'd love to be able to shave with a razor but I have very sensitive skin and the razor destroys it. The electric doesn't shave as close as a razor so I don't get tons of ingrown hairs and, as I said before, I like some scruff anyway. It just feels better to me.

mattjames

Reaction score
I agree that the rotary doesn't shave well at the chin and neck area, and in general I believe the foil type to be better, but I suspect that if you used the Philips for a few days you would have gotten used to it. Foil is probably better at shaving longer hair, but to be honest no shaver I have used is brilliant for that. They snag and you really have to touch it to your face and move it very little until you've taken the length down a little.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
allow me to assert my unwanted, yet obligatory, "use a blade" reply. thanks.

alois

Reaction score
Okay so I think im going to get a braun shaver. Does anyone recommend any specific model? Is there a big difference between them?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should able to find some help here.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry, but you have been banned from this forum.

heh. A mod from ERR came a' trolling on the wetshaving boards, then turned around and banned us from his lol

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alois
Okay so I think im going to get a braun shaver. Does anyone recommend any specific model? Is there a big difference between them?

I haven't shopped for a new electric razor (or know the specific differences in the current Braun models) in some time but Consumer Reports (you can sign up for their website online for approx. $10? $15?) and get some reviews. I haven't been an online member for a year or two, so I don't know how good the current reviews are.

UMass

Reaction score
Braun, preferably the models made in Germany.
I have model 5610 purchased a few years ago.

otterhound

Reaction score
A dissenting voice here. I like rotary razors. I much prefer them to the foil kind. I've been happy with both Norelco and Remington.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otterhound
A dissenting voice here. I like rotary razors. I much prefer them to the foil kind. I've been happy with both Norelco and Remington.

Why do you like the rotary better than the foil?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads