• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Electric Shaver Help!

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
I have one very big problem! My new profession requires I be clean shaven every day (and in suit/tie), but every job I've had since college I was alright shaving every 2-3 days becuase I was working from home a lot and I could get away with it.

I have VERY sensitive skin, especially on my neck line, but I cannot find a shaving method that reduces this razor burn. I've tried every remedy and recommendation on the internet, but I think it might be time to buy an electric shaver. I've seen some really expensive ones ($180 or so) by Braun. I like the head design and I think this might be something that could help.

Anyone have ANY opinions about this?

I've been using the Gillette Fusion Power razor and Neutrogena Sensitive Skin gel, which gives a nice shave, but not after one day's growth.

HELP!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a double edge and traditional soap. It doesn't put nearly as much pressure on your skin as a modern razor, resulting in less razor burn since you're not pressing, just letting the razor cut.

Go to a local barbershop and have them give you a traditional shave, it'll be a straight razor, but it should give you an idea if that'll work for you.

Parallel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
Try a double edge and traditional soap. It doesn't put nearly as much pressure on your skin as a modern razor, resulting in less razor burn since you're not pressing, just letting the razor cut.

Go to a local barbershop and have them give you a traditional shave, it'll be a straight razor, but it should give you an idea if that'll work for you.

+1 to the Double Edge razor. I have extremely sensitive skin as well. Used to use a Gillette Fusion and would get horrible razor burn/in-grown hairs on my neck, despite exclusively shaving after a shower.

I switched to a DE and now enjoy shaving much more.

Cognacad

Reaction score
I use a DE razor and love it, but my neck is also bloody as sin afterwards, and I shave mostly properly. Just beware!

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
I've never used a DE razor and I wouldn't even know where to start. I've had straight edge shaves at the barber and they have come out very nicely and didn't irritate my sensitive skin. Any ideas about where to start in the DE shaving business? I'm not going to **** my own throat, am I?
smile.gif

oldboyhip

Reaction score
it's hard! i'd say don't bother if you're in a rush everyday. maybe weekends or date night. i also have a braun cruzer and don't really use it. maybe try a norelco.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I love me my electric shavers...as long as you actually replace the foils and blades, they are pretty nice to your skin (though every 6 months like they recommend seems too fast).

I use a linear one (not a rotary) and it is waterproof so I can use it in the shower which basically eliminates any irritation.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DE razors aren't hard. I've been using one for over 5 years now. It's just different and takes getting used to, even on the difficult areas like the neck. For the first year or two I had probs cutting (mainly razor burning) my neck, and now I don't even think about it. That prob is long gone, just takes practice.

Still, it's worth the learning curve.

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
Thank you everyone, some great advice. I think I'm going to purchase one of the higher end linear shavers (Braun Series 5 or 7) and give that a try while I'm gathering information of DE razors. At this point, these seem like my two best options. Cheap rotary shavers don't work on me for ****.

jcuddles

Reaction score
Go with braun that auto cleans itself plush going electric reduces bumps and cuts closer.

youdee

Reaction score
Originally Posted by WRAdvisor
Thank you everyone, some great advice. I think I'm going to purchase one of the higher end linear shavers (Braun Series 5 or 7) and give that a try while I'm gathering information of DE razors. At this point, these seem like my two best options. Cheap rotary shavers don't work on me for ****.

I would try one of the ones you can wet shave with if you have really sensitive skin, although using an electric shaver dry is arguably going to give you the best shave. Either way, when you're moving from wet to electric it's good to give the razor a 2-week grace period while your skin adjusts to the new method of hair removal. If your skin gets irritated the first few times, try to stick with it for at least those 2 weeks before you chuck it in the bin/give it to your girlfriend.

I wrote a beginner's guide to electric shaving here you might want to scan through!

vnc

Reaction score
I think that's a good idea. Even if a DE or a straight becomes your favorite way to shave, a good electric razor is a great safety net for those times you're in a hurry.

FWIW, I own a braun series 7 and quite like it.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I have to shave every day for work as well, but luckily do not suffer from skin irritation from it. What I have found is that people who use electric razors generally don't get a close enough shave from them to be considered acceptable, or they are right on the borderline. I imagine they are not using the best electrics, though, so take that with a grain of salt. I also imagine it depends on how thick your facial hair is.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
with a DE razor I get such a good shave I can do it the night before and still be smooth the whole next day!
start with youtube mantic59 and badger&blade.com forums. The general advice is go get proraso cream or something for more sensitive skin, a merkur 34 (personally I'd say stick with cartridge, just go to a 2 blade instead of 5) and a basic brush (even a cheap synthetic $10 to start).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads