• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Election Night apparel

bryce330

Reaction score
I got bored with waiting for the OH and FL returns to come in and decided to flick around the news channels evaluating the clothing of the various anchors:

Tom Brokaw (NBC): As usual, he looks the best by far of the big three network anchors.  A nice charcoal suit, white spread collar shirt, and purplish foulard tie.  Purple must be big at NBC, as Brian Williams is also wearing a purple tie.

Dan Rather (CBS):  Ugh.  Pinstripe suit (with wider pinstripes than I care for), combined with a bizarre tie with red and gray stripes of varied widths.  It's certainly possible to combine a striped suit with a striped tie, but Dan's combination doesn't work at all.

Peter Jennings (ABC):  Dark gray suit, white spread collar shirt, very conservative red/blue striped tie.  Very dark pocket square, looks almost black on TV - he should have chosen something with a bit more color.  He's also showing quite a bit of shirt collar above the suit - not sure if this is the shirt or a problem with the suit,

Brit Hume (FOX): Dark navy suit, white shirt, blue and white striped tie, and the obligatory Fox American flag pin.  His pocket square (also blue and white) matches too closely with the tie, which looks fairly unsophisticated.

Crossfire guys (CNN): There has already been a thread about Carlson's bow tie.  Begala actually looks pretty good - nice dark blue tie with white dots.  Carville dressed terribly, as usual - button down shirt, awful shoes.

Joe Scarborough (MSNBC): Navy sportcoat with light blue v neck sweater over white shirt and red tie.  Nice to see something other than the typical suit and tie, but I'm not sure the light blue sweater works for a TV anchor.  Also, the tie knot is way too small, especially with Scaborough's enormous head.

Chris Matthews (MSNBC): Decent suit, ugly tie.

What does everyone else think??

bryce330

Reaction score
Come on, someone else has to still be watching...

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree Brokaw looks the sharpest.

Oh lord, the Kerry people just introduced Edwards as the next Vice President of the United States. Talk about wishful thinking.

Poor bastards sitting out there in Boston in the rain.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Tom Brokaw (NBC): As usual, he looks the best by far of the big three network anchors.  A nice charcoal suit, white spread collar shirt, and purplish foulard tie.  Purple must be big at NBC, as Brian Williams is also wearing a purple tie.

Brit Hume (FOX): Dark navy suit, white shirt, blue and white striped tie, and the obligatory Fox American flag pin.  His pocket square (also blue and white) matches too closely with the tie, which looks fairly unsophisticated.

Chris Matthews (MSNBC): Decent suit, ugly tie.
I thought Brokaw looked good. I disagree with you about Hume. I think Hume is one of the most consistently well-dressed talking heads out there. The pocket square was the same color, but a different pattern. It was the whole patriotic blue/white motif, which I found appropriate for the evening. There is only so flamboyant they can be.

Chris Matthews always looks rough and ready, but that's the image he's trying to convey. I don't think he's interested in looking elegant.

Michael Barone had an interesting combination of striped shirt, pin striped suit and diamond-y tie with a big pocket square exploding from his pocket. Nobody beats Barone on numbers and precinct analysis, but the clothing combination didn't quite work. I will give him points for trying, though.

I thought Juan Williams looked pretty good, as usual. He's always the best dressed of the table of Fox "All-Stars", although he seemed somewhat in denial about the evening's results.

artdeco73

Reaction score
Keep in mind that most people appearing on television have much less flexibility in what to wear than the general public. Studio lighting is very artificial and exceptionally bright, altering the way many colors and textures are perceived (witness John Kerry's daughter Alexandra's snafu at the Cannes film festival). The cameras, even with today's state of the optical art, alter the perceptions further, and the worst offenders are probably our own low-resolution television sets. As a result, colors appear false and textures are all but invisible, as are fine patterns. This dictates a very limited choice in clothing -- notice the preponderance of solid or wide-striped ties, solid suits and, on women, jackets and tunics buttoned in a way that minimize or eliminate the contrasting blouses.

Regards,
Tony

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one mentioned Robert Novak? Navy three piece suit, white shirt, bright red tie, general air of evil?
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads