• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Eldridge/Harry Rothman camel polo coat

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I picked up a camel hair polo coat today with a tag (below) which reads:
Eldridge
distributed by
Harry Rothman
Fifth Avenue
Hand Tailored

It feels canvased to me. Anybody know anything about either Eldridge or Harry Rothman?

Vintage Gent? Pejsek?

pejsek

Reaction score
Hmm, is that a theological dictionary I spy peeking out from behind the right (!) shoulder? A very nice coat, Alan. I don't really know anything about Harry Rothman, but I have seen the name. immsmc, I think they may have had a shop in the District of Columbia. I really love camel hair and that's just such a classic design with a very nice lapel buttonhole. My grandfather absolutely revered camel hair. My grandmother always wanted something like a nice bright red coat, yet somehow she always came home with the camel hair. I'm always on the lookout for coats, but I think men in San Francisco stopped wearing them in the 1960s. I always see a load of coats for women at the thrift stores (I bought my wife two great alpaca ones last year) but the men's rack is a sorry, sorry spectacle.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Rothman apparently was a discounter of some sort, so this may have been a house brand.

It looks very similar to the vintage coat that kitonbrioni has posted pics of (the one on the far right, sorry for stealing your pic kb):

The Eldridge I have is quarter lined as well, the pockets are very similar as are the turned back sleeve cuffs.

There's only one button hole on the lapel on my Eldridge, but it actually is functional as there's a button high on the right side that it can be attached to. It also has a lapel buttonhole flower catch on the underside of the lapel beneath the buttonhole, a feature I've only seen elsewhere on Oxxford.

Originally Posted by pejsek
Hmm, is that a theological dictionary I spy peeking out from behind the right (!) shoulder?
It's actually a book on Soviet Photography, but I put a different cover on it to throw people off...

pejsek

Reaction score
It's actually a book on Soviet Photography, but I put a different cover on it to throw people off...[/quote]

Which is exactly what I thought. Anyway, great coat and thanks, I suppose, are in order for letting us all bask once more in the glory of kb's trinity.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 133 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 250 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 120 15.6%
  • 31 - 40