• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

El Bulli: a day at the world's best restaurant

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Oh... I thought it would be more. That's really not bad for what you get.

Well, that's what I found on an eGullet thread. That was in 06, so I imagine the price has gone up, but I can't find anything showing their current prices.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that it's around 400/person, and that El Bulli has been operating as a loss for quite some time...

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the video it says the restaurant's losing money, but he makes money through other things like book deals etc...

Seems like it'd be a really fun and interesting experience to have dinner there, though I don't know if I can eat for 4 hours at a time.

Zubberah

Reaction score
He's just been in Australia. Bit of a circus really ...

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NaTionS
In the video it says the restaurant's losing money, but he makes money through other things like book deals etc...

Seems like it'd be a really fun and interesting experience to have dinner there, though I don't know if I can eat for 4 hours at a time.

...or get a reservation: something like a 1 in 285 chance of getting one.
I think the price is a bit higher than 170euro.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
43 courses... How much is a meal there?

I'm sure they're mostly, small, one or two bite courses. You can take a look at a catalog of creations on their website.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its somewhere between 200 and 250... And yeah, the restaurant doesnt make any money. The chef makes his by doing tours around the world, the main reason why they are open only a couple of months a year. I believe they are sponsered by some chain as well, allthough they dont advertise it.. El Bulli is mainly a laboratory for new experiences, a purpose it serves quite good..Anyone wanting to visit should expect just that. If you're going for the food ramsays restaurant in London would serve just as well, as would any 3 michelin star place...

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife had lunch at Tetou in Golfe-Juan Vallauris today.

A green salad, bouillabaisse (their specialty) and a glass of wine. 170 euros.

Some bowl of soup.

lefty

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty

Some bowl of soup.

lefty

Yikes!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whenever I try gourmet restaurants I am always left with the feeling that it cost $180 too much, the meal being $190.

The cubes of soup probably taste like bouillon cubes.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lefty

Some bowl of soup.

lefty

I believe the soup you refer to is quite time- and ingredient- intensive, hence the fabulous flavour. If you've ever spent any time in the restaurants of the south of France, you'll be aware of this 'signature' dish of the coastal region.
I'm sure some establishments will take the proverbial. Also, what wine did you have?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
I believe the soup you refer to is quite time- and ingredient- intensive, hence the fabulous flavour. If you've ever spent any time in the restaurants of the south of France, you'll be aware of this 'signature' dish of the coastal region. I'm sure some establishments will take the proverbial. Also, what wine did you have?
I had take out pizza and a Guinness as I worked on the outside of my house in NJ. My wife is on a business trip in Cannes and lunched alone at Tetou. I can't imagine her wine was that expensive, but she did say the meal was sublime. lefty

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen the El Bulli and Alinea cookbooks and thought the Alinea was better. I would also love to check out the corresponding interactive website for Alinea they created for this. There's an in depth thread on egullet covering this edition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads