• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eidos Napoli

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd love to see a thread where industry insiders can recommend the best value products using their supply chain and materials knowledge.

This thread is currently the closest thing because Antonio is so transparent. An average joe like me can't tell the different between a well-made sweater and a crappy one at a glance.

I'll say buy what you like (and can afford) foremost...

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@NickPollica what would something like this cost made in italy? 100% knit by hand

View attachment 1255633

that’s a moving target because I don’t know the yarn, etc but at least 1-1.5k.
I'd love to see a thread where industry insiders can recommend the best value products using their supply chain and materials knowledge.

This thread is currently the closest thing because Antonio is so transparent. An average joe like me can't tell the different between a well-made sweater and a crappy one at a glance.

In my experience most people have no idea what good quality actually looks like.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
exactly, better buy aesthetics than quality than whatever you prefer..., if it looks bad then quality doesn't really matter...

crazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The best product in the world is made in China. By a long shot.

really love your candour.
I will have to pay attention to RRL more.
Recently when RL relaunched their classics nostalgia inducing collections, i have a newfound appreciation for the ralph lauren brand

I have to ask, wrt to textile and fiber development. Are the companies like cariaggi ( which u kindly introduced me to), loro piana, albini etc. behind the chinese or are the chinese that far ahead.

Last edited:

Mikerob_82

Reaction score
The best product in the world is made in China. By a long shot.

Makes sense. A lot of what is labeled Made in USA or Italy is still made in China anyways.

In my experience Chinese factories have better communication, and quicker and more consistent product.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I’m generalizing but a good rule of thumb is, the faster the fashion, the worse the quality. Polo’s development cycle is notoriously long - which was part of what Stefan Larsson was brought in to change - but this development is the reason their construction details, fabrics and washes are untouchable.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Makes sense. A lot of what is labeled Made in USA or Italy is still made in China anyways.

In my experience Chinese factories have better communication, and quicker and more consistent product.

Better communication, far more detail oriented and organized, much more consistent (Im talking Italy to China). The benefit of the US is language and proximity. If you live in NY or LA, it’s easy to go check stuff. But most American operations lack the resources found overseas. You can knock out an entire garment in one place there. In NY or LA often you have to buy the fabric and trims, then one places cuts and sews, then another washes or dyes, etc.

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New York Blues is the only Eidos collection that matters but my greatest hits are currently in progress over at 18east.co
I know exactly why you mean. Creative work I did 5 years ago, and was proud of then, I look at today and think “I had no idea what I was doing,” lol. My wife experienced the same when she was doing pro photog work. I’ve even done stuff I’ve been embarrassed by posthumously.
But if the work, at the time, in the context of the time and for your customers, resonated—even if you’re a way better creator now—isn’t meaningless, just part of your growth journey.
Anyway keep on keeping on my friend!

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been wearing some old Eidos standards on our trip to Italy. Had to really go for layering. Tuesday took us from 10-16°C in the Dolomites to 18-22°C in Cinque Terre. Actually we were unprepared for the cold weather in South Tyrol.

Attachments

• 970D00C4-4949-4803-8036-B7B9CF924502.jpeg
    970D00C4-4949-4803-8036-B7B9CF924502.jpeg
    328.4 KB · Views: 136
  • AD708BEE-B5B5-4EBF-91EB-A2B44A6A480B.jpeg
    AD708BEE-B5B5-4EBF-91EB-A2B44A6A480B.jpeg
    357.3 KB · Views: 138

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I know exactly why you mean. Creative work I did 5 years ago, and was proud of then, I look at today and think “I had no idea what I was doing,” lol. My wife experienced the same when she was doing pro photog work. I’ve even done stuff I’ve been embarrassed by posthumously.
But if the work, at the time, in the context of the time and for your customers, resonated—even if you’re a way better creator now—isn’t meaningless, just part of your growth journey.
Anyway keep on keeping on my friend!

I'm proud of the aesthetics of most of what I made at Eidos. Execution is a different story. NY Blues had the best fabrics, silhouettes and was realized the closest to actual design intention. Sadly, at that point it was too late.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm proud of the aesthetics of most of what I made at Eidos. Execution is a different story. NY Blues had the best fabrics, silhouettes and was realized the closest to actual design intention. Sadly, at that point it was too late.
Ohh I feel you on that.
well, as one brand I follow likes to say, onward and upward!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads