• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eidos Napoli

Nbarbar

Reaction score
Other than color and the hood I don’t see much similarity. Antonio’s has raglan shoulders, completely different placket, the quilting is bigger, no strings ....
Totally, no disrespect to Antionio but some of his champions here think he invented the t-shirt.

upflup

Reaction score
Other than color and the hood I don’t see much similarity. Antonio’s has raglan shoulders, completely different placket, the quilting is bigger, no strings ....

I see what you're saying but doesn't some of it have to come down to cost and factory capabilities? A lot of what Antonio did isn't able to be done in a large, cheap scale

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I see what you're saying but doesn't some of it have to come down to cost and factory capabilities? A lot of what Antonio did isn't able to be done in a large, cheap scale

If I could have made outerwear in Asian JCrew factories I would have done so in two seconds.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no idea who RL and JCrew are using, but I would prefer the one RL uses over the one JCrew uses (or at least the quality RL is asking the factory to make to)

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
J Crew and RL use a lot of the same manufacturers (or at least they did when I worked at RL). The head of Rugby design used to complain that we could never compete with J Crew on the price of our core chino (despite the fact they were made in the same place with similar make) simply because they were ordering 5x more than we were. These places have invested insane amounts of money and hours to develop a incredible, consistent product. Their washing techniques are unrivaled. I’ve said this repeatedly, but in Italy I tried and failed for 5 years to replicate things we did at RL in Asia. I would argue that RL product is technically the best in the world (a lot of that comes from design approach) and designers and sourcing people at Polo often complained we didn’t have the units to get into JCrew factories.

In my experience, the concept of made in Italy or Made in America as a signal of the best quality is largely a myth when it comes to non-handmade, industrialized clothing.

Last edited:

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I love my RRL pants I have to say...

RRL manufacturing is the best of the best. Also, just a bit of info but the herringbone gauze single pleats we ran and developed for 18 East - that fabric was redeveloped from a J Crew women’s cargo pant fabric that my wife has had for 15 years and has washed and aged beautifully.

NickPollica

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Luenthai and Esquel are both world class makers that I believe work with both. Vertical companies that develop yarns, fabrics, washes and do all manufacturing on site. I have been to both and Luenthai was the most impressive manufacturing facility I’ve ever seen.

4453E38B-593F-4E43-A995-13A771AAB4E3.png

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd love to see a thread where industry insiders can recommend the best value products using their supply chain and materials knowledge.

This thread is currently the closest thing because Antonio is so transparent. An average joe like me can't tell the different between a well-made sweater and a crappy one at a glance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads