• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eidos Napoli

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shout out to @NickPollica —I have an Eidos suit and a Formosa suit sitting side by side here, both from NMWA. I appreciate Formosa's quality, but the Eidos blows it away in character and style.

Lots of people love Formosa and point to it as an excellent example of Neapolitan tailoring. Obviously different strokes for different folks (ok that's out of the way). And I fully understand there's no "definitive" Neapolitan maker out there who completely embodies what makes Neapolitan tailoring so beloved (especially in the world of RTW), but if Formosa is as close as you can get, no thanks. It has no character other than its make, in my opinion. It is not special. I have yet to see a single photo of Formosa that is super flattering to the person it sits on, nor have I seen any photo that makes the silhouette it cuts look special.

This is why I was so disconcerted last season, dude. I feared Eidos' NMWA cut was becoming Formosa.

I'm glad to see—whatever the reason, and you can argue all day long that nothing changed last season lol—that's not the case.

Cheers my man!
What do you consider character and style in a suit? (just wondering what would you describe as the differences - the main difference ive seen is that the eidos looks slimmer/ the formosa seems like a more 'relaxed' cut?)

Last edited:

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Shout out to @NickPollica—I have an Eidos suit and a Formosa suit sitting side by side here, both from NMWA. I appreciate Formosa's quality, but the Eidos blows it away in character and style.

Lots of people love Formosa and point to it as an excellent example of Neapolitan tailoring. Obviously different strokes for different folks (ok that's out of the way). And I fully understand there's no "definitive" Neapolitan maker out there who completely embodies what makes Neapolitan tailoring so beloved (especially in the world of RTW), but if Formosa is as close as you can get, no thanks. It has no character other than its make, in my opinion. It is not special. I have yet to see a single photo of Formosa that is super flattering to the person it sits on, nor have I seen any photo that makes the silhouette it cuts look special.

This is why I was so disconcerted last season, dude. I feared Eidos' NMWA cut was becoming Formosa.

I'm glad to see—whatever the reason, and you can argue all day long that nothing changed last season lol—that's not the case.

Cheers my man!

I don't own Formosa, and I don't know what this means. Sounds a little too fan-boyish.

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do you consider character and style in a suit? (just wondering)

tbh it's probably just my personal preference for a "rounder" silhouette. and trying to break it down would be hard, but let me say it this way:
what set Tom Ford's suits apart in his prime?
what set Thom Browne's suits apart in his prime?
what set Armani's suits apart in his prime?
In the era those guys were at their prime, it's not as if wide, peak-lapel suits had never existed, or narrow-lapeled suits, or drapey, comfortable suits, but a set of design decisions by TF, TB or Armani set theirs apart. And when their designs caught on and everybody else followed them, what continued to set them apart from the crowd?
Maybe I just have a personal preference for the vision Antonio has executed versus what the head designer (not sure if there is one?) at Formosa executes. But there's something special going on here.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't own Formosa, but I don't know what this means. Sounds a little too fan-boyish.

lol. it's no secret i'm a fan, but i won't pretend there's stuff about each and every eidos garment i own that i don't like and / or bugs me. but the overall silhouette, which is created by dozens of small decisions, all add up to a whole. i'm judging the two side by side and one is a lot more attractive to me.

btw if this season's cut were like last season i wouldn't be writing this.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tbh it's probably just my personal preference for a "rounder" silhouette. and trying to break it down would be hard, but let me say it this way:

Maybe I just have a personal preference for the vision Antonio has executed versus what the head designer (not sure if there is one?) at Formosa executes. But there's something special going on here.
Sorry - added in a bit to be clearer in my question as well. I'l have to check out Eidos in the future

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry - added in a bit to be clearer in my question as well.

i'd say it's more than that, though (slimmer vs more relaxed). a more drapey chest is part of the formosa silhouette—i'd probably nip the waist a bit if i were to decide to buy one. but i consider my brown raw silk suit from a year ago's season. got some extra room in the chest, is a little looser overall, yet a more attractive cut overall.

I don't know. i appreciate you guys pushing me on this because it's super possible i am just strongly opinionated based on nothing more than those opinions, lol. i really wish i could pinpoint exactly why it is i feel the way i do, pointing to specific features.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ummm...

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to debate aesthetic (p)references - we all come at things from different backgrounds and through different paths. I think the two silhouettes are great on you but you can't force anyone to like something. It either speaks to you or it doesn't. For example, I know that you posted another jacket (beige check) on instagram a couple of days ago, and that lapel and line was not very attractive to me. Different strokes...

Last edited:

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hard to debate aesthetic (p)references - we all come at things from different backgrounds and through different paths.  I think the two silhouettes are great on you but you can't force anyone to like something. It either speaks to you or it doesn't.   For example,  I know that you posted another jacket (beige check) on instagram a couple of days ago, and that lapel and line was not very attractive to me.  Different strokes...

absolutely! my personal preferences are totally informed by my own opinions and biases. sometimes i think what i like has more to do with what i grew up seeing and the crap mens wearhouse type suits that were the norm back then (and the ones i wore in my late teens / early 20s! ick! lol), and just being different than that, than anything else, you know?

maybe that's it—i like 3-roll-2, not 2 button, or a hard 3-button, the latter of which are both super common and badly done (i owned two hard 3's growing up; ugh). i like very soft, very natural shoulders (formosa is too built up for me! insane!). i like a very rounded look, with a clean line going through the lapel roll in 3 dimensional space down through a rounded bottom at the hem (vox's steed jackets are all too angular for me! i know! i don't like vox's suits! who am i and what have i become?! lol).

so that's it for me guys. this is why i don't post on the forum very much. my ocd comes through :)

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does Isaia/Eidos have an outlet/factory store in Italy? Maybe something similar to Cucinelli's outlet in Solemeo?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking of visiting NYC this weekend. Do any stores besides Bloomies and Gentry carry Eidos? Maybe Saks?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads