• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eidos Napoli

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Much compliments on this donegal in particular
I also own the donegal denim shirt and ditto the sentiment that it is fantastic. I really like the fabric on this one, too. PSA: Anyone still looking for a size small navy basketweave cardigan should call Bloomindales King of Prussia, PA. I was in there this past weekend and they had it sitting in an odd space in the back for about $250 or so I believe. It was 100% an online purchase and in-store return as the Men's collection at this particular store is pretty wack. I actually saw the green windowpane roll neck there on the shelf still laying around from my return a few months (I loved it, but was committed to other things at the time) and picked it up again. Really nice knit.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sales are a disaster for us. The direct effect on the store effects us just as much the next season when they are placing their buy.

True. We are facing some hard decisions about which brands to continue buying or not based on a few seasons and the sell-through rates.

I'm not sure the end consumer realizes that, unlike big retailers who engineer the pricing and markdown schedule in a way to be profitable throughout the markdowns (i.e. over-markup at full price, so that they still have margin at 70% off), the niche and specialty retailers do not play those games. If a brand sells primarily on sale, it will contribute a loss to our financials, and there is no rational argument for continuing it.
Which just explains further the need to cater to the masses, even if the masses have ****** taste.
I don't follow the logic... Are the "****** taste masses" the ones who pay full price for their clothing purchases? I'm not sure that is the case.

The most important for a brand and retailer is to align with their target customer. We need to cater to the ones that understand exactly the design ethos and value of the makers and pieces we sell. Only when you're able to communicate with those, do you have a customer who understands the value of the item before it gets marked down. In Eidos's case, they need each assortment to properly cater to the customer that store deals with. That means using different fits and jacket styles for Bloomingdales and for us. I can safely assume that the intersection of people who shop at No Man Walks Alone and people who shop at Bloomingdale is quite small - and that intersection is pretty much = people who buy Eidos.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'll gladly continue to buy Eidos at full retail. Amazing value.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It doesn't hurt that RTW Eidos looks MTM on you! I think the Eidos value proposition is undeniable for cut, fabric, styling, and construction. I'm passing on this season's sales to do a MTO suit with them this spring/summer.

TM79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't follow the logic...  Are the "****** taste masses" the ones who pay full price for their clothing purchases?  I'm not sure that is the case.

The most important for a brand and retailer is to align with their target customer.  We need to cater to the ones that understand exactly the design ethos and value of the makers and pieces we sell.  Only when you're able to communicate with those, do you have a customer who understands the value of the item before it gets marked down.    In Eidos's case, they need each assortment to properly cater to the customer that store deals with.  That means using different fits and jacket styles for Bloomingdales and for us.   I can safely assume that the intersection of people who shop at No Man Walks Alone and people who shop at Bloomingdale is quite small - and that intersection is pretty much = people who buy Eidos.

My comment didn't have anything to do with full price vs sale price - it just had to do with it being a shame the longer length jackets have to be removed from Bloomingdales because only more fashion forward and shorter length things seem to be selling well.

I do understand the need to stock a store in such a way that aligns with what sells quickly and at prices that result in net gains.

So that just feeds into my point that I think Joe Public may have crappy taste ... subjective statement by me, of course.

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So how does one go about MTM with Eidos?

I imagine you could contact Antonio (NickPollica) and work directly with Eidos, but I plan to go through No Man Walks Alone.

DanTheLadiesMan

Reaction score

I imagine you could contact Antonio (NickPollica) and work directly with Eidos, but I plan to go through No Man Walks Alone. 

I PM'd Antonio about this a while ago. He suggested going with No Man Walks Alone or Carlson Street Clothiers. I could be wrong, but I don't think Antonio does MTM himself.

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can only tell you that we won't have it - but I'm not sure this helps you

Rincon

Reaction score
Sales - except the rare occasion when the perfect piece comes up - are fools gold anyways IMO.

You can only have/wear so many garments... better to buy 1 perfect thing at retail than 3 pretty good things on sale.

I had a pretty good experience with Eidos MTM (outside of a couple small foibles) and could see myself doing it again.

Sometimes when I'm looking at their stuff I hold back though. Either opting for the premium fabrics of their parent (dat aquacashmere) or thinking, sh:t, Suitsupply has a pretty good version of this jacket for 35% of the price (yes, I realize that directly contradicts my first statement above... I don't follow my own advice).

SouthNarc

Reaction score

I PM'd Antonio about this a while ago. He suggested going with No Man Walks Alone or Carlson Street Clothiers. I could be wrong, but I don't think Antonio does MTM himself.

Thanks guys I appreciate advice.:)

hanbei23

Reaction score
Quote:I can safely assume that the intersection of people who shop at No Man Walks Alone and people who shop at Bloomingdale is quite small - and that intersection is pretty much = people who buy Eidos.

Very true!

Chaconne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can only tell you that we won't have it - but I'm not sure this helps you

That is too bad as I would be happy to limit all my shopping to NMWA. It is a great resource and it makes things easier. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find it somewhere. Thanks for letting me know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads