• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Egyptian vs. Standard BB Cotton....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can any of you share your experiences with Brooks Brothers' Egyptian cotton, non-iron shirts vs. their regular all-cotton, non-iron shirts? Specifically with French cuffs. I thought I'd try it once, and the $135 shirt was greatly reduced (sale still going on). The new shirt has a wonderful feel, and I notice the buttons are thicker (don't know if there's much advantage there - I haven't had a problem with BB buttons breaking) but I wonder if the material will last better.

Most of my BB non-iron shirts with French cuffs have first deteriorated along the crease where the cuffs are folded back. It always seemed like this happened too soon - in other words it was the first thing to go on the shirt. I do have one quite a while now without my noticing that happening, but it has happend a number of times. I've tried other brands, and one other has done it so far. Do you think the Egyptian cotton will last longer without this happening? How about taking stains, washing in general, or any other wear issues? Shirt is beautiful but many of the regular non-cotton BB shirts are as well.
thumbs-up.gif

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP....I am assuming 1818 line , or is it 1818 vs. 346? or GF, BF?
see related thread as it may provide some of the answers... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=226846
BB is my go to source locally for my shirting needs. I am also in the process of understanding their shirting and suiting lines....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't believe I've ever bought a BB 346 shirt. If mine over the years are 1818 I don't ever recall seeing that on the label. Again - I'm referring to the currently $135 Egyptian cotton French cuff non-iron shirts vs. the regular $79.50 French cuff non-iron shirts.
I just looked at the thread you referred to and find nothing there of value as to my inquiry. Thanks.

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This would be the type of non-iron, French cuff BB shirt I've been getting:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...uct_Id=1472156

What's an "1818" dress shirt? I see they have "1818" suits, etc., and that the dress shirt referred to as "luxury" is listed at $168. Definitely not what I've been getting.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
I don't believe I've ever bought a BB 346 shirt.
I have a few...
smile.gif
don't start now...Post SF and learning more about quality and made, I can see why...I've been staying with the 1818 line and get slowly into GF and BF as the prices are little over my budget for now...although I found a great fitting BF recently at a local BB outlet..

Originally Posted by Lafont
What's an "1818" dress shirt? I see they have "1818" suits, etc., and that the dress shirt referred to as "luxury" is listed at $168. Definitely not what I've been getting.
I could be wrong, but I think 1818 vs. Luxury are due to differences in material...I was searching for related threads but failed to find one...

shout out to BB shirting experts out there....

Lafont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I associate the 346 line - in recent years - with our BB Outlet store near Cleveland. I know, according to the BB history book, 346's were sold in regular BB outlets, but our two here do not carry them, as far as I know.
eh.gif

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the 346 is the outlet brand and all outlets carry it. Its a filler because the stores don't get all that much retail 1818 items

the way to tell is if it says 346 on the tag its outlet. If it says 1818 on the tag its retail.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads