Egg whites

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Connemara, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I've decided to switch over to egg whites. I eat eggs practically every morning but I'm not so sure ingesting all of that cholesterol and saturated fat is a good idea.

With liquid egg whites, do they scramble like real eggs? Or are they all runny?

2. ama

ama Senior member

They are tasteless.

3. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

A few eggs a day won't kill you, Conne. It's the binge drinking, lack of exercise, and otherwise entirely shitty diet that will.

4. Connemara

1.) I have maybe a drink a week these days. 2.) I exercise several times a week. 3.) My diet is being improved by the day, as evidenced by my loss of 10 lbs. [​IMG]

5. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

They scramble more or less alright, but the texture and flavor isn't really there. I like the hint of yolk Egg Beaters for that purpose, gives a little better overall experience.

Then again, I eat whole eggs almost all the time. The fat helps you stay full longer, and the saturated fat hasn't been demonstrated to be a problem for healthy people (even if overweight).

6. Connemara

I was a bit worried about taste. Knowing me, I'll probably try them tomorrow and then go back to regular eggs. [​IMG]

7. Davidko19

Davidko19 Senior member

use them for an omelette. I do this almost every morning and it works very well when you can throw some peppers, meat or cheese in these.

scrambling plain would be...meh.

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

1.) I have maybe a drink a week these days.
    2.) I exercise several times a week.
    3.) My diet is being improved by the day, as evidenced by my loss of 10 lbs. [​IMG]

Do you eat sweets? Some people I know have dessert on a nightly basis. I can't really go a day without some sort of treat...a cookie or a brownie or a Snickers or whatever. I get nice and high after one of those. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I've decided to switch over to egg whites. I eat eggs practically every morning but I'm not so sure ingesting all of that cholesterol and saturated fat is a good idea.

With liquid egg whites, do they scramble like real eggs? Or are they all runny?

Dietary cholesterol isn't going to cause you an issue, especially if it's only 3-4 eggs a day. The saturated fat won't kill you either. Keep the yolks and cut out other junk. Egg whites make for a generally crappy breakfast and will probably leave you unsatisfied (and thus more likely to eat junk). If nothing else, keep 2 whole eggs and toss in a few yolks.

11. forStyle

forStyle Well-Known Member

I love them sunny side up. slightly runny. There is a certain taste to them.

Egg yolks have some nutrients too, like choline.

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

fwiw I feel sad for yolks that are thrown away. such a waste of yellow yummy goodness.

13. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    1.) I have maybe a drink a week these days.
    2.) I exercise several times a week.
    3.) My diet is being improved by the day, as evidenced by my loss of 10 lbs. [​IMG]

I don't think vigorous masturbation exactly counts as "exercise"...
    [​IMG]

14. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

fwiw I feel sad for yolks that are thrown away. such a waste of yellow yummy goodness.

While in Texas I had a fried egg on top of a steak. It was a first for me. I broke the yolk and it sort of just seeped in through the pores of the meat. Decadent, but quite delicious.

15. rockofeller

rockofeller Senior member

Background: I'm a former personal trainer with a masters degree and sports nutrition is my hobby...

Unless you're trying to gain weight, stick with the whites. You can use 1 egg yolk for flavor, if you like, and you won't really suffer for it - but I personally don't because i enjoy the convenience of using only boxed egg whites. To add flavor to your egg recipes use a pinch of salt or spices. Terragon is great with eggs. Cook them slower to get more fluffiness if that's what you're after (low heat, will take 10-15 min to scramble). Throw a bunch of salsa on top of them - I like to keep a few flavors around. Salsa is low calorie and provides some of the healthy goodness of vegetables (usually mostly tomatoes). Watch out for added sugars in your salsas, however. I wouldn't be surprised if some cheaper brands have these and worse.