• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG vs. St. Crispin's

ragdoll

Reaction score
I was considering purchasing a couple of pairs of high end shoes and have narrowed it down to EG and St. Crispins which are about the same price range (perhaps St. Crispin's is 10% more).
Does anyone have an informed opinion of which is the better shoe either in terms of construction, materials or style?
Any other suggestions in this price range? Vass, of course, but that has been discussed ad nauseum
tongue.gif
!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My advice would be to go with the shoes that is most pleasing to your eye, at those prices ranges and given both brands reputation you can't go wrong either way.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I totally agree with Bill. If you add John Lobb to the mix with St. Crispin's and EG you've got a wide variety of styles that are all exceptionally well made. It simply comes down to fit and taste as you won't go wrong with any of these.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make sure you try both on before buying, I'd never suggest ordering online or via phone if you have no prior experience with the brand. Sizing seems to be more of an art than science.

UR003

Reaction score
St. Crispin's have more handwork; also the shoes are more asymmetrical. On some pairs you can still sea the wooden pens used to attach different layers of leather (of the sole) to each other. The leather of the heel is also attached by wooden pens. The heel cap (I mean the piece of leather or plastic between the upper and the inner that supports your heel) is very elongated, to halfway the arch of your foot. Very nice.
However, there are only two pairs I would consider buying, the Bicolore and the Seamless, whereas there are over five pairs of EG I plan to purchase in the future. The toe boxes of the Crispin's are just a bit too high to my liking. This, of course, is something you won't notice yourself when wearing the shoes. And I do have to say, they are a very nice walk. Better than EG, imho. So I would buy the Greens if I went for the looks, and the Crispin's if comfort were more important to me. Also, the Crispin's are the more artisanal of the two brands. St. Crispin's also has a made to order program, and a bespoke. Here in Holland, if you buy MTO, the lasted(!) shoe trees are included free of charge. (Don't know about RTW.)

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take into consideration which one A)fits the best and B) looks the best to you and fits your needs. No point in buying a shoe that is better quality (and at this point its very close and both are great shoes) that your not gonna be comfy in or feel like you look good in.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UR003
St. Crispin's have more handwork; also the shoes are more asymmetrical. On some pairs you can still sea the wooden pens used to attach different layers of leather (of the sole) to each other. The leather of the heel is also attached by wooden pens. The heel cap (I mean the piece of leather or plastic between the upper and the inner that supports your heel) is very elongated, to halfway the arch of your foot. Very nice.
However, there are only two pairs I would consider buying, the Bicolore and the Seamless, whereas there are over five pairs of EG I plan to purchase in the future. The toe boxes of the Crispin's are just a bit too high to my liking. This, of course, is something you won't notice yourself when wearing the shoes. And I do have to say, they are a very nice walk. Better than EG, imho. So I would buy the Greens if I went for the looks, and the Crispin's if comfort were more important to me. Also, the Crispin's are the more artisanal of the two brands. St. Crispin's also has a made to order program, and a bespoke. Here in Holland, if you buy MTO, the lasted(!) shoe trees are included free of charge. (Don't know about RTW.)

Are you a stijlforum member? I just ordered a pair of St. Crispin's (the Seamless) and it sounds like you already have some experience with the brand. St. Crispins seemed to fit me better than EG so that's why I went with them. Apart from that I like the seamless, but I don't know about their other models. They seem a bit off on the photos.

UR003

Reaction score
I'm sooo busted. Yes I am (a member of the Dutch stijlforum.nl that is).
I tried on a pair of St. Crispin's at Sir Max in Amsterdam. Really liked the way they walked, the support and the fit. But as I wrote above, there are only two models I would like to own. I really think the toe box is a bit too high. The other pairs that are offered by Sir Max, I don't like them, really. So it will be Edward Green for me in the near future, and perhaps the Bicolore by St. Crispin's. But a spectator is a shoe one buys when one owns plenty of other quality shoes, and I haven't reached the point yet that I can say that I do.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by UR003
I'm sooo busted. Yes I am (a member of the Dutch stijlforum.nl that is).
I tried on a pair of St. Crispin's at Sir Max in Amsterdam. Really liked the way they walked, the support and the fit. But as I wrote above, there are only two models I would like to own. I really think the toe box is a bit too high. The other pairs that are offered by Sir Max, I don't like them, really. So it will be Edward Green for me in the near future, and perhaps the Bicolore by St. Crispin's. But a spectator is a shoe one buys when one owns plenty of other quality shoes, and I haven't reached the point yet that I can say that I do.

Migliore?

I agree that the toe box on most models could be a bit more elegant. But I think the shoes look completely different once you wear them. They become less 'clunky' and just look right. At least to my eye.

UR003

Reaction score
I have to agree with you on that. And when the view from the top is different for the wearer, my guess is the same goes for admirers. But I like to look at shoes both when I am and am not wearing them (sounds a little sick, I know), so I would rule out buying any other St. Crispin's than the Seamless and BiColore (esp. like the latter). I am not Migliore, though I do share his taste in shoes (a bit).

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was considering purchasing a couple of pairs of high end shoes and have narrowed it down to EG and St. Crispins which are about the same price range (perhaps St. Crispin's is 10% more).
Does anyone have an informed opinion of which is the better shoe either in terms of construction, materials or style?
Any other suggestions in this price range? Vass, of course, but that has been discussed ad nauseum
tongue.gif
!

If you are purchasing a couple pairs, why do you feel constrained to choose one brand or the other - why not both?

Other suggested brands: Gaziano & Girling, Antonio Meccariello.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with this pair of derby by Saint Crispin's:

https://www.saintcrispins.com/product/five-eyelet-split-toe-derby-with-hand-stitched-apron-4/

How do you compare them with Dover by Edward Green?

Thanks

I have a pair of those almost in the same exact make up (might the exactly the same, I don't remember).

I don't know if I can say anything that you prob don't already know. StC is sleeker and closer fitting, but it's also a little less forgiving. The sole is tougher to break in at first, and since the shoes are cut so close to the foot, you have to fit into them well. I wouldn't buy a pair on the grey market without the option of returning, personally. Would only buy from a trusted seller that can help with sizing and returns if you need.

If you don't fit into them well at first, then StC has a customization program that allows you to get a personalized last. But again, good to work with a reliable store on this.

Dovers are Goodyear welted. StC is handwelted and pegged.

StC's aren't a pie crust apron, but you can ask for a handsewn apron (maybe they can do pie crust on MTO, I don't know). Some StCs are also machine stitched around the apron.

The biggest difference though is the shape. StCs are just a lot more shapely. Doesn't mean they're necessarily better, it just depends on what kind of look you want.

Some StC leathers are also crust and hand stained, which requires a bit more maintenance. The ones you linked look like they're non-crust and just grained, which should have the same care routine as any EG leathers.

I wear both and like them.

andreasky

Reaction score
I have a pair of those almost in the same exact make up (might the exactly the same, I don't remember).

I don't know if I can say anything that you prob don't already know. StC is sleeker and closer fitting, but it's also a little less forgiving. The sole is tougher to break in at first, and since the shoes are cut so close to the foot, you have to fit into them well. I wouldn't buy a pair on the grey market without the option of returning, personally. Would only buy from a trusted seller that can help with sizing and returns if you need.

If you don't fit into them well at first, then StC has a customization program that allows you to get a personalized last. But again, good to work with a reliable store on this.

Dovers are Goodyear welted. StC is handwelted and pegged.

StC's aren't a pie crust apron, but you can ask for a handsewn apron (maybe they can do pie crust on MTO, I don't know). Some StCs are also machine stitched around the apron.

The biggest difference though is the shape. StCs are just a lot more shapely. Doesn't mean they're necessarily better, it just depends on what kind of look you want.

Some StC leathers are also crust and hand stained, which requires a bit more maintenance. The ones you linked look like they're non-crust and just grained, which should have the same care routine as any EG leathers.

I wear both and like them.

Thank you for your valuable comments!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads