• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG Top Drawer worth the price?

Harrydog

Reaction score
I am thinking of placing an order for the Shannon in a calf/suede combo, perhaps with the Beaulieu wingtip.

Turn around on a regular MTO is 12 weeks. Top Drawer is 9 months
eek.gif

The Top Drawer is 50% more expensive. Can some owners of Top Drawer chip in on whether you think the step up is worth it?

Would it make more sense on a different shoe? I am going for a sleek dress boot here, blind lacing all the way up, 82 last.

Color suggestions? Most commonly I have seen the dark oak/mink suede.

rogerm

Reaction score
I too would love to see some pictures and get some feedback on the top drawer program.

I also have been reading the Cliff Roberts thread and have been thinking he may be a better option.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Harry...I have three pairs, 2 of which I bought at very onset of the program which did not live up their billing and the third sometime later (pictured below) and they are significantly nicer than the first generation or your standard EG offering. That being said, I personally don't feel they are worth the upcharge and would rather have 2 (almost 3) pairs of Vass instead. RJMan also has much experience with TD and his thoughts are probably somewhat counter to mine. EG Top Drawer Fairfax, Dark Oak, 82 Last

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
A non-gemmed shoe?
patch[1].gif

Ha ha ha, no.
plain.gif

I would not get the boot you describe in Top Drawer.

I have two pairs of Top Drawer shoes. EG appears to be using two selling points for Top Drawer: 1) the finishing is supposed to be better (nice waist bevelling, extra polishing, initialling on the waist if you forget your name) and 2) the possibility to change a pattern or engage in more customization than you can in the usual EG made to order program.

I would only get TD if you are hoping to order something that is significantly different from the EG stock catalog. The finishing is indeed even better than on normal EG, and the bevelled waist is nice, but last time I checked (two years ago) they would only make a single sole in Top Drawer -- even on a boot, and to me that seems like a bit of a waste -- wouldn't you want a double sole or a HAF sole on boots? The other points of customization you mention sound nice but I would cross my fingers and hope that EG would allow them in the normal MTO program, since they sound fairly modest. One member had EG make TD boots with panels of tweed he provided. I think they would only do something like that in TD. A lot of the TD details make for a very sleek, fine shoe, which is another reason I would get a shoe rather than a boot in TD. While TD uses the same leathers as normal EG (AFAIK) they put even more care into polishing them, so that the antiquing effects can be very nice. My second TD order was burnished to a sang de boeuf glossiness, and it involved resuscitating features of a model EG hadn't made in 20 years.

I do think that TD makes for a nicer shoe than Lobb Prestige, which is approximately the same price, and the advantage of MTO is that you are able to order your exact size and width; there are rumors EG can even make very slight adjustments to a stock last to accommodate your foot but I don't know about that or how you would even go about asking. Ultimately, though, I think EG has a problem successfully communicating that its TD line is that much better than its normal line. There are only so many "even more"s one can add.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^^

/threak

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Harry-

Are you working with a retailer or directly with EG? My experience with MTO is that working with a retailer gives a little more leverage, as EG has to maintain a relationship with you and the retailer.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Harry-

Are you working with a retailer or directly with EG? My experience with MTO is that working with a retailer gives a little more leverage, as EG has to maintain a relationship with you and the retailer.

I inquired directly from them so I could price compare. I have done MTO from a retailer (I forget the exact price; I think I paid around 1,350 with trees and toe taps.) The EG quote was 660 pnds (I did specifiy trees) I also don't think it included shipping. So the price is pretty similar. Their quote for TD was 970pnd

I was thinking of the boot so I could try to approximate the look of a vintage ankle button boot. Hence the desire for the sleekest look. That is why I would not do a double or HAF sole.

All in all, I sounds like a regular MTO makes sense.

On a related topic, Bespoke England (banner and link is at top of the page) does MTO G&G and their prices 590-645 pnds is very good. And thet have all the options of last, styles, and leathers.

Check it out.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog
I am going for a sleek dress boot here, blind lacing all the way up, .

what is meant by this?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think TD makes sense if you have a particular design in mind which isn't available in RTW. For a regular ol'shoe, I concur with aportnoy, that TD probably isn't worth the upcharge,

If you do a search, you'll see a pair of tweed + leather boots I had made under the TD program.

distinctive

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harrydog

On a related topic, Bespoke England (banner and link is at top of the page) does MTO G&G and their prices 590-645 pnds is very good. And thet have all the options of last, styles, and leathers.

Check it out.

I think it's more like 750 gbp

mccvi

Reaction score
I have found EG being very willing to make many adjustments and accommodations via the MTO program. So much so that paying the premium for top drawer starts to make much less sense unless a specific request is very important and cannot be achieved otherwise. I highly recommend the MTO program, though found the last pair took 9 months (partly my fault for asking for a try on stage prior to the boot being finalized - but worth it given I had specific sizing requests).

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
I think it's more like 750 gbp

Why do you think that? I am going with the pricing clearly indicated on the website.

I am citing the price less VAT. Most styles are 590.00 to 645.00 as indicated on the website. Some styles are more (boots particularly.) Put your cursor over the picture of the style and the EU and Non-EU price is listed.

Shipping is 20 gbp to the USA.

Macallan

Reaction score
Concerning Bespoke England

MTO started from £765. Most pricing was based on £100 upcharge for MTO and another £100 for shoe-trees, so you could order MTO shoes without shoe-trees.

However, looking at the website now, it is not so clear. For non-EU members, pricing is still £590+vat, which G&G quote themself, so maybe Bespoke England are not providing shoe-trees now. The price for European members, has reduced from £765 to £700, which could mean that Bespoke England are providing difference shoe-trees or not at all.

Nick A

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan
Concerning Bespoke England

MTO started from £765. Most pricing was based on £100 upcharge for MTO and another £100 for shoe-trees, so you could order MTO shoes without shoe-trees.

However, looking at the website now, it is not so clear. For non-EU members, pricing is still £590+vat, which G&G quote themself, so maybe Bespoke England are not providing shoe-trees now. The price for European members, has reduced from £765 to £700, which could mean that Bespoke England are providing difference shoe-trees or not at all.

The MTO part of my website has changed slightly. Previously the trees were included in the price and now customers have the choice to buy or not to buy the trees. I decided to do this because I was receiving numerous emails asking for the shoes but not the trees and it was difficult for people to work it out. Now it's easier to see for new customers but probably not so clear if you remember or refer to the original style of ordering. The prices do still include shipping. It's helpful to know your thoughts. Thank you.
Nick.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads