• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eg stowe / lobb jermyn ii

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by marc37:
lt's a pity we don't get the best. Australians should get first choice of the best of everything. Maybe we have the best Santoni's in the world, the creme de la creme of the Santoni's at 50% al la Vergelio.

Surely a shop wouldn't rip up the original Santoni insole just to put `Vergelio by Santoni'??
It is called rebranding. Something you should know as a "shoo expert".

Many many many stores order shoes/suits/etc. from the manufacturer, and have the store name along with the manufacturers name. I have seen Santonis labelled with "Santoni for (or "per") ............", along with many other brands eg. Mantellassi, Testoni, yes - even John Lobb (in a store in Lucca, Italy).

marc37

Reaction score
Originally posted by marc37:
Quote:
The best Santoni line l have seen is `Santoni for Vergelio'; even better than brown sock Fatte a mano's. The Vergelio is even more solid than the [most solid] fatte a mano. Here is a link to a recent forum discussion that provides alittle chit-chat about Santoni and other high end italian shoes:
I really wonder about you marc37 Â
dozingoff.gif
 - just recently you didn't know much about Santonis..... I had spoken to the Santoni rep in the Netherlands about the various "qualities" of their RTW shoes, indeed it is the tan serrated "fatte a mano"s with the bentivegna lasted shoes being the top, followed by the "regular" Andrea Santoni written is script around the heel.  When I mentioned this "Vergelio" of yours, he had NEVER heard of it as a line, he thought more likely that it was Santoni's ordered by a store.  Unless of course, they order the very very best in Australia, and not here nor Italy Â
wink.gif
l've seen many Magli's and Moreshci's in Oz. The moreshci has always struck me as a better shoe, l have never worn magli though. Then again; after wrecking a pair of Moreshci's after only 6 wears, l will get artioli bespoke instead of moreshci in future. lt is very interesting how maglis are perceived as better [than moreshci] in Europe. There have been quite a few  seasons of ordinary looking moreshci's but this seasons are really nice. We don''t seem to get the really top Maglis in Oz [not like the photo's on the website]. What do other people think? Are Magli better than Moreshci? Anyone ever heard of Hobson or Aldo Brue?

marc37

Reaction score
Surely a shop wouldn't rip up the original Santoni insole just to put `Vergelio by Santoni'??
It is called rebranding. Â Something you should know as a "shoo expert". Many many many stores order shoes/suits/etc. from the manufacturer, and have the store name along with the manufacturers name. Â I have seen Santonis labelled with "Santoni for (or "per") ............", along with many other brands eg. Mantellassi, Testoni, yes - even John Lobb (in a store in Lucca, Italy).[/quote] Yeah, yeah ,yeah. l am aware of rebranding but l have never come across rebranded Santoni's before: that is news to me.
thumbs-up.gif

Looking to improve

Reaction score
biggrin.gif
 No I didn't think so, I was just kidding.. btw. did you check out Erik's on Wednesday?  What did you think?
I did go there. Wow. Didn't buy anything though: budget constraints Â
mad.gif
dozingoff.gif
 - just recently you didn't know much about Santonis..... I had spoken to the Santoni rep in the Netherlands about the various "qualities" of their RTW shoes, indeed it is the tan serrated "fatte a mano"s with the bentivegna lasted shoes being the top, followed by the "regular" Andrea Santoni written is script around the heel.
This is good news... My Santoni's are tan lined with script "Andrea Santoni - fatte a mano", but without the serrated edge. Then again, I saw that exact same shoe at a shoe-store with the orange 'sock' (T4Phage, the store was Albert Nolten across from Erik's). So I'm still confused
dontgetit.gif
. Can the Santoni rep perhaps shed some light? MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 27 June 2004, 10:22)
biggrin.gif
 No I didn't think so, I was just kidding.. btw. did you check out Erik's on Wednesday?  What did you think?
I did go there. Wow. Didn't buy anything though: budget constraints Â
mad.gif
dozingoff.gif
 - just recently you didn't know much about Santonis..... I had spoken to the Santoni rep in the Netherlands about the various "qualities" of their RTW shoes, indeed it is the tan serrated "fatte a mano"s with the bentivegna lasted shoes being the top, followed by the "regular" Andrea Santoni written is script around the heel.
This is good news... My Santoni's are tan lined with script "Andrea Santoni - fatte a mano", but without the serrated edge. Then again, I saw that exact same shoe at a shoe-store with the orange 'sock' (T4Phage, the store was Albert Nolten across from Erik's). So I'm still confused
dontgetit.gif
. Can the Santoni rep perhaps shed some light? MtB
Nice shoes at Erik's ja?
smile.gif
I'm still miffed that I bought my shoe prior to the sale...
confused.gif
I'll check out the orange socked boot at Nolten's this week, most of the orange socked I've seen were blake lasted (you can see the stitching inside the shoe), but there are a few goodyear ones. I think I know what you are talking about, the smooth leather boot. By the way, there was a pair of wingtips (fatte a mano) at Nolten's on sale. What the Santoni rep told me regarding the orange socked Santoni's were that they were the "hip", more fashion forward line of Santoni, albeit with the same quality leathers as the tan socked version (from their "farms" in France), but with less handwork - i.e, you won't be seeing those models with the norwegian welting, or bentivegna.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Nice shoes at Erik's ja? Â
smile.gif
confused.gif
Ja, prachtige schoenen. Sorry to hear that you were too early in buying your shoes, but you can't have it all Â
sad.gif
I'll check out the orange socked boot at Nolten's this week, most of the orange socked I've seen were blake lasted (you can see the stitching inside the shoe), but there are a few goodyear ones. Â I think I know what you are talking about, the smooth leather boot. Â By the way, there was a pair of wingtips (fatte a mano) at Nolten's on sale.
Hmm, the plot thickens, because I can see stitching on the sole of the shoe on the inside. So, (almost) top quality blake lasted Santoni's?? I missed the wingtips. Â
angry.gif
What the Santoni rep told me regarding the orange socked Santoni's were that they were the "hip", more fashion forward line of Santoni, albeit with the same quality leathers as the tan socked version (from their "farms" in France), but with less handwork - i.e, you won't be seeing those models with the norwegian welting, or bentivegna.
Well, my girlfriend thought my new Santoni's 'hip' and that is saying something Â
biggrin.gif
. MtB. P.S. Small reminder:
No hope for a master class in shoe construction is there? Â
blush.gif

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 28 June 2004, 02:20) Nice shoes at Erik's ja? Â
smile.gif
confused.gif

Ja, prachtige schoenen. Sorry to hear that you were too early in buying your shoes, but you can't have it all Â
sad.gif
I'll check out the orange socked boot at Nolten's this week, most of the orange socked I've seen were blake lasted (you can see the stitching inside the shoe), but there are a few goodyear ones. Â I think I know what you are talking about, the smooth leather boot. Â By the way, there was a pair of wingtips (fatte a mano) at Nolten's on sale.
Hmm, the plot thickens, because I can see stitching on the sole of the shoe on the inside. So, (almost) top quality blake lasted Santoni's?? I missed the wingtips. Â
angry.gif
What the Santoni rep told me regarding the orange socked Santoni's were that they were the "hip", more fashion forward line of Santoni, albeit with the same quality leathers as the tan socked version (from their "farms" in France), but with less handwork - i.e, you won't be seeing those models with the norwegian welting, or bentivegna.
Well, my girlfriend thought my new Santoni's 'hip' and that is saying something Â
biggrin.gif
. MtB. P.S. Small reminder:
No hope for a master class in shoe construction is there? Â
blush.gif
Ja heel mooie schoenen I checked out the sales in Paris this weekend (specifically Lobb to check out the fit of the Jerymn 2 and no the Jerymn2 was not on sale
confused.gif
, I'm not so sure I liked the nose though). Didn't buy any shoes though. As for the master class in shoe construction, maybe Tony Gaziano could hold on
smile.gif
, or maybe Bengal-Stripe could have a remedial class
biggrin.gif
. Your Santoni's sound like they may be the same as the Orange socked version, maybe Klijsen's ordered it that way (although that would be odd since they do have several orange socked Santonis).

Looking to improve

Reaction score
As for the master class in shoe construction, maybe Tony Gaziano could hold on Â
smile.gif
, or maybe Bengal-Stripe could have a remedial class Â
biggrin.gif
. Your Santoni's sound like they may be the same as the Orange socked version, maybe Klijsen's ordered it that way (although that would be odd since they do have several orange socked Santonis).
I'd sign up for those classes. And yes, I was beginning to suspect the same thing regarding my Santoni's. But thanks for all the help in determining. MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
...This is good news... My Santoni's are tan lined with script "Andrea Santoni - fatte a mano", but without the serrated edge. Then again, I saw that exact same shoe at a shoe-store with the orange 'sock' (T4Phage, the store was Albert Nolten across from Erik's). So I'm still confused ...
Had a look at them yesterday (left the lab early
biggrin.gif
), they were indeed "blake" lasted, and from RIDER's post in another topic, also "Rapid". Very Very nice shoes. Did you notice the new Santoni's in the window? The long, sleek wingtip? As a note, they still have a few "fatte a mano"s on sale, a monkstrap with hand stitched apron for about Euro 250 and a few wingtips.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Had a look at them yesterday (left the lab early Â
biggrin.gif
), they were indeed "blake" lasted, and from RIDER's post in another topic, also "Rapid". Very Very nice shoes. Did you notice the new Santoni's in the window? The long, sleek wingtip? As a note, they still have a few "fatte a mano"s on sale, a monkstrap with hand stitched apron for about Euro 250 and a few wingtips.
It's always nice to leave early, especially with yesterday's weather
smile.gif
. Thank you for solving most of the mystery, now all that remais is to explain the use of a tan sock rather than an orange sock Â
dontgetit.gif
. Also, thank you for the compliments on the shoes Â
blush.gif
. I missed the wingtips Â
sad.gif
. Probably a good thing too, because I really don't want to spend too much money on clothing for some time. I'm already way over the budget I set for myself... To make matters worse, there's a second Maffeis m-t-m on the way (with some modifications) and I still want to make some purchases later in the year (suit and 3rd Maffeis). But all after returning from my vacation
cool.gif
, so in october at the earliest. I can hardly wait. Sadly, all this means a new pair of Greens will have to wait 'till next year
sad.gif
. MtB. *Edited to correct typing errors

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
...Sadly, all this means a new pair of Greens will have to wait 'till next year .
biggrin.gif
Actually, why don't you call E.Green in London, apparently they will let you know which shoes in your size are on sale, and at about Euro 430, nearly half price. Sorry for trying to break your budget.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As for the master class in shoe construction, maybe Tony Gaziano could hold on, or maybe Bengal-Stripe could have a remedial class
I am working on my magnum opus: "Shoe Construction for Dummies"

Looking to improve

Reaction score
I think I could reallocate some funds for such a book. Â
biggrin.gif
Sorry for trying to break your budget.
Not at all. But I try not to spend money I have yet to earn and/or receive. So no calls to Green this time 'round. Also, I find there is joy in the anticipation of an order. Or is it anguish as I can't decide which model and which colour I'd like: I have great difficulty in making up my mind. MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(T4phage @ 28 June 2004, 02:43) As for the master class in shoe construction, maybe Tony Gaziano could hold on, or maybe Bengal-Stripe could have a remedial class
Will it be available on Amazon ?
biggrin.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads