• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eg stowe / lobb jermyn ii

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Doubt they're handmade as she claims, but they sure look nice. I have a pair of midnight blue Vasses that look like those and I love them.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doubt they're handmade as she claims, but they sure look nice. I have a pair opf midnight blue Vasses that look like those and I love them.
You mean Budapests? Which last?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I guess they're Budapests, but on the Laszlo last...

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Looking to Improve:
By the way T4phage, nice avatar. A self portrait perhaps? How big is the blowup of the picture? O, and how are your Berluti's holding up? I have been on the lookout, but haven't spotted any likely 'candidates' yet...
Yup, that's my good side
biggrin.gif
. Actually I just copied a pic from a website. As for the Berluti's, they are doing just great, really comfortable. I've only worn it on the Fred maybe 2 -3 times and have gotten some complements on it. Have you gone there lately? Check out Eric's; they have a pretty nice sale on 3 to 4 Santoni Fatte a mano models from Euro 299 to 389. Including my double monkstrap, I should have waited..

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Yup, that's my good side Â
biggrin.gif
. Â Actually I just copied a pic from a website. As for the Berluti's, they are doing just great, really comfortable. I've only worn it on the Fred maybe 2 -3 times and have gotten some complements on it. Have you gone there lately? Check out Eric's; they have a pretty nice sale on 3 to 4 Santoni Fatte a mano models from Euro 299 to 389. Including my double monkstrap, I should have waited..
I'm planning on going top the Fred this wednesday (Day off...). So I might drop by Eric's and have a peek. I'm on the lookout for a pair of chukka boots in leather, but inexpensive, as I plan to use them for a jungle-walk later this year. Speaking of Santoni's, I bought a pair of dark brown suede chukka boots at Klijsen's last weekend. Sadly they were not on sale Â
sad.gif
. But perhaps you can clarify something for me. How do I recognise the REALLY good Santoni's? The handmade ones with the tan 'sock'. (Besides by looking at the colour of the lining of course...). By looking at the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription-type on the insole? Â Or are the clues more subtle? MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Looking To Improve:
Speaking of Santoni's, I bought a pair of dark brown suede chukka boots at Klijsen's last weekend. Sadly they were not on sale .

But perhaps you can clarify something for me. How do I recognise the REALLY good Santoni's? The handmade ones with the tan 'sock'. (Besides by looking at the colour of the lining of course...). By looking at the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription-type on the insole? Or are the clues more subtle?

MtB
Klijsen's had a really excellent sale in Jan/Feb on their Santonis, 50% off. Maybe they will have the same this sale period.
Most of the Santonis we have here are the upper two tiers: the best being the tan socked, serrated edged, with the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription going around the heel. The lower level is the one with similar inscriptions but in an orange sock. These ones are usually Blake or Goodyear lasted, while the former is usually Norwegian or Bentivegna. At Eric's they have the top of the line on sale (on the racks). I saw a antiqued dark brown "Dover" type split toe, my light tan double monk with a pseudo split toe, and a medium brown aproned derby. They also had several cheaper Ferragamos, etc.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The ones they had were:
hm_6128_lg.gif
for Euro 389
hm_5425_lg.gif
Similar shoe but Norwegian with antiquing for Euro 389, plus another which looks the same sans split toe for Euro 299

Looking to improve

Reaction score
Klijsen's had a really excellent sale in Jan/Feb on their Santonis, 50% off. Â Maybe they will have the same this sale period. Most of the Santonis we have here are the upper two tiers: the best being the tan socked, serrated edged, with the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription going around the heel. Â The lower level is the one with similar inscriptions but in an orange sock. Â These ones are usually Blake or Goodyear lasted, while the former is usually Norwegian or Bentivegna.
I knew I should have waited for the sale... The Santoni boots I bought have a natural coloured lining, with the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription going around the heel, but I can't find any serrated edge. I'm not sure how they are lasted. Would the written numbers from the inside be of any help for you to be able to tell the type? (I'll also have another real close look at the box
lookaround.gif
to see if I can find anything helpful there). I'm also unable to find the exact model and suede leather combination on Santoni's website. The closest resemblance I can find there are these from their handmade collection, but mine are in dark brown suede. MtB

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Santoni boots I bought have a natural coloured lining, with the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription going around the heel, but I can't find any serrated edge. I'm not sure how they are lasted. Would the written numbers from the inside be of any help for you to be able to tell the type? (I'll also have another real close look at the box to see if I can find anything helpful there).

I'm also unable to find the exact model and suede leather combination on Santoni's website. The closest resemblance I can find there are these from their handmade collection, but mine are in dark brown suede.
What I meant was that the serrations are on the part of the sock where the "Andrea Santoni etc." is written, i.e on the edge. As for markings on the box, I'm as clueless as you. Most likely your shoes are norwegian construction, as is most of the top tier Santonis we get here (except for a few Bentivegna - which have an exterior welt on the side of the upper which extends down to the sole in an L shape).

The Santonis you provided a link to is available at Eric's but it isn't on sale. If you are going Jungle walking, I wouldn't go with Santonis, rather a more technical boot with gore-tex for waterproofness and breathability, plus some ankle support.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
What I meant was that the serrations are on the part of the sock where the "Andrea Santoni etc." is written, i.e on the edge. Â As for markings on the box, I'm as clueless as you. Most likely your shoes are norwegian construction, as is most of the top tier Santonis we get here (except for a few Bentivegna - which have an exterior welt on the side of the upper which extends down to the sole in an L shape).
I'll have closer look at possible serrations although I think there aren't any. Maybe someone at the workshop just grabbed the wrong kind of insole. (But... there was another pair in a lighter suede with the same insole at Klijsen's.) Â As for the welt, I believe my shoes are indeed not Bentivegna (no L-shaped exterior welt). No hope for a master class in shoe construction is there?
blush.gif
Even with all your patient explanations and descriptions I still know I have a LOT to learn.
The Santonis you provided a link to is available at Eric's but it isn't on sale. Â If you are going Jungle walking, I wouldn't go with Santonis, rather a more technical boot with gore-tex for waterproofness and breathability, plus some ankle support.
I wouldn't dream of going Jungle walking with a pair of Santoni's, especially in suede (perish the thought Â
sadlike.gif
). I was thinking about a pair of 'inexpensive' chukka boots by Van Bommel or Van Lier. I expect the walks to be short ones and NOT through the densest of jungle, so the chukka's might provide just enough protection and support and I can use them on a regular basis when I've returned ("Perfectly acceptable for saturday chores"
confused.gif
). Combining the useful with the nice, so to speak Â
smile.gif
. MtB

Brian SD

Reaction score
the stowes made me gasp in amazement. I will forever love / lust those shoes.

marc37

Reaction score
But perhaps you can clarify something for me. How do I recognise the REALLY good Santoni's? The handmade ones with the tan 'sock'. (Besides by looking at the colour of the lining of course...). By looking at the "Andrea Santoni - Fatte a mano" inscription-type on the insole? Â Or are the clues more subtle? MtB
l am alittle late to the party [but l always like to make a late grand entrance]. Love the E.G stowe; totally gorgeous shoes. Am a big fan a navy blue leather shoes in croc. Moreshchi and Artioli do stunning shoes in dark green and blue croc. They look alot better than you may think. A be-spoke artioli navy croc loafer in on my list for future orders. The best Santoni line l have seen is `Santoni for Vergelio'; even better than brown sock Fatte a mano's. The Vergelio is even more solid than the [most solid] fatte a mano. Here is a link to a recent forum discussion that provides alittle chit-chat about Santoni and other high end italian shoes: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/F...?TOPIC_ID=2402

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't dream of going Jungle walking with a pair of Santoni's, especially in suede (perish the thought ). I was thinking about a pair of 'inexpensive' chukka boots by Van Bommel or Van Lier. I expect the walks to be short ones and NOT through the densest of jungle, so the chukka's might provide just enough protection and support and I can use them on a regular basis when I've returned ("Perfectly acceptable for saturday chores" ). Combining the useful with the nice, so to speak .
biggrin.gif
No I didn't think so, I was just kidding.. btw. did you check out Erik's on Wednesday? What did you think? Originally posted by marc37:
The best Santoni line l have seen is `Santoni for Vergelio'; even better than brown sock Fatte a mano's. The Vergelio is even more solid than the [most solid] fatte a mano. Here is a link to a recent forum discussion that provides alittle chit-chat about Santoni and other high end italian shoes:
I really wonder about you marc37
dozingoff.gif
- just recently you didn't know much about Santonis..... I had spoken to the Santoni rep in the Netherlands about the various "qualities" of their RTW shoes, indeed it is the tan serrated "fatte a mano"s with the bentivegna lasted shoes being the top, followed by the "regular" Andrea Santoni written is script around the heel. When I mentioned this "Vergelio" of yours, he had NEVER heard of it as a line, he thought more likely that it was Santoni's ordered by a store. Unless of course, they order the very very best in Australia, and not here nor Italy
wink.gif

marc37

Reaction score
No, the wording in the [sock of the] shoo was `Santoni by Vergelio'. Â The bloke brings out lots of italian shoos from his boutique in Milan. lt's a pity we don't get the best. Australians should get first choice of the best of everything.
tounge.gif
Maybe we have the best Santoni's in the world, the creme de la creme of the Santoni's at 50% al la Vergelio.
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
Â
biggrin.gif
Surely a shop wouldn't rip up the original Santoni insole just to put `Vergelio by Santoni'??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads