• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eg stock shoes,why no 888?

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems reading most posts that everyone's favourite EG last is 888,so how come when you call about their current selection of stock shoes it is made up almost exclusively of 202,606 and 82?
Could it be that they don't know their market,or is it so you have to pay the premium to get an 888 last in the style you want MTO?
Or,am I talking rubbish and everyone loves the 606,202 and 82?

Tibo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
It seems reading most posts that everyone's favourite EG last is 888,so how come when you call about their current selection of stock shoes it is made up almost exclusively of 202,606 and 82?
Could it be that they don't know their market,or is it so you have to pay the premium to get an 888 last in the style you want MTO?
Or,am I talking rubbish and everyone loves the 606,202 and 82?

You're quite right about this forum's collective preference which tends to be the 888, but I suppose that a non neglectable part of EG's customer base is more traditional and as such prefers the other lasts

Oh, and for what it's worth, I prefer the 82.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head, they stock the Warwick and Inverness in 888. I'm sure there are a couple others. Most of the people in the market for EGs are looking for conservative shoes, and in England, black ones. These people, I believe, are not shoe freak-y enough to special order and wait three plus months for shoes. Shoe freaks who find their antiquing in non-black shoes and edgier lasts beautiful can wait, and generally want something special enough as not to be satisfied by stock shoes in a specific configuration.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the last 4 months I have recieved 3 lists of stock shoes in my size(7E)and on only one occasion has there been an 888.That was a Ladbroke in Acorn.
Maybe its just my size and they have more variety in the bigger sizes?
confused.gif

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where does the stock list come from?

The EG shop, like other retailers, specifies which design they want on which last. Quite a few of the samples featured in the catalogue are made on the 888. But if Raymond Fox (manger of the shop) feels he could sell more, if a particular model was on a different last, then he will place his order accordingly.

The Jermyn Street shop is a shop, not a showroom.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean the shop stock list.When I fancy a new pair I email the shop to see what they have in stock so I dont have to pay 20% more for MTO.

Your post points to the fact mentioned in an earlier post that although most SF'ers prefer the 888 obviously the 606,202 and 82 must sell better in the shop.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by benecios
I mean the shop stock list.When I fancy a new pair I email the shop to see what they have in stock so I dont have to pay 20% more for MTO.

Your post points to the fact mentioned in an earlier post that although most SF'ers prefer the 888 obviously the 606,202 and 82 must sell better in the shop.

I'm not sure your premise is correct. The 888 is a harder fit for many participants. I -- for one -- prefer the 606. So I have taken the liberty to start a poll on this very topic. You can now find it as a separate discussion on this Forum.

benecios

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sounds reasonable enough,as I said I didnt know the reason but it seems they may be a few factors involved and this one hadn't crossed my mind.Hence the reason for the post.The knowledge on this forum is second to none.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads