1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

EG restoration, polish flaking around creases

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fabro, May 25, 2006.

1. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

I'm restoring a wonderful vintage pair of Edward Greens I picked up on eBay. 202 last, wingtip oxford in a mid-brown with great natural patina. The leather was fairly dry though, and they had no trees (and probably hadn't had any for a while). All of the punching holes were pretty gummed up.

I gave them a good cleaning with AE cleaner/conditioner, cleaned out all the holes, went over them with Saphir medium brown wax polish (I didn't have any cream), and replaced the laces.

They turned out amazing. I was all ready to post pictures here, but when I put them on I immediately got quite a bit of flaking around all of the creases, which appeared like a fine white powder. Unfortunately, this really emphasizes the creasing.

Any advice on how best to deal with this?

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's probably the built-up of old, neutral wax polish. Use a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol (or vodka) and wipe over the creases. That should do the trick and take off the excessive wax.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

It's probably the built-up of old, neutral wax polish. Use a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol (or vodka) and wipe over the creases. That should do the trick and take off the excessive wax.

Vodka? I like the sound of that.

4. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vodka? I like the sound of that.
    It's supposed to go onto the shoes!!!

5. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

It's supposed to go onto the shoes!!!

[​IMG]

Fine, you got me there. That is also the reason I like recipes that involve wine, gives me an excuse to finish off the remainder of the bottle to minimise waste [​IMG]

6. Fabro

Fabro Senior member

This is my kind of problem: one where the solution is to sit down and have a drink--or at least, share one with my shoes.

Thanks for the advice.