• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG MTM Shoes versus JL and Vass

Mecnun

Reaction score
EG has a MTM programme (seperate from Bespoke) in London where they let the customer choose the pattern, color and style of a shoe. Is this better than a John Lobb Prestige Line? I really lik ethe bevelled waite of the JL Prestige Line shoes, which no EG shoe seems to have. How does a Vass Bespoke shoe compare to JL or EG shoes - in terms of style, leather quality, durability. They seem to be priced very similar.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I am one who prefers Edward Green to John Lobb Paris, I wouldn't say that "better" is the best description though it is certainly more flexible. The range of options -- in terms of style, last, leather, colour, finish, detail, and adjustments to the fit -- is very large and it is possible to have the waist beveled. I should note that the more recent EG models have a more beveled waist and the word is that Edward Green will be re-introducing its own top-end line this autumn.

I am afraid I have no experience with Vass bespoke. though I have colleagues who speak very highly of Vass' work.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give a picture of the beveled waist EG is able to achieve through the special order program? Thanks

medwards - I heard the same. And that the top-end line of EG is supposedly going to be even more money than Lobb's prestige line...

Mecnun

Reaction score
JL Paris shoes start at £685 in London.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Can anyone give a picture of the beveled waist EG is able to achieve through the special order program? Thanks

medwards - I heard the same. And that the top-end line of EG is supposedly going to be even more money than Lobb's prestige line...

zjpj83 and Medwards: Is the new top-end EG line going to be RTW? And will it supplant or augment their current line of RTW and Special-Order? Medwards, you'd be interested to know that I pressed Susie Jones vis-a-vis waist beveling and got the impression that it would be difficult to accommodate in a standard special-order run. I forget whether she said that it could be done--at much greater expense--or that it couldn't. It sounds, from what you've said, that even the regular line will henceforth have a somewhat more beveled waist. To me that would really tip the scales strongly to EG, as I think that in every other way, they're better value for money. For me the biggest difference between EG and JLobb Paris is the phenomenal antiqued finishes on the EGs. I don't know whether Lobb can do the same if its requested, but my one pair of JLobb Prestige Line shoes--Westminsters--have no antiquing whatsoever.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here's how I understand this issue...

EG current offerings: As part of the special order (MTM) program you can request a beveled waist shoe. I did so on my recent orders of Kingsway and Falkirk. There was no upcharge for the request, so we'll see what I get.

EG future offerings: In the fall, EG will relaunch its "Top Drawer" program. This line will feature "hand" beveled waists as well as additional hand finishing and detialing that is done by mchine on current EG shoes. Think of "Top Drawer" as bridge beween what Tony G. did with bespoke and the standard EG offerings. The "Top Drawer" line will be priced at ther same level as JL's Prestiege line, anywhere from US$1250-US$1450.

I am quite anxious to see what my beveled waist shoes look like from the recent trunk show and especially interested in seeing the "Top Drawer" range. Also, there are several new models that EG will introducing this fall.

mussel

Reaction score
Andrew, do you know which US retailers will carry the EG "Top Drawer"? Saks, Jay Kos, the Mansion, Richards/Mitchells/Marshs?

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mussel
Andrew, do you know which US retailers will carry the EG "Top Drawer"? Saks, Jay Kos, the Mansion, Richards/Mitchells/Marshs?

Good question. I would guess that anyone who carries EG RTW could get them. I would bet on Saks and Kos carrying them in NYC.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Sounds like we have some awesome "This Week's Shoe Damage" threads to look forward to!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Sounds like we have some awesome "This Week's Shoe Damage" threads to look forward to!

Got one brewing as we speak PB. Hopefully by the end of this week it'll be ready to go.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads