• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

EG Loafer last question

puffdaddy

Reaction score
I have searched the fora which seem to conclude something different than where I was leaning.

I have owned about 15 pairs of EG shoes in my life and generally think that the 606 in a UK10.5 E ofers the best fit. However, to ensure a decent lacing closure, I can take oxfords on, say, the 82 in an 11E. Derbies in an 11E would be way too generous.

The only loafers I own are the Belgravia on the 184 in fox suede and the Sloane on the 65 in Burnt Pine.

The 184 fits OK, but candidly, I think it's a touch short although seemingly generous in the heel.

I tried on the Sloane 65 in an 11E at a local shop (because they had it on sale) and thought it was quite snug at the strap. I bought it thinking it would loosen and although it did slightly, I took to to a cobbler for stretching. The fit is OK, but it is still pretty snug and I perceive the length to actually be no different than the 184, despite being a half-size larger.

I prefer the heel fit of the 65 and the aesthetics and was thinking about getting a MTO (probably the Tewkesbury). I was think to myself that maybe I should get a UK11.5E on the 65 last.

Does this sound nuts?

Many thanks for your help.

well-kept

Reaction score
Loafers, whether from EG or Alden or - I'm guessing - other makers, are often made narrow in the toe and wide at the heel. Why? I mean, does ANYBODY have feet this shape? EG's 202 qnd 606 fit me very well, even going up or down a half size. But the 184 is perverse, as is Alden's Van last. If you find a formula, please let the rest of us know.

AE used to offer loafers in their old number 4, a perfect last, generous across the ball and tight enough at the heel. So of course they discontinued the whole thing.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 275 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40