• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG in Black Suede - Holborn or Farringdon

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm considering ordering a pair of Edward Greens in Black Suede. I like the idea of a 2 -3 eyelet derby. It would most likely be the 888 last, but possibly the 202 in C width. I would wear this with gray suits and trousers and occasionally for black tie events. I know the latter is not 100% proper, but I like having options.

I'm curious what your preference is between the two in Black Suede:

Holborn - 2 eyelet derby with a more traditional placement of stitching that meets the welt. I would wear these with standard laces and not the tassels.

EG_Holborn.jpg

Farringdon - 3 eyelet derby with a more modern sweeping placement of stitching that meets the welt.

EG_Farringdon.jpg

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
The second is more visually striking.

Agree. The sharper last with the more pronounced derby sides (not sure what the technical term is) makes for a more eye catching look. However, I'm not sure if it would translate to a suede shoe as well.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, you and I must be drinking the same stuff because I have been thinking about black suede shoes for the past month or so. As to your question I prefer the second, but perhaps with the Holborn's tasseled laces.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I have been leaning a bit towards the Farringdon (this week). I think it would still work well for a suede as it does here for the G&G Derwent. Black Suede is a bit of a different beast, but it seems doable.

GG_Derwent.jpg

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kuro - If you've recently been drinking lots of old Barolo and Barbaresco then we're definitely on the same page! :^)

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out of the three options, the G&G Derwents look the most appealing to me. The Faringdon second, probably. The Holborns don't have quite the same impact. But I'm not a big fan of either 2 or 3 eyelet derbies in general, so my judgement may be a bit skewed!

TC11201

Reaction score
David - another vote for the Farringdon. That's a striking shoe.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black suede...
frown.gif

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Black suede...
frown.gif

It's not any crazier than Navy Calf. :^)

Thanks for the input guys!

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slewfoot
It's not any crazier than Navy Calf. :^)

Thanks for the input guys!

I'm wearing me navy calf monks today

Didn't say it was crazy - just never saw black suede shoes that I found appealing.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't say it was crazy - just never saw black suede shoes that I found appealing.

I hear you. Just messing around. I think you do have to be pretty picky when it comes to something so niche. I haven't seen these exact shoes either, but I'm very much a texture kind of guy when it comes to clothes so I think I'd actually use them if I had them.

Glad you like the Navy monks! I'll have to see a Navy shoe in person one of these days.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ici...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads