• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG Fitting

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I called Maus & Hoffman in Naples, FL to see if they carry EG's and they don't. But, they called the Ft. Lauderdale store and they're sending over some shoes (they only have loafers) so I can try them on. I'm going to take a catalogue with me so I can pick out what I want and place an order through them in a month or so.

So, what do I need to know about the fit of EG loafers to get a good fit for lace-ups? Is the sizing very consistent between loafers and lace-ups? I'm probably only going to be interested in oxfords and monks on the 888 or 82 lasts, can I probably get a pretty good idea of fit on those lasts from trying on their loafers? With EGs do I want them to be pretty snug? If so, how snug? So snug that they're slightly uncomfortable but not painful? Please advise how you would go about dealing with determining your size given my situation.

Thanks, HS.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never worn an EG loafer, so I don't know how the loafer lasts fit compared to the 888 and 82. I will tell you that I wouldn't spend the money on pair of EGs without trying them on first.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
I've never worn an EG loafer, so I don't know how the loafer lasts fit compared to the 888 and 82. I will tell you that I wouldn't spend the money on pair of EGs without trying them on first.

Yeah, that's why I've got a bit of a problem. The shoe I want is going to have to be MTO, and while I've had retailers willing to ship me a shoe to try it on, it is under the condition that I will buy that shoe if it fits, which is completely understandable. What I need to find is a retailer who will let me try on a sample in the last that I would order and then I'll place my order for the MTO shoe through them. Damn this fashion forward city for not having the good sense to support expensive English shoes.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Beverly Hills Polo store should carry the Mackay (on the 888 last) and the Pierson (on the 82 last).

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
The Beverly Hills Polo store should carry the Mackay (on the 888 last) and the Pierson (on the 82 last).

Which shoe is the Pierson?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember M&H carrying branded EGs per se, although I may be mistaken. The shoes I remember from when I lived in Palm Beach were "Edward Green for Maus & Hoffman," if that makes a difference. I mention it because EG has Brioni and EG and other manufacturs make stuff to its specs, and the deographic is decidedly 75 year old, overweight retired rich investment banker. So some of the styles were unappealing, at least in their Sarasota and Palm Beach stores.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. Talking to the guy over the phone it didn't sound like they'd have anything stock I'd be interested in. But this is a way for me to develop a relationship with a retailer who can acquire the shoes for me since nobody in LA can.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
Thanks for the heads up. Talking to the guy over the phone it didn't sound like they'd have anything stock I'd be interested in. But this is a way for me to develop a relationship with a retailer who can acquire the shoes for me since nobody in LA can.

I recall suggesting the Beverly Hills RL store in a previous thread. They carry the Mackay oxford, the Camden monkstrap, and several other models. Are you no longer in Pasadena? Is there a RL flagship store in or near Palm Beach?

well-kept

Reaction score
In my experience with EGs, the loafers do fit quite differently from the oxfords and I think they run a bit small. I have a pair of Piccadillys on the 184 last - EG for Paul Stuart, from some years ago. They're marked 11c, which I assume is meant as the American 11c, made for a US retailer. They fit well in the heel and across the instep but are rather tapered in the toe. I generally wear an American 11 without any toe discomfort. But the overall length of the EGs is similar to an A-E size 10. My most comfortable EGs are a pair of oxfords on the 202 last, size 11.5 E/12E. Sizing from oxford to slip on seems inconsistent, so yes, I strongly suggest trying them before ordering.

pkincy

Reaction score
Hang loose for a month and order from EG during the sale. Than if they don't fit you can sell them for about what you paid.

Perry

PS I have ordered the MacKay from Polo.com in my size; or what I think my size is. My polo store only carries the C&J shoes so I had to do that to get ready for the EG sale.

Obviously, i will keep the MacKay if it fits and I hope it does.

Perry

Sator Sartoris

Reaction score
Do EGs come in wide? I wear an American EEE. Crockett and Jones said don't bother with EG, but I hear they carry more widths than CJ.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Have you tried LeatherSoul in Hawaii? I would think they would be easier to deal with that M&H, and they actually know something about shoes (and carry EG).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads