• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG Edwardian Polishing Frustration

rrosals

Reaction score
I have a pair of EG shoes in Edwardian Antique that every time I polish them they seem to darken and look more like Chestnut in color. I have used various methods as described in previous threads. Is this color change common? Is it actually a desired look for them to darken? Thank you

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rrosals
I have a pair of EG shoes in Edwardian Antique that every time I polish them they seem to darken and look more like Chestnut in color. I have used various methods as described in previous threads. Is this color change common? Is it actually a desired look for them to darken? Thank you

What color polish are you using? I use Kiwi tan and have never had a problem with darkening.

metkirk

Reaction score
The same thing happens to my CJ Westbourne, I was using Kiwi neutral, didn't help at all.

rrosals

Reaction score
I have been using Saphir Medaille D'Or cream in light brown and also using Medaille D’Or Renoveteur before applying the polish.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using Saphir Medaille D'Or cream in light brown and also using Medaille D'Or Renoveteur before applying the polish.

Usually a darkening should not happen. But with using Medaille D'Or Renoveteur the finish is removed and with new cream is darkening (it always get darker and not lighter).

So IMO to keep them the way they are: don't use the Medaille D'Or Renoveteur (often).

rrosals

Reaction score
That must be it. Thank you for the advice Golf_Nerd. I will lay off the Renoveteur.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
The same thing happens to my CJ Westbourne, I was using Kiwi neutral, didn't help at all.

Actually, neutral polish usually has a darkening effect on light leathers if used frequently. In order to avoid it you should use a cream or wax of the same color or just slightly lighter than the shade of the leather.

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to steal the thread or anything but I was just wondering what polish I should use for dark oak. Thanks!

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Neutral" cream can leave a hideous looking build-up over time. Dark oak calf while certainly beautiful is gonna be a PIA to care for. For that very reason I passed up a pair of Bontonis with tank-like construction and sick asking price. Because how the hell was I going to maintain a skin dyed to imitate autumn leaf ?
devil.gif

metkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
"Neutral" cream can leave a hideous looking build-up over time.
Dark oak calf while certainly beautiful is gonna be a PIA to care for.
For that very reason I passed up a pair of Bontonis with tank-like construction and sick asking price.
Because how the hell was I going to maintain a skin dyed to imitate autumn leaf ?
devil.gif

I didn't know. Now I have to buy new polish again
plain.gif
What do you suggest for CJ Westbourne in Chestnut? Thanks.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that what the shoos look like ?
If so, then find your nearest Allen Edmonds (with Westbournes on) outlet and go thru their selection of creams.
They're the place for brownish shades.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by metkirk
I didn't know. Now I have to buy new polish again
plain.gif
What do you suggest for CJ Westbourne in Chestnut? Thanks.

Kiwi mid tan

ziggyosk

Reaction score
T&A in NYC told me to use dark brown on the chestnut colored C&J shoes. I have Belgraves in Chestnut.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That must be it. Thank you for the advice Golf_Nerd. I will lay off the Renoveteur.

You probably shouldn't be using light brown either. Switch to tan. That appears the closest color to the Edwardian. Brown is brown, and it will certainly darken.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I use Kiwi Tan and I have never had a problem.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads