• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

EG Edwardian Polishing Frustration

rrosals

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2007
Messages
217
Reaction score
2
I have a pair of EG shoes in Edwardian Antique that every time I polish them they seem to darken and look more like Chestnut in color. I have used various methods as described in previous threads. Is this color change common? Is it actually a desired look for them to darken? Thank you
 

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by rrosals
I have a pair of EG shoes in Edwardian Antique that every time I polish them they seem to darken and look more like Chestnut in color. I have used various methods as described in previous threads. Is this color change common? Is it actually a desired look for them to darken? Thank you

What color polish are you using? I use Kiwi tan and have never had a problem with darkening.
 

metkirk

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
589
Reaction score
0
The same thing happens to my CJ Westbourne, I was using Kiwi neutral, didn't help at all.
 

rrosals

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2007
Messages
217
Reaction score
2
I have been using Saphir Medaille D'Or cream in light brown and also using Medaille D’Or Renoveteur before applying the polish.
 

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by rrosals
I have been using Saphir Medaille D'Or cream in light brown and also using Medaille D'Or Renoveteur before applying the polish.

Usually a darkening should not happen. But with using Medaille D'Or Renoveteur the finish is removed and with new cream is darkening (it always get darker and not lighter).

So IMO to keep them the way they are: don't use the Medaille D'Or Renoveteur (often).
 

rrosals

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2007
Messages
217
Reaction score
2
That must be it. Thank you for the advice Golf_Nerd. I will lay off the Renoveteur.
 

ccffm1

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
452
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by metkirk
The same thing happens to my CJ Westbourne, I was using Kiwi neutral, didn't help at all.

Actually, neutral polish usually has a darkening effect on light leathers if used frequently. In order to avoid it you should use a cream or wax of the same color or just slightly lighter than the shade of the leather.
 

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
2,929
Reaction score
1
"Neutral" cream can leave a hideous looking build-up over time. Dark oak calf while certainly beautiful is gonna be a PIA to care for. For that very reason I passed up a pair of Bontonis with tank-like construction and sick asking price. Because how the hell was I going to maintain a skin dyed to imitate autumn leaf ?
 

metkirk

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2006
Messages
589
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Christofuh
"Neutral" cream can leave a hideous looking build-up over time.
Dark oak calf while certainly beautiful is gonna be a PIA to care for.
For that very reason I passed up a pair of Bontonis with tank-like construction and sick asking price.
Because how the hell was I going to maintain a skin dyed to imitate autumn leaf ?


I didn't know. Now I have to buy new polish again
What do you suggest for CJ Westbourne in Chestnut? Thanks.
 

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
2,929
Reaction score
1
Is that what the shoos look like ?
If so, then find your nearest Allen Edmonds (with Westbournes on) outlet and go thru their selection of creams.
They're the place for brownish shades.


 

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2002
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by metkirk
I didn't know. Now I have to buy new polish again
What do you suggest for CJ Westbourne in Chestnut? Thanks.


Kiwi mid tan
 

ziggyosk

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
352
Reaction score
1
T&A in NYC told me to use dark brown on the chestnut colored C&J shoes. I have Belgraves in Chestnut.
 

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2006
Messages
8,785
Reaction score
474
Originally Posted by rrosals
That must be it. Thank you for the advice Golf_Nerd. I will lay off the Renoveteur.

You probably shouldn't be using light brown either. Switch to tan. That appears the closest color to the Edwardian. Brown is brown, and it will certainly darken.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,855
I use Kiwi Tan and I have never had a problem.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.0%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 71 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 49 5.8%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.6%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.0%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 8 1.0%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 54 6.4%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,233
Messages
9,230,806
Members
193,762
Latest member
bogyo
Top