• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG Dover in last 888 or 82

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It would look good on either 888 or 82. Do you prefer round-toe or square? If you want a single sole, I'd go with Ecton rather than Dover since the three eyelets on Ecton make it a sleeker shoe more appropriate for a single sole than the five-eyelet Dover.

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
I just got a pair on the 82. They are purty.
inlove.gif

I think you should get it on the last that fits you best. All the EG lasts are very attractive IMO.

As for soles, single leather might be better given the sleekness of the lasts you are considering. But basically only SF members would think about or notice that kind of thing.

PB

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I just got a pair on the 82. They are purty.
inlove.gif

I think you should get it on the last that fits you best. All the EG lasts are very attractive IMO.

As for soles, single leather might be better given the sleekness of the lasts you are considering. But basically only SF members would think about or notice that kind of thing.

PB

PB,

Could you post some scans?

Patrick Bateman

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not very good with cameras. It looks like this one from aportnoy's collection:

egdover82edwardianps3.jpg

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go to the sticky for the shoe pictorial index at the top of this page. There are 12-15 photos of different Dovers on various lasts, including the 82. Look to the similar Ecton photos for the 888 last photos.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered the 606 last? To my mind (and I may be alone in this), the Dover is not inherently a sleek shoe (no Norwegian-toe blucher is IMO), and the 888 last in particular might take it a little too far in that direction, producing a slightly odd-looking shoe that begins to lose the inherent appearance of a grand country shoe. I have the Ashby (the monkstrap analog of the Dover) on the 888 last, and have often thought that it would have looked a little better on the 606. What happens with these Norwegian-toe shoes when they're made on the 888 last is that the part of the toe ahead of the apron is extended a little too far, in my opinion.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like the Dover on chisel-toed lasts, and think it looks best of all on the 606.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've got Dover on 202, 888, 82, 55 and 606. I can try to post a comparison shot for you, if it would help?

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I've got Dover on 202, 888, 82, 55 and 606. I can try to post a comparison shot for you, if it would help?

i think this would be a great help! if not for Kolecho then for us all
lol8[1].gif

josepidal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aportnoy: Could you do a comparison of color and leather per last as well? I'll help you break into the store and lay them out on the carpet to make it quicker.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roger
Have you considered the 606 last? To my mind (and I may be alone in this), the Dover is not inherently a sleek shoe (no Norwegian-toe blucher is IMO), and the 888 last in particular might take it a little too far in that direction, producing a slightly odd-looking shoe that begins to lose the inherent appearance of a grand country shoe. I have the Ashby (the monkstrap analog of the Dover) on the 888 last, and have often thought that it would have looked a little better on the 606. What happens with these Norwegian-toe shoes when they're made on the 888 last is that the part of the toe ahead of the apron is extended a little too far, in my opinion.

You are not alone!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads