• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EG casuals -- Bamford vs. Wigmore

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a pair of EG casuals, and am debating between the Bamford and Wigmore models. How would you describe each in terms of attrractiveness, usefulness and occasion appropriateness, or any other thought that comes to mind.

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LARon, it would help immensely--and get you many more responses--if you were to post pictures of the two shoes in question, instead of relying on forumers to remember the shoes or take the time to look them up in some catalog.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bamford
Bamford.jpg

Wigmore:
wigmorechestnutvz8.jpg

I'd pick Bamford. Wholecut, simple and elegant.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wigmore, I don't like the low vamp on the Bamford

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sod it! would buy both!
lol8[1].gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bamford in antique olive...
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

pejsek

Reaction score
They're really different shoes. In its essence the Bamford is a modern shoe (as von Rothbart so well puts it: "Wholecut, simple, and elegant"; but where are the wholecuts of yesteryear?), while the Wigmore is a classic Edwardian design having its genesis, I believe, with the old bespoke maker Peal. So it really depends on which sort of approach suits you. They're both gorgeous. I think aportnoy is definitely on to s.thing with his suggestion of antique olive--both of these shoes would really shine with one of the more dramatic EG finishes. The Wigmore has traditionally been done up on a round-toe last, but I think it would look smashing on s.thing a little more square.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent responses, all. Thanks a lot; just what I'd hoped for.

I'm leaning toward the Bamford, but am curious about this notion of olive antiquing? Would that really make it more attractive?

Is olive even a good color for a shoe? What sort of look does olive convey -- more or less dressy/casual?

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
Excellent responses, all. Thanks a lot; just what I'd hoped for.

I'm leaning toward the Bamford, but am curious about this notion of olive antiquing? Would that really make it more attractive?

Is olive even a good color for a shoe? What sort of look does olive convey -- more or less dressy/casual?

EG's antique olive looks almost black. Its a very unique and elegant color. Olive has a complexity and depth that black does not have. When I first saw it, I didn't know it was olive. I have not seen the Bamford in this color, but I think it would be a very cool look. Actually, I plan to get the Bamford without the medallion at the next trunk show.
fing02[1].gif

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between Bamford and Sussex?

Sussex
sussexedwardianmh1.jpg

eg_sussex.jpg

EdwardGreenRLPLSussex1.jpg

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How ironic you should ask, I posed that very question yesterday to one of the EG salesmen at Saks NYC. He said he'd check into it and get back to me. However, I seem to recall someone suggesting in one of the threads that Bamford is just a new name for the Sussex.

Will report back when I get confirmation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads