• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

EG casuals -- Bamford vs. Wigmore

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a pair of EG casuals, and am debating between the Bamford and Wigmore models. How would you describe each in terms of attrractiveness, usefulness and occasion appropriateness, or any other thought that comes to mind.

Looking forward to your comments. Thanks.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LARon, it would help immensely--and get you many more responses--if you were to post pictures of the two shoes in question, instead of relying on forumers to remember the shoes or take the time to look them up in some catalog.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bamford

Wigmore:

I'd pick Bamford. Wholecut, simple and elegant.

texas_jack

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
vote for wigmore. the others look too houseshoe-y. Wigmore has just enough detail to make them interesting plus they would work with slacks and jeans. I couldn't see the bamford with jeans.

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wigmore, I don't like the low vamp on the Bamford

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
sod it! would buy both!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bamford in antique olive...

pejsek

Reaction score
They're really different shoes. In its essence the Bamford is a modern shoe (as von Rothbart so well puts it: "Wholecut, simple, and elegant"; but where are the wholecuts of yesteryear?), while the Wigmore is a classic Edwardian design having its genesis, I believe, with the old bespoke maker Peal. So it really depends on which sort of approach suits you. They're both gorgeous. I think aportnoy is definitely on to s.thing with his suggestion of antique olive--both of these shoes would really shine with one of the more dramatic EG finishes. The Wigmore has traditionally been done up on a round-toe last, but I think it would look smashing on s.thing a little more square.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent responses, all. Thanks a lot; just what I'd hoped for.

I'm leaning toward the Bamford, but am curious about this notion of olive antiquing? Would that really make it more attractive?

Is olive even a good color for a shoe? What sort of look does olive convey -- more or less dressy/casual?

sammy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LARon
Excellent responses, all. Thanks a lot; just what I'd hoped for.

I'm leaning toward the Bamford, but am curious about this notion of olive antiquing? Would that really make it more attractive?

Is olive even a good color for a shoe? What sort of look does olive convey -- more or less dressy/casual?

EG's antique olive looks almost black. Its a very unique and elegant color. Olive has a complexity and depth that black does not have. When I first saw it, I didn't know it was olive. I have not seen the Bamford in this color, but I think it would be a very cool look. Actually, I plan to get the Bamford without the medallion at the next trunk show.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the difference between Bamford and Sussex?

Sussex

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How ironic you should ask, I posed that very question yesterday to one of the EG salesmen at Saks NYC. He said he'd check into it and get back to me. However, I seem to recall someone suggesting in one of the threads that Bamford is just a new name for the Sussex.

Will report back when I get confirmation.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40