Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

EG advise against Topy rubber soles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Oct 31, 2006.

1. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Funny, Tony G. recommends a thin rubber covering over part of a leather sole, even on bespoke shoes, and does not believe it causes any problems. If done right, you can't tell there is any rubber there at all unless you turn the shoe over.
    Maybe this is why he quit?

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've not used a topy at this point, but I would think if shoes were given proper time to rest between wearings that the breathing issue wouldn't be a problem.

What about welted shoes with all rubber soles? They wouldn't be able to breathe through the sole at all. Do rubber soled shoes suffer any because of this?

3. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

What I'm curious about is how exactly the damage to the sole is described.

4. Soph

Soph Senior member

Funny, Tony G. recommends a thin rubber covering over part of a leather sole, even on bespoke shoes, and does not believe it causes any problems. If done right, you can't tell there is any rubber there at all unless you turn the shoe over.

I would agree. Brooks Shoe in Chicago uses such thin, well done 'toppy' you would have no idea. I still only do this on boots not dress shoes.

5. rabbimark

rabbimark Well-Known Member

I would agree. Brooks Shoe in Chicago uses such thin, well done 'toppy' you would have no idea. I still only do this on boots not dress shoes.

therein lies the rub. I used to have all my shoes Topy'ed but gave it up when I couldn't find a cobbler who could do it properly. And by properly I mean without turning the shoe into a Frankenstein boot. Don't know if I'd have the courage, even with a great cobbler, to Topy an EG or JL or Grenson ...

6. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

I like the look of a leather sole and heel. There's also nothing quite like the sound they make when walking. Why sacrifice the handsome sole for a synthetic patch?

7. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I have a pair of JM Westons which I wore for about 1 year before getting a thin rubber sole put on them. I notice that they feel a little bit different but I have a hard time pinning down the difference. They feel more secure in grip and maybe a little softer walking. I was concerned that the sole would make feet feel more warm but that hasn't occured.

8. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

Many of the shoes in my Minsk wardrobe have Topy oversoles. The crazy thing about Topy oversoles is that when they finally do wear down, they seem to be even more slippery than the leather they cover!

I received a nasty concussion from a slip and fall while we were visiting with friends at Dudutki last January. The old Topy-covered Grenson derbies I'm wearing in the right-hand panel were over my head and silhouetted against the sky faster than anything I've ever experienced.

You can see what was on the ground. It was the first good snow of the year and the paths were icy and slick. Fortunately, the sable hat and some of Dudutki's famous vodka saved me from further injury.

[​IMG]

9. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I've used them on many pairs of shoes . . . some are very old. Haven't perceived any problem. Also, I like how they feel under my feet . . .

10. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I agree that the look is not apparent with Topy, but I am surprised Gaziano recommends it. It is not quite a purist's recommendation, I would have thought.

11. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

... if I remember correctly, no one has actually witnessed any sole damage resulting from it. [​IMG]

That's because the owners of said shoes have all died of gangrene after long periods of blindness.

On a different note, my only pair of MTM Lattanzis came with a pair of rubber thingies to glue on the sole if I chose.

12. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

And by properly I mean without turning the shoe into a Frankenstein boot.
    Seriously. They're impercetible unless you cross your legs and someone looks at your sole from the right angle.

13. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Fortunately, the sable hat and some of Dudutki's famous vodka saved me from further injury.

ergo, if one must wear topy'd shoes, it is always handy to have vodka within arms' reach.

14. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I have Topy applied to at least the toes of even my EGs and Lobbs. I don't usually get them applied to the whole sole as it's really the toes where the heavy wear occurs.

15. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

I have Topy applied to at least the toes of even my EGs and Lobbs. I don't usually get them applied to the whole sole as it's really the toes where the heavy wear occurs.

I have similar issue with toe wear. I tried metal taps, but they are slippery and because they are small, the toe tips still get worn down. I also contemplated flush metal toe plates, but I think they will also be slippery and will wear down quickly.

I might try Topy for the toe area only. This might be a good compromise.