• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green vs. Gaziano @ Girling (w/pics)

tlmusic

Reaction score
Gaziano & Girling vs. Edward Green

I thought it might be fun to compare two fine examples of English craftsmanship. Excuse the poor quality pictures. I'm just learning how to post images, and black shoes are really difficult to photograph!

For comparison we have two pairs of black stitch cap oxfords. Both shoes are marked UK 9 1/2 E.

Here is the Edward Green Chelsea 202 Last (cost--$975 w/ free shipping) from Sky Shoes in DC.

Next, we have a Gaziano & Girling Oxford GG06 Last (cost 500GBP including shipping-which was approximately $1000 at the time of purchase) ordered directly from Dean Girling.

Note the differences in styling. The G&G shoe (R) has a much more elongated toe cap. At first, I wasn't so sure about the virtues of the elongated toe cap, but I think it looks much better when the shoe is being worn. The Chelsea features a "swan's neck" stitching by the laces.

The Chelsea (above) is 11 7/8" long. The G&G's (below) are longer at 12 1/4".

Note the G&G shoe (in front) has a beautiful beveled waist. This exquisite detail did not really show up in the photos, it is quite striking in person.

tlmusic

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
How does the fit compare? The G&G looks bigger in general.

The G&G definitely has a nicer waist.

I have not had a chance to wear the shoes much, but the initial impressions are the G&G's are more comfortable for my feet.

The G&G's are slightly wider, especially in the toe box, which is contrary to all the stories of G&G making a narrow shoe. Dean Girling told me that the G&G is 1/16" wider than EG 202. I'm not sure how he is measuring. He said that the GG lasts fit closest to the EG 888. I have never been able to try on a EG 888 in my proper size, so I can't comment on that.

Even though the G&G shoe is longer, I don't have any problem with too much space at the heel, possibly because I have a high instep.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice shoes. I'm jealous you have both.

Frittata

Reaction score
For a plain, black business captoe the GG is almost to agressive
plain.gif

Which last is the GG on? I've never heard of the 06 last ..

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
While both are great quality shoes, imo the Edward Green looks much nicer.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
While both are great quality shoes, imo the Edward Green looks much nicer.

+1

Proportions are more harmonious on the EG. The G&G reminds of the C&J 337.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I favor the styling of the EG as well on this one, but there are G&G styles I really love.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I prefer the G&G pair; they look a lot more sculpted. In comparison, the EGs are too much like a pair of pill capsules.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I prefer the G&G shoes. I think they look a lot more sculpted. In comparison, the EG pair seems too much like a pair of pill capsules.

Keep in mind that the EG is on the 202, which is hardly their sleekest last. The 888/82 strike a appropriate mean between the sleekness of the G&G and the conservatism of the 202.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Keep in mind that the EG is on the 202, which is hardly their sleekest last. The 888/82 strike a appropriate mean between the sleekness of the G&G and the conservatism of the 202.

I do like the 888 last a lot better than the 202, so I'm sure it would be a closer call for me if it were the 888 we were looking at. But that doesn't change the fact that I prefer the G&G pair in this particular comparison
smile.gif

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I prefer the G&G pair; they look a lot more sculpted. In comparison, the EGs are too much like a pair of pill capsules.

to me the 202 last looks like it has had it nose chopped off almost orthapedic - i think it is time to retire the 202, in fact while i was in the EG store in london last week they said they dont have any 202's to try and the only shoe they had on the 606 was the Dover might be a sign
plain.gif

ColeFieldHouse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luk-cha
to me the 202 last looks like it has had it nose chopped off almost orthapedic - i think it is time to retire the 202, in fact while i was in the EG store in london last week they said they dont have any 202's to try and the only shoe they had on the 606 was the Dover might be a sign
plain.gif

202 looks infinitely better with a medallion. Plain toe, it looks like a stubby ol'AE.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ColeFieldHouse
202 looks infinitely better with a medallion. Plain toe, it looks like a stubby ol'AE.

the pic's of the 202 from the 80's make the last look really nice but these recent pictures seem to to it no favors and it look awfull!

tlmusic

Reaction score
Lots of interesting comments...

I wish I had the time to take some HQ pics of these shoes before the soles get mucked up.

Looking at the shoes in person, one is impressed that they are well-made, and the details are attractive. People like to take sides, but both brands look pretty darn good.

Next to an Allen Edmonds (I just tried it), the 202 looks like a beauty queen.

Viewing both shoes side by side, as they sit on the floor, I have to admit the Chelsea has a much more integrated design. However, the G&G looks somewhat better when actually wearing them. The elongated toecap would probably best suit guys with medium to small feet. If someone had big feet, the long shoe might not balance very well.

As far as quality goes, both shoes are great, but the G&G exudes something a little special. The attention to detail is a little finer, at least to my non-shoemaker eyes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads