Edward green trunk show in nyc

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TimelessRider, Feb 5, 2004.

1. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

I'm not sure what the pricing will be like or whether I'll order anything but it'll be good to get sized on their various lasts and just to chat with their rep.

2. dah328

dah328 Senior member

Being generally unfamiliar with trunk shows but interested in reasonably priced EG shoes, are discounts typical at trunk shows? Is there a place where I can find more info on this?

thanks,

dan

3. TimelessRider

The will be a 20% discount and possibly other incentives.  Unfortunately I'm not sure whether it's 20% off Edward Green UK pricing or 20% off after the Jay Kos markup.  This is why I said I wan't sure about pricing in my original post.

Should be interesting no matter what.

4. MPS

MPS Senior member

This thread reminded me that I was going to post a picture of my EG's made on the 808 last. I'm having problems posting full size pictures via photoisland (when I save the picture as a link for auction etc., this reduces its size): can anyone offer any suggestions about rectifying this problem?

5. TimelessRider

Sign up at http://www.hpphoto.com 100 MB free account. Â Easily linkable at the original size you upload. Â I've just started using it and I like it a lot. Or you can email me the pic and I'll upload it for you. I would love to see your pics.

6. MPS

MPS Senior member

7. TimelessRider

Very nice. Dark oak seems like one of their nicest leathers though I've only seen it in catalogs and pictures

8. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very nice indeed. Just out of curiosity, how much are the EG trees?

9. jcusey

I can't say with certitude, but I would imagine that it's 20% off Kos's prices. Since there is usually a 15-20% upcharge for special orders, that means that you'll be able to do special orders for the same price that Jay Kos charges for his stock shoes.

As a point of reference, the most recent prices that I've been quoted for EG special orders were $850 for shoes and $900 for boots through a retailer in New Orleans and £450 for shoes and £485 ex VAT for boots through the EG Burlington Arcarde store in London.

I would think that it would be worth going even if you don't plan on ordering through Kos just to be able to handle the goodies.

10. TimelessRider

Shoe trees are £49.00 inc. VAT. In the US I believe they are $100.

There doesn't seem to be much difference between ordering from England or ordering from a dealer in the US. At the current exchange rate of £1=$1.83467, a £485 boot should be about $890. Is there any advantage to ordering from the Burlington Arcade?

11. jcusey

Well, I'm trying a little experiment. My special order from the retailer in New Orleans took 9 months, and my hypothesis is that the Burlington Arcade store will be more successful in getting the attention of the factory. In addition, the shoe that I ordered is not in the present EG catalogue, and I felt more comfortable dealing with people who knew what I was talking about rather than routing it through a US retailer who probably would not. And I just love the stilted e-mail style that you typically get from British merchants.

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do they sign their e-mails off with: "Your most obedient servant"?

13. Phil

Phil Senior member

from my own personal experience of special orders placed with Edward Green (1 pair of oxfords, 2 pairs of boots), there was no 15-20% special order charge. I was charged normal retail prices from Richard's of Greenwich (about $695.00).

14. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

So, you can get a pair of EG shoes from Richard's of Greenwich (and will ship thru the mail) for $695?? Wow. I might order some; looking for a really great pair of dark brown shoes that would set off a dark grey suit. recommendations?

15. jcusey

My understanding is that if the special order is actually an in-stock shoe, EG will charge in-stock prices. Some retailers pass this on to the customers.

EG prices in the US have gone up dramatically over the last 10 months due to the deterioration of the dollar vis-a-vis the pound.