• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward Green Top Drawer Worth the Money?

Braid

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind advise.
Attached for your reference is the sketch drawing provided from EG at the time of oder, which clearly shows the split to stitched all way though from the sole edge to the apron.
People at EG just do not put their foot in my shoe....
The drawing is really explanatory and should set the matter once and for all. I would politely tell them that the product delivered does not reflect what was agreed and the sketch proves that, if it's not possible to fix this I would ask for a remake of the shoes without the split toe or a different design (at no extra cost for you).

The leather and colour look amazing, do you have a picture of the whole shoe?

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
The drawing is really explanatory and should set the matter once and for all. I would politely tell them that the product delivered does not reflect what was agreed and the sketch proves that, if it's not possible to fix this I would ask for a remake of the shoes without the split toe or a different design (at no extra cost for you).

The leather and colour look amazing, do you have a picture of the whole shoe?
Thank you for your prompt response. The shoes are returned to their factory and the attached is the biggest image of the shoes. I have contacted the Managing Directress, who seem to be not willing to remake the pair...

Attachments

• IMG_4278.jpeg
    IMG_4278.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 213

Braid

Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt response. The shoes are returned to their factory and the attached is the biggest image of the shoes. I have contacted the Managing Directress, who seem to be not willing to remake the pair...
The shoes are great but I don't think it's acceptable to keep it as they are considering you payed for the very top and agreed on a design that hasn't be delivered. I would insist they need to find a solution..

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind message. I would hope people at EG would understand how I am feeling now.
Have a nice day.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
........because I know there are shoes made by EG with the same raised apron with little clearance per the other photo attached hereto.

There has been very bad communication on EG's part.

The 'Belgravia' (like most loafers) is a whole-cut. The apron is not a separate piece, but gets created through a row of stitching. Look at your drawing, fold it out and you have the pattern. To make a proper toe seam, the whole pattern would have to be different: an inside and an outside piece going from toe to heal and a separate apron. There shouldn't have been any difficulty to create a new pattern. On the other hand, if EG was not willing to do that, they should have refused the commission.

Whoever accepted the order in the Jermyn Street shop should have known this or cleared up with the factory whether or not they are willing to do that. If the 'top drawer' department had concluded that a new pattern was getting too much into fully bespoke, they could have contacted you and explained what was within and what was outside their remit. EG has several loafers with proper toe seams in their program. They could have just utilized one of those patterns and added the tassels of the 'Belgravia'.

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
Here are article photos of EG in a Japanese mag some years ago.
The lid of the green box says "We just want to make the "Best" shoes we can."

Attachments

• Mag.jpeg
    Mag.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 215
  • The Motto.jpeg
    The Motto.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 159

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There has been very bad communication on EG's part.

The 'Belgravia' (like most loafers) is a whole-cut. The apron is not a separate piece, but gets created through a row of stitching. Look at your drawing, fold it out and you have the pattern. To make a proper toe seam, the whole pattern would have to be different: an inside and an outside piece going from toe to heal and a separate apron. There shouldn't have been any difficulty to create a new pattern. On the other hand, if EG was not willing to do that, they should have refused the commission.

Whoever accepted the order in the Jermyn Street shop should have known this or cleared up with the factory whether or not they are willing to do that. If the 'top drawer' department had concluded that a new pattern was getting too much into fully bespoke, they could have contacted you and explained what was within and what was outside their remit. EG has several loafers with proper toe seams in their program. They could have just utilized one of those patterns and added the tassels of the 'Belgravia'.

As ever a fountain of knowledge!

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
As ever a fountain of knowledge!
At the time of estimate of order, EG told me "Top Drawer(Pattern Change)"
They just forgot what they quoted. The Sketch for approval also says own pattern.
I understand NOT their own pattern but my own pattern. Haha

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the UK firms are not the same as the Japanese firms in terms of honoring their details, and the level of control down the production line can be lost - the person who took the order clearly didn't communicate about the pattern, nor was he or she aware of the complexities when they took the order. Unfortunately, once the money is handed over, the deal is sealed, whereas in Japan the deal is when the shoes are handed over. And the Managing Directress knows that there are a lot of Japanese clients who are interested in the Britshness of their shoes, and they can easily lose one customer and replace him with another. Its very sad that this is the ethic of standard and service under which they operate. I believe that Japan has now surpassed the standards of design and quality in top end shoes, and I'd keep your business onshore - take it as a lesson learned, but don't give up your fight - as clearly you must be disappointed with those toes - I'd bring them in to the Ginza shop too, and see if they can intermediate (Thats the shop that the managing directress directed me into a shoe too narrow for my feet, and had me lose all my money on a pair I could not wear). Don't give up - I believe they will eventually give in, but keep at it and win, for all is on your side. I will never buy an Edward Green again, and I guess you too, but those top drawers are priced more than some Japanese bespoke shoes, so they can stick it up their **** as far as I'm concerned. I lost $1500 due to her bad recommendation when they didn't have my size, and I've got no patience for that firm as you can see! Good luck with your fight.

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
A very old brochure of EG shoes in late 70's even before last 202 was created.
At this time, I refrain from showing off you guys the beautiful contents:cool:.

Attachments

• IMG_4263.jpg
    IMG_4263.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
And a unique way how people apologize up there in the UK.

Attachments

• IMG_4322.jpg
    IMG_4322.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not take your shoes to Ginza and take up the complaint in - person with a sales associate maybe that would give more weight... I don't know...

The Well Shoed Chap

Reaction score
Why not take your shoes to Ginza and take up the complaint in - person with a sales associate maybe that would give more weight... I don't know...
I placed my order directly with their Jermyn Street store and it is not fair to bother them in Ginza run by a different company. Many thanks for your kind advice anyway.

Last edited:

Maximus Rex

Reaction score
I've bought my 30+ pairs of EG all ready made, however, I did have a pair of Oundles made TD and they had to be redone once, and still had an issue with the color, which I just accepted at the end. Wouldn't go that route again, honestly. Service was fine, but the end product was not as expected.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads